67 coupe I6 to 351W conversion help! - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

67 coupe I6 to 351W conversion help!

Hey guys just thought id ask for any tips that could help me build my stang. I'm 19, don't know shit about cars, and don't have all the money in the world for this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Will post pics of the project soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Another question. I was planning on getting a 9" rear end for it but just don't know what kind to get(lenght,from what vheicle,etc...) a guy told me I could get the complete rear end off a 89-91 lincoln mark VII,cut the coil spring brackets and that it bolts right on...oh and he said I could even use the driveshaft but the thing that gets me is that its an 8.8 not a 9...what do y'all suggest? Thanks
post #3 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Rear end

Another question. I was planning on getting a 9" rear end for it but just don't know what kind to get(lenght,from what vheicle,etc...) a guy told me I could get the complete rear end off a 89-91 lincoln mark VII,cut the coil spring brackets and that it bolts right on...oh and he said I could even use the driveshaft but the thing that gets me is that its an 8.8 not a 9...what do y'all suggest? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Lost in the 60's

Welcome to MM Forums...

I have a few questions,

What is your budget?
Do you have a Daily Driver?
Who is going to do the work?

This way we can better advise you.
post #5 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Well the budget is around 4-5K and that's to get it running,doing a few body mods(shaving doors,3" cowl hood scoop),and several other things here and there. This is just a project that I've had since I was 17 that I haven't been able to do much of because of school work etc..I have a daily driver that takes most of my money so that's y my buget isn't too high. I sold the stock I6 along with the tranny and bought a 4 barrel 351w that came off an 87 bronco. A friend rebuilt the motor and painted it for me so now I need a tranny???? (Don't know what would be best). Some say a c4 others a c6 then some dude said some kind of tremec would be amazing. Don't really have the money for trial and error so I'm waiting till I find the best thing to do. The body and paint is getting done by a family friend that's really good with bodywork so that's no problem. I'm just clueless about the suspension,motor mounts, rear end(gears,posi,lfrom what car) , transmission, bigger radiator??, driveshaft,brakes. Too many questions and way too many diff answers. And also a fairly small budget. Just thankful for any tips I get and ill make the best of them.
post #6 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Well that budget is as of right now. Once I graduate I plan on adding a couple of more things for better performance but I just can't wait that long to hear it rumble so right now I'm just trying to get things I can upgrade laterwithout having to replace them and spending twice as much, but also getting the best bang for my buck.
post #7 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I thought i had posted earlier but i guess it didnt work. Well my budget is 4-5k to just get it running,do a few body mods(shave doors,3" cowl hood scoop)and for a couple of little things here and there. This is just a project ive had since i was about 17 but just havent been able to do much to it due to school and now work. My daily driver is eating up most of my money so therefore i dont really have much to spend on it for now. i took the stock I6 and tranny out and everything else i still have. I bought a 4 barrel windsor that came off an 87 bronco but not sure what tranny i should get for it since some people say c4 others c6 and once a guy mentioned some kinda tremec tranny that he said would be real good. Right now im looking to get the best bang for my buck that i can later add to and make better without having to buy things twice. i bought the windsor at a junkyard(as to i hope to buy other things to save money) and paid a friend to rebuild it and paint it. Ive had the motor sitting on a stand for a while now not knowing what tranny to buy or anything. Im just looking for a few tips from guys who actually know about classics(YALL)and not just a regular joe..lol..anything regarding suspension,motor mounts,mufflers,driveshaft,brakes, bigger radiator???, rear end(size,posi,gears,from what vehicle that would be compatible) anything that could help me,and of course what transmission would be best.the body im not too worried about since a family friend who's really good with body work is gonna help me fix it and getting it looking good for the paint.I know my budget aint much and i might be asking for too much but i just cant wait to hear my baby finally rumble. this stuff is just for now as i plan on stroking out my engine and adding more performance parts when i graduate from school and make a bit more money. I REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP THANKS!!!
post #8 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

The front coils, sway bar, and brakes aren't made to handle a V8. You also have to get new frame mounts since the I6 ones will not work, and most likely have to get a new radiator unless you can make the old one work by finding the right size hoses. I would personally go with a T5 transmission, either 8" or 8.8 rear end, 1" drop coils for the front, at l east a 1" front sway bar, monte carlo bar, disc brakes on the front, also have to consider buying your paint, have to get new wheels since you will be going from 4 to 5 lug, might need a suspension rebuild kit, steering might need rebuilding, might have to get a V8 driveshaft since the I6 might not be large enough, either buy mufflers and have a shop do the rest or buy a complete exhaust kit, also have to decide on headers or manifolds.

Think I covered most except for the clutch setup. I've had people tall me to take your expected spending on the car and double it and that is what you will really spend. So far that has been fairly true. I wasn't expecting to spend over 1k on redoing the exterior, but so far I have spent over $1400 and that price will raise past 2k before May.

Last edited by BA Mustang; January 14th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old January 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang67coupe View Post
You would have to cut off the coil spring brackets and then weld on leaf spring brackets in the right spot or the rear end would be off.
post #10 of 12 Old January 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

if you are not going over 600 hp i would do an 8 inch rear and save a bunch of bucks.

i sixing 200 six with 300 hp.
post #11 of 12 Old January 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Lost in the 60's

For the budget you have,

I would go with a:
C4 Auto
8" Rear end
What Trans did you have in your car? If you had a C4 Auto you could of used it, If you still have the drive shaft you can still use it with a 8" rearend with the new U joints.

The Front end you can do the disc brake swap.

Link to Brakes

post #12 of 12 Old January 20th, 2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips guys! i think ima go with a c4 and run an 8.8 posi behind it. Thanks for the disc brake link mustangOne! time to hit the junkyards and learn how to put it all together. i have a general idea but nothing too big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page