Driveshaft too long? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old April 18th, 2006, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Driveshaft too long?

67 Coupe
4bbl 289
Conversion from 6

I ordered a custom drive shaft and it seems they made it exactly to specs, not leaving the 3/4'' to 1'' play needed for axle travel. I could be wrong but I can't get the u joints past the cener bolt in the diff to bolt them on. I really don't want to have to send it back or risk them saying they did everything I asked and refuse to redo it if it's even wrong. What suggestions do you have for geting it on?

Should I try cutting off a bit of the slip yoke? Grind down the bolt on the diff? Try to move the axle back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old April 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bossman351
First thing I would do is make sure everything else is located properly. If its not something out of place I would send it back. Think about it, its a custom piece and its wrong. If you go cutting on it you will be stuck with it any way it goes and cutting the yoke wont fix it anyways. the yoke isnt too long the shaft is.

post #3 of 7 Old April 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Your absolutly right. I just hate to have to wait another week to get back on the road. She's been sitting for about 3 months as it is.

The problem seems to be that bolt in the center of the pinion yoke. It wasn't mentioned in any of the directions for measurments. If I can get past that I can see if there is enough travel. I never touched the tranny and the the axle I put on was used in the mesurments. It has a little round tab on the leaf springs that it fits right over so it has to be in the right place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old April 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Try lifting it from a solid point on the body and letting the rearend drop some. See if that changes your measurement eough to get the shaft in. If it goes in BE SURE to lower the jack slowly so that if its still too tight it doesnt jam the output shaft and bind the tranny.

post #5 of 7 Old April 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I tried this by lowering/raising just the carrier but no luck. Will have to try lifting the car instead as you suggest. once on I'll need 3/4'' to 1'' room of travel correct?
post #6 of 7 Old April 18th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

As long as its not bottomed out on the output shaft and it on far enough that youre not worried it might fall off.

post #7 of 7 Old April 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I got the shaft on and tested the travel of he axle. All is well. Seems the slip yoke was not going in all the way.
A the behest of the shaft maker I put in my old worn one and hammered it all the way in to remove any possible burrs. No idea what could've kept it from going in that last inch. I hope the pounding didin't damage the tranny.

Thanks for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page