'65 Coupe 351w - Page 23 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #441 of 885 Old April 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM
You had one job!

Looking good! Hope that v-tech works out for you .

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 885 Old April 20th, 2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

post #443 of 885 Old April 21st, 2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Wow, what a long day. It took 8 hours to assemble, then 2 for cutting and buffing. They wanted to buff more, but I had to hit the road. I'm a little less than halfway home, and had to stop for the night. I'll do a big thread tomorrow with lots of details, for now I'll just throw up a few pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #444 of 885 Old April 21st, 2013, 01:47 AM
Regular

very nice

post #445 of 885 Old April 21st, 2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

More pictures.

Body Gaps:

This side of the bumper needs a wedge shaped shim to line up. We didn't have time to cut one, so I'll have to do that later.

Some of the painted trim pieces:

I bought these small LED lights on eBay to use as side blinkers. They are actually really nice solid metal pieces, and I only paid about $8 for the pair:

And Mustang Project Sequential LEDs

Some pictures in the sun:

post #446 of 885 Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:58 PM
You had one job!

Looks awesome man. Congrats! Really loving the stance.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold

MY CO BUILD
post #447 of 885 Old April 24th, 2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I dug into the front wheels today, and what I found wasn't pretty. The passenger side bearing appears to have exploded, tearing up the bearing race in the rotor, and galling itself to the spindle. I wasted $50 at the machine shop having it pressed off the spindle only to find out it was not salvageable. I only found 1 spindle in a junkyard around here, and they wanted $80 for it

I've decided to go with a set of spindles from CSRP. These will work with all of my Granada parts the PO put in, but correct my steering geometry. Hope to get them by the weekend.

post #448 of 885 Old April 24th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I'm in love with your car. One day, one day...I will buy a thrown away mustang and turn it back into what it should be. What a great side project and weekend ride you have now!

How long (total months) has this entire experience taken you?
From junkyard to back on the road rumbling up the street?

-----------------------------------------------
2011 Mustang 5.0 GT, 6MT, 3.73's
Performance white, Roush CAI, Roush Axle Back
post #449 of 885 Old April 25th, 2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I picked the car up on November 6th, 2010. And every spare second not spent with the kids or working has been spent on the car. I'm so glad to be at a spot where I can finally enjoy it.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!!
post #450 of 885 Old May 7th, 2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Did some shopping tonight. Probably 100 things I need more than a stereo, but it is a high profile item to SWMBO, and anything that makes the car more civilized in her mind gets a super high priority right now

Rockford Fosgate Prime 600-Watt 5-Channel Amplifier

Pioneer DEH-X8500BS CD receiver with MIXTRAX, HD-Radio, Bluetooth, and SiriusXM Ready

Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers

Polk Audio db1040 10-Inch Single Voice Coil Subwoofer

I didn't order front speakers because I still haven't decided what size they will be. Still looking for door panels that will hold speakers so I don't have to use kick panels.
post #451 of 885 Old May 7th, 2013, 11:49 PM
You had one job!

Why avoiding kick panels? That should be a nice system! I haven't hooked my stereo back up yet and it's missed greatly. I already have kick panel speakers so ill just keep them. I can't decide on a new head unit is why I haven't hooked it up. Only want to wire it up one time.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold

MY CO BUILD
post #452 of 885 Old May 8th, 2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I don't like the way kick panel speakers sound, and I tend to kick them a lot, I'm a fan of my foot room.

Check out the unit I listed above. Should have plenty of features for most uses.
post #453 of 885 Old May 13th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Regular

looks awesome congrats on a long project coming in for the home stretch.

89 Fox convertible https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...y-new-toy.html
67 for my daughterhttps://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...pic-heavy.html
I also have a supercharged 65 65 myway
post #454 of 885 Old May 13th, 2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I spent about six hours on the car Friday, not much pic worthy. I got 3 sets of RCA cables and 2 pair of speaker wire pulled from the trunk to the front, along with the power and remote trigger for the amp. All 3 RCA and all the speaker wires run down the drivers side (really tight fit) and all the power stuff runs down the passenger side. I also got the weatherstripping around the doors and drip rails done. I got all the rubber parts from CJPP (only because I had a gift card) and I was not impressed with it at all. The door and drip rail pieces were both about 5 inches too long. It was easy to trim the drip rail because they only had one molded end, but the doors had two molded ends, so I had to cut the excess from the middle

I also got the upper grill installed. As a tip, be sure to lay down some masking paper when you glue in the rubber, in case any of the gunk drips:

post #455 of 885 Old May 13th, 2013, 10:48 PM
You had one job!

Really looks good. I love the grill.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold

MY CO BUILD
post #456 of 885 Old May 15th, 2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I got the seat covers in today. Not happy with them at all. I'm wondering if I got knock off Clazzios. I've seen several sets before, and they all fit very tight, and took a lot of work to get installed. These slipped right on and are not tight at all

On the top I can probably add some padding to the backside to pull the front in tight, but I have no idea what to do on the bottom besides add extra padding to the seat, which I don't want.

post #457 of 885 Old May 16th, 2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Finally got a full day to work on the car. I took it to have the dynomax muffler put on, then I had the alignment checked since I put on new spindles. I also had them add more camber to the alignment since the last shop couldn't figure out how to add shims to the UCA. After that I washed it and took a bunch of pics because I promised the body shop I would send them some. I'm just going to dump them here and send a link. I do a full post later comparing the dynomax to the flowmaster along with decible readings and clips.

post #458 of 885 Old May 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM

That came out really nice! Good work man.

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe
post #459 of 885 Old June 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

This ride is HOT HOT HOT!!!

The breaking news of the month is that it is freaking HOT!!!! It didn't take long for AC to get moved up the priority list straight to #1. I've decided to go with the OLD AIR HURRICANE unit that includes the all electronic controls.

My first order of business was to try and get the bracket mounted in the engine bay and determine if I could use my existing 2-groove billet pulley, or if I'm going to have to use the ugly cast iron 3-groove they sent over (or spend more cash for a billet 3-groove). Before I had turned the first wrench I had determined that I was going to have to hack some things up. I used a really large bolt to plug the smog holes on my AFR heads, and the top of the bolt was interfering with the bracket. I wasn't keen on grinding off half of the bolt just in case I ever need to remove it, so I decided to notch the bracket:

After the bracket was installed, I noticed that the AC compressor had a 2-groove pulley on it, and sure enough, the inner groove lined up perfectly with the outer groove on my 2-groove crank pulley. What doesn't line up is the idler arm. I am either going to have to trim the idler bracket or use a 3-groove pulley. I plan on looking into how I would trim the idler arm tomorrow.

The other issue I have that will need to addressed regardless is that since I swapped to the Griffin cross flow radiator, my upper hose passes right through where the compressor needs to be. I think I am going to have a piece of stainless exhaust pipe bent by a muffler shop that will clear the compressor. Either that or shell out for a cool-flex hose. I'm strongly leaning towards the pipe, because it would be less than half the cost of the cool-flex hose.

post #460 of 885 Old June 18th, 2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I decided that cutting the idler arm just use a billet crank pulley was dumb, you can't see the crank pulley once you put everything on anyway. I swapped in the 3 groove pulley and everything lines up nicely, however I ran into another problem with the bracket. Old Air list the same kit for a 289/302/351, so I assumed that the bracket would have holes for both 302 deck height and 351 deck height (for mounting to the head). Well we all know what my pappy used to say about assuming. Something about a mule and you and me....

I had to make a template of my head and drill new holes in the bracket so that I could mount the support bolts. I'll take pictures tomorrow when I'm done, I need a bigger step drill bit to finish up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/207806-65-coupe-351w.html
Posted By For Type Date
installing Old Air Hurricane system - Vintage Mustang Forums This thread Refback February 8th, 2016 11:01 PM
Anyone Buy a Right Fender Lately for a '65? - Vintage Mustang Forums This thread Refback August 31st, 2014 06:50 AM
Rustoleum paint job? - Vintage Mustang Forums This thread Refback April 19th, 2014 08:59 AM
1966 Front Suspension Upgrade - MustangForums.com This thread Refback February 5th, 2014 01:05 PM
1966 Front Suspension Upgrade - MustangForums.com This thread Refback December 26th, 2013 06:29 PM
66 mustang eleanor front end help - MustangForums.com This thread Refback December 24th, 2013 12:23 AM
66 mustang eleanor front end help - MustangForums.com This thread Refback September 24th, 2013 04:05 PM
351w knocking damaged crank. - YouTube This thread Refback September 5th, 2012 08:14 AM
Toploader hurst shifter and shifter kit - Vintage Mustang Forums Post #152 Pingback August 30th, 2012 02:15 PM
351w knocking damaged crank. - YouTube This thread Refback June 23rd, 2012 01:40 PM
351w knocking damaged crank. - YouTube This thread Refback May 6th, 2012 04:24 PM
351w knocking damaged crank. - YouTube This thread Refback April 20th, 2012 07:17 PM
Hurst Shifter - Vintage Mustang Forums Post #152 Pingback April 1st, 2012 04:25 PM
Vintage Mustang Forums - Removing Lower Control Arms This thread Refback January 3rd, 2012 07:48 PM
Removing Lower Control Arms - Vintage Mustang Forums Post #237 Pingback January 1st, 2012 12:49 AM
yea, another rack and pinion question! - Vintage Mustang Forums This thread Refback December 20th, 2011 01:13 PM