'65 Coupe 351w - Page 39 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #761 of 885 Old December 8th, 2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Best I can ascertain (there wasn't much left) the #2 or #3 plug wire got into the header and started the fire. Luckily it was on the passenger side away from the fuel lines. It burned up plug wires 1-4, the heater valve, and the alternator harness. Also burned the paint pretty bad on the underside of the hood. Luckily I keep an extinguisher in the car and caught it before it got too bad. The car was warming up in the garage and I heard it backfiring so I went to check on it. Pretty obvious why it was backfiring... plug wires on fire.

Fixing the paint on the bottom of the hood will be the hardest thing. I can replace all the burned up stuff in a weekend.

I've already ordered some of these because I've always had a problem keeping the plug wire boots off of these god awful swap headers:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #762 of 885 Old December 8th, 2015, 08:34 PM
You had one job!

I lost half the headlight harness in a similar incident. Yeah that sucks about the paint especially after MTF did such a fantastic job.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #763 of 885 Old December 10th, 2015, 08:03 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Edgethis
That sucks to see that happen, i'm glad you caught it before it got too bad.

I would still be careful with those sleeves, I recently had a similar experience with my starter wire which was in one of those sleeves, it became super brittle after being exposed to the heat for so long and the fabric started fusing to the wire.

1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5 Build Thread
1968 Mustang fastback 351w/C4 Fastback Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #764 of 885 Old December 10th, 2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

God I hate these headers. I wish I had just cut the towers out and gone MII.

post #765 of 885 Old December 11th, 2015, 04:01 AM
Regular

Sorry to see that happen. Thank goodness for the fire extinguisher.
post #766 of 885 Old December 11th, 2015, 09:09 AM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzride View Post
God I hate these headers. I wish I had just cut the towers out and gone MII.
It's never too late:

Mustangs to Fear Mustang Parts Catalog - Select a Year

post #767 of 885 Old December 11th, 2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

It is too late.... ripping the car that far apart again would result in divorce.

post #768 of 885 Old December 12th, 2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

As with anything, this little chore is spiraling quick.

The fire melted servo on the heater valve. Old Air says they can't get that same servo anymore, so they had to send me a new valve with a different servo on it. The wiring for the new servo was different than the old servo so I had to pull the wires all the way back to the climate control panel in the dash. That required ripping the dash apart and disconnecting half of the ducting for the AC and Defroster.....

Since I had the dash apart I decided to replace the inverter on my SpeedHut gauges so the backlights would work again, and to install the new turn signal switch and wiring harness. That led to chasing down some loose connections under the dash that caused the brake lights to randomly not work, and also to spend an hour adjusting the turn signal cancellation cams.

Next on the list will be the alternator harness when it finally arrives.

post #769 of 885 Old December 19th, 2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Everything is put back together and the car is running again. I'll tackle repainting the bottom of the hood at a later date.

post #770 of 885 Old December 19th, 2015, 05:06 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Glad to hear you got it back together.

On a side note, have you looked into this at all? I am really tempted to get one for my car. They have lots of different models.

4 Injector System for up to 600HP #30002 (Matte Black)

post #771 of 885 Old December 19th, 2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

I would love to do an EFI conversion of some sort, and that is the cheapest I have seen yet. But still $1200-$1500 (after fuel system upgrades) is a lot of money to spend on a car that gets driven a few days a month. Especially when I'm wanting to re-paint my daily driver.

post #772 of 885 Old December 20th, 2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

It's running, but not charging and spewing water everywhere?

post #773 of 885 Old December 20th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Turbo > blower

Did you check the belt?

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #774 of 885 Old December 20th, 2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

A few bloody knuckles later and I've improved the situation a bit. The water was spewing because the lower radiator hose was not on the water pump tight. I must have knocked it pretty good with the alternator when i reinstalled the unit because it was barely hanging on.

it also looks like I fried the regulator when everything shorted out during the fire. The alternator is making 15 amps if I disconnect the regulator, so I'll replace that next week.

I'm running hot now, but I hope I just need to burp the radiator now that I've refilled it.

post #775 of 885 Old January 22nd, 2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Side Project ;)

I've always wanted a car with white interior and embarglo paint. When I picked up the XK with Ivory seats..... well it was only a matter of time.

The paint on my car is the one thing about that has always disappointed me a little (I bought the car sight unseen). There were some pretty big scratches that went through the clear on the hood, nose, and drivers quarters.

However I wasn't so sure I wanted a copper car enough that I was willing to drop the coin on a color change paint job without having lived with it first.

I've been following the plastidip craze for about 4 years now, and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to give a whirl. I don't have to get the paint perfect, because if I really do like the color I'm going to spring for a respray, and if I don't like it then I'll just peel it off.

I started with 3 gallons of matte red for a base, then went with 1.5 gallons of high gloss clear with 75 grams of burnt copper alloy pearl.

Unfortunately there was some pretty poor lighting in my garage, and I couldn't tell how much coverage I was getting with the pearl. The sides and roof look great, but there is some serious striping on the hood. Luckily that is easily fixed with a couple more coats of pearl. Maybe I'll have time next week to throw a few more coats on. But it doesn't really matter because if I still like after a few months I'll have it done proper with a real BC/CC this summer.
Genie_92lx likes this.

post #776 of 885 Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:21 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
That looks awesome. I;ve always been cautious of plastidip on a daily, not sure how it'd hold up.

post #777 of 885 Old January 28th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Regular

the copper looks nice although I must say I have always been partial to grey. and that is a dang nice looking car.

I have a question for you AJ. I am always working on something, and lately I have been tinkering with this old YJ jeep anyway I am looking at putting some white face gauges in it and since I plan to upgrade tires and differential down the road I am looking at putting in a programmable tach. the company I bought the MPFI conversion from recommends a gps speedometer instead of tying into the vehicle speed sensor. since you are the only one I know of that has used one of these I wanted to get your opinion of how they are to live with. have you had any issues with yours? any dead spot problems where a signal could not be detected and you lost function etc? those cobalt gauges you have are amazing. Hesco has some for the jeep that are pretty reasonably priced and white faced so easier for my old eyes to see. thanks.

89 Fox convertible https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...y-new-toy.html
67 for my daughterhttps://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...pic-heavy.html
I also have a supercharged 65 65 myway
post #778 of 885 Old January 28th, 2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

My gauges are speeshut, not cobalt. You should check them out, 100% customizable on color, font, graphics, etc.

I've had no problem with the speedometer. It takes about two minutes to pickup the GPS if it has been turned off or indoors for more than an hour, but otherwise I've never had it lose signal. Added benefits are it keeps track of your top speed, best 0-60, best 1/4, and highest G rating.

post #779 of 885 Old January 28th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Regular

ok. thanks. I believe I will give them a try. I just ordered a speedometer and a tachometer. they are not as interesting as a lot of them on there because I like the plain white gauge look. but I like the customizeable option. what do you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge1.png
Views:	36
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	176057  

89 Fox convertible https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...y-new-toy.html
67 for my daughterhttps://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...pic-heavy.html
I also have a supercharged 65 65 myway
post #780 of 885 Old January 28th, 2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Very classic. I like it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/207806-65-coupe-351w.html
Posted By For Type Date
installing Old Air Hurricane system - Vintage Mustang Forums This thread Refback February 8th, 2016 11:01 PM
Anyone Buy a Right Fender Lately for a '65? - Vintage Mustang Forums This thread Refback August 31st, 2014 06:50 AM
Rustoleum paint job? - Vintage Mustang Forums This thread Refback April 19th, 2014 08:59 AM
1966 Front Suspension Upgrade - MustangForums.com This thread Refback February 5th, 2014 01:05 PM
1966 Front Suspension Upgrade - MustangForums.com This thread Refback December 26th, 2013 06:29 PM
66 mustang eleanor front end help - MustangForums.com This thread Refback December 24th, 2013 12:23 AM
66 mustang eleanor front end help - MustangForums.com This thread Refback September 24th, 2013 04:05 PM
351w knocking damaged crank. - YouTube This thread Refback September 5th, 2012 08:14 AM
Toploader hurst shifter and shifter kit - Vintage Mustang Forums Post #152 Pingback August 30th, 2012 02:15 PM
351w knocking damaged crank. - YouTube This thread Refback June 23rd, 2012 01:40 PM
351w knocking damaged crank. - YouTube This thread Refback May 6th, 2012 04:24 PM
351w knocking damaged crank. - YouTube This thread Refback April 20th, 2012 07:17 PM
Hurst Shifter - Vintage Mustang Forums Post #152 Pingback April 1st, 2012 04:25 PM
Vintage Mustang Forums - Removing Lower Control Arms This thread Refback January 3rd, 2012 07:48 PM
Removing Lower Control Arms - Vintage Mustang Forums Post #237 Pingback January 1st, 2012 12:49 AM
yea, another rack and pinion question! - Vintage Mustang Forums This thread Refback December 20th, 2011 01:13 PM