Last night was a total loss, spent the whole thing looking for a pilot bearing. I found a pilot bearing today, but I've decided to wait until the weekend to drop the motor in. I don't want to get in a hurry and screw something else up. Getting in a hurry is what got me in the position to start with. So I'm going to try and knock out some punch list items during the week, and get to the motor on Friday. Besides, I need to let the bearing chill in the freezer some to aid in the install.
I decided I would install my new gas pedal as a nice kickoff to my little things list. I had been using throttle cable and a pedal from a fox body mustang that was sitting in the car when I bought. While I was happy with the cable part of the setup, the fox pedal was in bad shape, and it didn't fit real well in the footwell. I ordered a complete V6 to V8 conversion kit from Mustangs Plus, which came with the foot pedal, the linkage that mounts to the firewall, and the adjustment linkage that connects to the pedal linkage to the carb.
It's a good thing I decided to do a practice assembly on the table, because if I had tried to figure this thing out standing on my head under the steering wheel, I might have gone of the reservation, I didn't think it was possible to be so complicated. The package I was mailed had 3 bags. The first included the linkage that mounts to the firewall. The second included the pedal with a funny looking bolt (more on that in a minute) and a spring. Third included the linkage from the carb to the pedal, along with a bushing, and cotter pin assembly.
The carb to pedal linkage/bushing/cotter pin was very simple, I set it all in place in under 2 minutes, then took it back apart until the motor is in place. The pedal on the other hand, had me scratching my head. The bolt that came with the pedal is stepped. If you think of it left to right, with left being 0% and right being 100%, the first 20% is very thin and smooth, 20% to 40% it is slightly larger and smooth, 40% - 80% section is bigger and threaded, and 80% to 100 % is even larger and smooth:
The pedal has a U-Shaped bracket on the back, with a hole on one side this is clearly for the first ten percent, and a hole on the other that is clearly for the last 10%, its what goes in the middle that kept confusing me. The linkage is not threaded, and the threaded section was to large to go into the linkage:
The only way it would fit together was like so:
But there was nothing holding it together, and the hole in the linkage was much larger than the section of the bolt it was sitting on. Even if I had managed to secure the bolt somehow, the pedal was going to wobble around without a bushing through it. I tried very hard to thread the bolt into the linkage, thinking maybe the threads were there and just hidden by a thick coat of paint, but there were definitely no threads there.
At this point I took to goole to search for images of a 1965 Mustang accelerator picture. There isn't much out there, but I did find two pictures that showed the underside of the pedal, and both of them pictured a nut on the threaded section. They also showed the linkage sitting on the last 10% of the bolt (the larges smooth section) which made perfect sense based on how I thought it should work.
All of this led me to a few possibilities:
A) I was shipped the wrong linkage
B) I was shipped the wrong pedal (which seemed to be missing a nut, whatever car it is supposed to go in)
There is really no way that I see to put the two parts I had together. If this part had been shipped out of Atlanta and I could have gotten a replacement in a day or two, I probably would have called them up and gotten an new on on the way. But since it shipped for Cali, and would take a whole week to replace, I decided it was time to re-engineer what I had. I mean why not? there isn't much else on this car I haven't had to hack up.
I took the linkage out into the garage and secured it in the vise, and went to town with my trusty Dewalt. Turns out, the linkage is made from some sturdy metal, and after killing a fresh battery on the Dewalt without getting even halfway through, I decided it was time for an upgrade. I broke out the corded 1/2" hammer craftsman (sorry guys, no pictures, I'm laying off the tool porn). With the hammer setting on high, I knocked through the last half in about two minutes:
I then ran up to ACE for a nut to fit my threads (1/4" 28 thread pitch):
I then spent the next hour looking up pictures of how to install the spring, and trying two dozen different positions. Finally on a fatal attempt, the spring flew off behind the desk somewhere and I couldn't find it. Since I didn't know of many people who ever got there's to stay in place anyway, I decided to punt for now and try to think of a better solution down the road.