So it has only been five months, but I've finally gotten to this portion of my project. However, instead of trying to put a 67/68 light panel in my 65, I've decided to try and french my 65.
After looking at it, I decided that I could do something similar to what I saw done on the 68, by moving my light box from the outside of the panel to the inside. However, I am going to need to make a custom red lens, and also going to have to weld some dividers into my panel. I started my trial run tonight.
First I removed the chrome bezel and red lens from the assembly:
Ed: This first picture refuses to upload to photobucket, so I borrowed one from the interwebz
Next I removed the light box from the panel:
The studs on the box stick through the panel, and are held on by bolts inside the trunk:
Using a set of pliers, I simply broke the tack welds loose that held the bolts in:
Next I took the light box and set it in from inside the trunk, and placed the broken out bolts on the outside:
From what I see, everything can work. What will happen next is that I will weld the bolts into the tail light panel, and then grind them flush, so that I essentially have studs sticking into the trunk that the light box will bolt to.
Next I will need to weld in some metal strips to divide the panel into three vertical sections (right now it would look like one big light instead of three small ones like all classic mustangs).
Then I will need a piece of flat brake light panel plastic. This is actually been harder to find that I anticipated. I think my best option is to use some sky light plastic from Lowes, and paint it with some candy red paint. The red plastic will get sandwiched in-between the rear panel and the light box (there will probably be a gasket in there too)
Lastly I will need to do a little smoothing on the outside to fill in those two grooves that you can see on the left side of the picture.