Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   Classic Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/)
-   -   T5 conversion (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/376474-t5-conversion.html)

Edgethis March 29th, 2014 08:16 PM

I searched CL for awhile before I got mine. Everyone want to sell you a recently "rebuilt" one for $895. I was able to get a bellhousing from another forum member so that made bargaining a bit better.

brianjames78 March 31st, 2014 08:58 AM

I am getting ready to do this swap in my 68 302 with a C4. I've gone blind reading articles online about the swap and searching for pieces. It really doesn't seem like all that much work. And believe me if I don't think it's going to be that bad then it must be pretty easy :)

Good luck!

meanbgreen March 31st, 2014 04:44 PM

Edgethis is spot on, everyone n their brother has one for 795 or 895 rebuilt or wants a core. They seem very popular the more I look for things. Is a T45 that much harder to install? I would really like to stick to a manual (get it stick manual, haha). I was hoping to find something sooner than later as I don't think my current 3spd has much time on this earth left.

tiger1dd March 31st, 2014 05:22 PM

I put a T5 in my '66. Although, I did a 5.0 conversion, so I just kept everything true to it's Foxbody-roots. I used a modern-driveline cable clutch, but if I were to do it again, it would likely be a McLeod Hydraulic clutch. The crossmember is easily found. I had to 'modify' mine just a tad with an angle grinder, but it was no huge deal.

The fit should be fine though, unless you use an aftermarket shifter. Before I killed my original T5, I had no shifter-hole fitment issues with the stock shifter. When I put in the T5z, I had to open up the shifter-hole so that my Pro-5.0 shifter could fit.

Your driveshaft will likely need to be modified in length, and will also need a different yoke (IIRC).

I definitely enjoy having a 5-speed in a car that never came equipped with them. People's reaction to seeing a 5 speed shift ball are pretty great. Rowing the gears is fun too. It will definitely pep-up your acceleration and/or mpg's, as well (you can only pick one, there, hahaha)

-Dave

Edgethis March 31st, 2014 05:26 PM

I was really tempted to pick up a reman with a warranty from Advance Auto but they needed a VIN for a 93 Mustang for the warranty. :( My luck isn't that good so I just picked up a used one cheap and had it gone over real quick by a shop. Thankfully I only needed to replace 5th gear.

Between the 2 times I had the trans in the shop and the cost for the shifter and stuff I prolly could've gotten a new T5Z. I would go that route if I had to do it over.

There always seem to be something that you didn't anticipate. I had mine planned out for a year and it still was a soup sandwich doing the swap.

My stock C4 yoke worked fine. My driveshaft was prolly ok, but I had it trimmed about a 1/4" and rebalanced anyway. The shop did a super awesome job on it. Here's my 50 year old C4 driveshaft after they cleaned and balanced it for my T5:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/...52921678_c.jpg

meanbgreen March 31st, 2014 11:49 PM

Yea there is something to be said out walking through the gears. Is the T5z just a newer tranny. Just to be clear a t5 out of v6 won't work with my 302. At this point trying to get th most expensive part out of the way.

tiger1dd April 1st, 2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meanbgreen (Post 7884410)
Yea there is something to be said out walking through the gears. Is the T5z just a newer tranny. Just to be clear a t5 out of v6 won't work with my 302. At this point trying to get th most expensive part out of the way.

I believe the T5z was made by "Motorcraft" for the later Cobras. It can handle slightly more power, and has slightly wider gear ratios.

The funny thing is: I bought this T5z as a "regular T5" for $250 from a friend of a friend in a pinch for money. Already had said expensive Pro 5.0 shifter on it, and I curiously ran the tag, only to find out it was a Z.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Edgethis April 1st, 2014 03:01 PM

The T5Z is an updated version of the T5. It came with pretty much all the upgrades the Cobra spec trans had and a different gear ratio.

You can get them new for about $1600 with a warranty. Sometimes they can be found cheaper.

here's some good info:

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Techn...t5_history.htm

meanbgreen April 1st, 2014 06:54 PM

I can use the V6 3.8 T5 and if not happy can later chagne the gearing. alot of knowledge in that link

One last piece of important information. ALL World Class T-5 use ATF (Dextron III) oil and NOT heavy gear oil or Redline MTL! All NON-World Class T-5 use 50 wt gear oil. (The original Ford/Borg-Warner recommendation back in 1984 was Dextron II. As this is no longer available, we and TREMEC recommend the 50 wt gear oil.)

brianjames78 April 2nd, 2014 12:53 PM

I will be doing this swap in my 68 that's currently got a C4. I'm starting to look for parts now in hopes of starting the swap in the fall or over the winter. Does anybody know what clutch pedal assemblies I can use from other vintage Mustangs? Thanks.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...psep0uj0fd.jpg

meanbgreen April 2nd, 2014 03:18 PM

Well as I am finding out it's not a cheap conversion that's for sure. There isn't much round here for transmission on craiglist and other sources, Ebay is all 700 n up for rebuilt with a core charge n by the looks of it most of them are in florida. That price isn't including bellhousing. or the clutch assembly. Wish I had got more back from tax return, lol

Edgethis April 2nd, 2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianjames78 (Post 7897322)
Does anybody know what clutch pedal assemblies I can use from other vintage Mustangs? Thanks.

You can buy the clutch pedal here:

Modern Driveline, Inc. - pedals

You need a clutch pedal for your year car.

meanbgreen April 3rd, 2014 11:50 AM

well even ryin a few places in Idaho to find a transmission. As popular and abundant as they are I'd figure there would be more readily available.

Edgethis April 3rd, 2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meanbgreen (Post 7905850)
well even ryin a few places in Idaho to find a transmission. As popular and abundant as they are I'd figure there would be more readily available.

I have noticed that most of the cars in salvage and junk yards have already been picked clean by "rebuilders". The popularity of the fox body 5.0 is pretty high. Not to mention this is the go-to manual trans for almost any hotrod/kit car.

meanbgreen April 4th, 2014 01:45 PM

So i found a good deal on a T5 from a v8 transam, what's the chance there is an adapter plate to match tranny to ford bell housing to fit 302? Or is it to simple to just change the bell housings?

Edgethis April 4th, 2014 05:30 PM

Should just need a Ford bellhousing. The trans mounts to the bellhousing with 4 bolts, the bell to the engine with 6 bolts.

I don't think theres an adapter to use a GM bellhousing on a Ford engine though.

However, I think you'd have issues with spline counts. I believe the GM shafts have more splines then the Ford ones do.

From Modern Driveline:

GM WC About this time GM entered the WC T-5 with the S-10 and Camaro T-5. Borg Warner produced both a 2x4 and 4x4 T-5 for the S-10 with different gear ratios depending on motor type. The 4x4 model was connected directly to the tranfer case with a short main shaft and tail shaft housing. GM used the T-5 in both the V6 and V8 Camaro’s, but the gear ratios were different, as well as, the bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern. The V8 Camaro received the same bolt pattern as earlier four speeds but with a 22 degree rotation to place the shifter closer to the driver. It is believed that GM changed the bolt pattern of the V6 T-5 so that it couldn’t be installed behind V8 motors. From looking at the outside of a Camaro T-5 it is difficult to tell them apart. GM used the WC T-5 2.95 gear set only in 92-93 IROC Z Camaro’s. In 1994 GM switched to the new T-56.

meanbgreen April 4th, 2014 11:32 PM

Well I found a guy here on base selling a T5 from his 89 Pontiac firebird formula (v8 305ci) for $300. A deal like that is good, if anything, cause don't think he knows what he has I can get it and turn around and maybe make a bit of profit to a chevy guy. In between I can do more research to see if i luck out on compatibility, as I already sent an email to advanced adapters for ford bell housing to pontiac T5. only thing as you said that may hang me up is the splines

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

seems like chevy folks use the mustang t5 as well n not visa versa

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

well just got a T5 from a 90 5.0 stang for $75. though still considering getting other GM T5 and see if can make money on it

Edgethis April 5th, 2014 09:23 PM

I wouldn't bother with the other trans personally. You'll just end end spending money on the assumption that you'll make more down then line.

Thats a great deal on the trans from the 90 5.0!

meanbgreen April 7th, 2014 12:53 PM

well that was a typo on the tranny, it's 350 plus 75 for shipping. yea I don't think I'll get the chevy one even though a good price and could probably flip it for profit. to many projects going on now as it is.

meanbgreen January 20th, 2015 02:55 PM

So all this time I forgot about the starter. Do I have to do anything with it when I go to a T5? Or change the flywheel? How do I know which speedo cable gear to go with 17/18/20/21tooth?