Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   Classic Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/)
-   -   T5 conversion (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/376474-t5-conversion.html)

meanbgreen January 9th, 2014 10:04 PM

T5 conversion

What's the low down on this conversion? Hp it can handle. What cars is it out of. I know the cross member needs to b changed. Is it difficult to to stuff under 66 that was originally a 6 cyl but now a 302? I've read some posts from various sites just wondering opinions.
:piss2:

TCStang January 10th, 2014 10:19 AM

Edge should be able to chime in on this. He is currently in the process of this swap.

meanbgreen January 10th, 2014 11:31 AM

This is a mod for me down the road cause right now the 3 speed manual shifter is looser than hot dog in a hallway. I've looked around a bit and haven't seen a kit that would eliminate this(most point to the T5 conversion). Plus the manual clutch pedal doesn't return all the way back up. I can put my toe under it and lift the pedal about an 1.5 inches. I'll be looking at it this weekend to see how to adjust the "play" in the pedal. As I know I'll probably be going cable or hydraulic once I commit to the T5.

BA Mustang January 10th, 2014 08:40 PM

58 Attachment(s)
All you need is the transmission, crossmember, and either a late model bellhousing or bellhousing adapter. Your transmission yoke will work, but you might have to get the driveshaft shortened. I can't remember if your starter will work on the late model bellhousing though.

If you use the late model bellhousing and clutch fork I recommend checking out Ron Morris for their cable clutch conversion.

TCStang January 10th, 2014 08:42 PM

I would go to a hydraulic clutch.

BA Mustang January 10th, 2014 08:46 PM

58 Attachment(s)
Hydraulic I would look at Daze Cars.

DazeCars, For Sale Page

meanbgreen January 11th, 2014 12:57 PM

Good deal. Yea I've seen th cable n hydro conversion. Is there major nodding or pretty easy? For now I need to find something to take th slop out of the 3 spd while I save for conversion. It rattles in 3rd n just slot of slop in shifter.

460brevill January 11th, 2014 10:01 PM

I have a t-5 in my 66 with a 200 6 cylinder.No problems at all.

Edgethis January 12th, 2014 12:37 PM

Its a really easy mod for you since your car is already a manual. You can choose to use the factory bellhousing and linkage or swap over to a cable or hydraulic set-up. I am going with a Cable set-up since its a bit cheaper and it's one less thing to worry about leaks with. You go have to be mindful of headers and such with a cable set-up though.

You can nab a T5 out of alot of cars, the best choice though is from an 89-93 V8 Mustang. You can make a 94-95 V8 trans work, but its a bit more involved. Those are the best options, you can get any T5 really and "make" it work, but it's more cost/work then its worth IMHO.

Modern Driveline sells everything you need for a conversion and Bruce is a great guy if you have any questions. You can buy some of his stuff at CJs and save a bit due to free shipping.
Modern Driveline - Classic Mustang Small Block T5 conversion parts kit 1965-1973

I was able to pick up a T5 pretty cheap on craigslist and then I had a shop look it over and install a new 5th gear for me. Total cost including shop visit is around $600 I figure. You can get reman'ed T5s for about $900 (usually with a core charge though)

You can make the stock crossmember work if you are good with a welder. I just bought one ready to go.

Enough of my rambling though. Here's a shot of my set-up, just waiting to get some free time so I can get off my lazy ass and install it:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5549/1...741e9cfa_b.jpg
Untitled by Edgethis, on Flickr

Also, here is a nice video from Cjs showing the entire install process.

meanbgreen January 13th, 2014 12:26 AM

That's a good deal, n cheap. I didn't know I could use th same bell housing either. I still run the stock manifolds though cause it is tight fit so not sure how headers would fit in there. I'm good with a welder but probably just get the new mount plate. Undecided on cable or hydro. Are using the same stick shift with the t5 or do ya have to get a different one?

Edgethis January 13th, 2014 09:40 AM

I currently have a C4 auto in my car. You will need a shifter for a T5, your factory shifter won't work. You can find used shifters on Ebay and such. I got a used Pro 5.0 (supposedly one of the best/most recommended) for fairly cheap. The shifter arm and ball are both Hurst on my set-up. It has a very short throw.

If you are using factory manifolds then theres no reason you can't easily run a cable set-up. Even with headers you can run a cable, jsut have to research what brands work. I have Hooker comps that are ceramic coated. I will run a heat sleeve over the cable so I think my cable should be fine. Heck after a good drive I can safely put my hand on the headers before my aluminum valve covers.

I believe you have to use an adapter to use the early model bellhousing. I picked up a bellhousing for $25 off another forum member. In my opinion its easier to just try and find a bellhousing, usually they are sold with the transmission.

meanbgreen January 13th, 2014 04:43 PM

True on the bell housing thing. I seen that shifter in video, it does look pretty sweet with the adjustability. I'd like to have a short throw, as I enjoyed it on my Evo. I'm going to go to pull n save probably this wknd just to see what's round here. I appreciate all the helpfulness.

AKBray907 January 14th, 2014 10:13 PM

T5 swap is super easy. I made my own crossmember and used a b&m short throw shifter that I modified to accept the original 4 speed shift handle so it still looks completely stock. I also have hooker super comps and a modern driveline cable clutch conversion with no issues

meanbgreen January 15th, 2014 01:37 PM

Cool I may see bout modifying the stick on my to keep it stock looking

Edgethis January 15th, 2014 03:33 PM

meanbgreen January 15th, 2014 07:11 PM

good deal, I may be doing this quicker than originally thought. The current 3 spd started making noise in 1st. all about prioritizing on which may fail first, ha ha
course once I get the transmission then the factory 4 bolt axle will take a crap. So will definately be going to a junkyard this weekend if for nothing else to scout for part availability round here.

meanbgreen March 29th, 2014 11:05 AM

Well off to the junkyard today to see if I can find a t5 from 89-93 mustang

TCStang March 29th, 2014 06:05 PM

Let's us know what you find.

meanbgreen March 29th, 2014 07:56 PM

Found nada, online it is

TCStang March 29th, 2014 08:22 PM

Well damn. Check CL too