351w options - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old August 29th, 2015, 11:36 AM
He of Long Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgethis View Post
After looking at lots of options for EFI. I think for me I am going to build the engine as I would for a carb and install a FAST set-up, like this:

F.A.S.T. 2.0

They have a slightly smaller and cheaper kit, but I like that look of this kit and the fact that is is capable of supporting more power then I would ever make.

My only other option is to build a fairly stock style set-up using an OEM harness. I don't really like that route. Every other option is mega expensive and I just can't see myself spending that much for what I'm getting, hell a new T56 and my built shortblock cost the same as some of those EFI kits....
If you do the FAST system, please give a good show-n-tell. I've been wondering if that system is worth the money.

If you decide to go the traditional carb route, just call Quickfuel and give them your engine specs and performance goals. They're pretty good at setting up a bolt-on and go solution.

BUILD THREAD

'84 Hatch, Bracket Car, [email protected], but I'm working on it
'71 Mach One FB 351c, Slow
'73 Torino, 302, Slower

~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old June 27th, 2016, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Edgethis
Figured I'd post some updates where I'm at with this.

My car still has a 302, however, I recently (4 month ago) converted the car to EFI using FiTech's 800 HP Meanstreet EFI. It runs really well for the most part, it starts great, idles nice. I am also running their fuel command center.

I plan to use this system with the stroker motor also, thats why I got the 800 HP kit, so there was a good overhead on the EFIs capabilities )the fuel center also has an 800 HP rating).

I have found a local machine shop that will be checking over the block and doing any work needed. I was quoted around $450 to check/bore/assemble the long block if I supply all the parts.

I am looking to go with either an air gap or a Vic Jr intake. I hear great things about both, I'm just a bit worried about drivablitly with the single plane on the Vic Jr.

1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5 Build Thread
1968 Mustang fastback 351w/C4 Fastback Build

post #23 of 26 Old June 28th, 2016, 12:58 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I did a lot of research on the air-gap. RPM, and vic jr. the only difference on the street between performer RPM and air-gap is price. The vic jr is another story, but I don't think I would want that on a street car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 Old August 24th, 2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
I have been looking at heads. I have been looking at the TF 11R 205's 11r 205s

and the

AFR 220's

I am liking the idea of the wider exhaust pattern on the AFRs but have heard nothing but great things about the 11R heads. Do you guys have any input on which one of these heads is better?

I'm not sure yet on the CC of the heads, I just posted the links above for general reference.

My block is still at the machine shop getting bored 30 over. They're taking their sweet time lol.

post #25 of 26 Old August 25th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I had the AFR heads on my 351W and was really happy with them. I didn't have to worry about PTV clearance (you can still pick yours pistons, so no big deal) and they made great power in my opinion, but then again it was my first old school pushrod V8.

That said, my understanding is that the AFR needs a really high compression to reach their maximum HP. The Max HP on AFR would be a little more than TW, but you need to be at least 10.5 to get there. If you are going to run anything under that then the TW will supposedly make better HP.

post #26 of 26 Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
Picked up an intake. Finally found a good deal after searching for a few weeks.

20160902_105409 by Brett, on Flickr

20160902_105442 by Brett, on Flickr

20160902_105425 by Brett, on Flickr

I went with the Vic JR. because I've read that the TBI EFI systems run better with a single plane intake. The VIc Jr. seems to be the best one out there for a stroker. I don't feel I needed the Super Vic.

My block is waiting at the machine shop for the stroker kit. I still haven't decided 100% on what kit I want. I'm probably going to get something from one of the builders, either Fordstrokers or CHP as I don't know how to pick a kit out of the Summit catalog with alot of confidence.

I really want to run the TFS 11R heads but I want the wider exhaust pattern that the AFRs have. Both sets of heads run about the same, so I just have to decided which one I want more.
Rabidus likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page