FItech install Meanstreet EFI - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old March 25th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Check the power to the distributor to ensure you didn't mix up the wiring along the way and put the hot on the start instead of run. Same thing for the FITech.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old March 25th, 2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Edgethis
Jeebus I'm an idiot.

There are multiple ways to wire this EFI unit up to fit all the different applications. I had mine wired for this:

2016-03-25_12-26-41 by Brett, on Flickr

It should have been wired for this:

20160325_120506 by Brett, on Flickr

The difference is the blue wire. I have it going to the tach negative when it should be going tot he MSD box. I need to check which wire it connects to on the box and then fingers crossed this thing will fire up!

1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5 Build Thread
1968 Mustang fastback 351w/C4 Fastback Build

post #23 of 30 Old March 25th, 2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage

It's alive! I went back and timed it alot better. I could tell right away the unit is adjusting everything as I was changing the timing. Once I had a good base timing set the unit mellowed the idle out (you can set idle speed via the handheld controller). I will get another video once I get it all buttoned up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old March 25th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

CONGRATS!!

post #25 of 30 Old March 26th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Regular

good job Boom. I hope you like it. I really like the MSD version I put on my daughters car. that fuel management unit is similar to the one edelbrock has I think. if you decide you want to get rid of that fuel pump drone you can always go with an in tank fuel pump. then you could even get rid of the fuel management unit if you wanted. I agree that those a-n fittings can be a pain. have you ever used one of these koul tools? KOULtools - AN Hose Assembly Made Easy it looks stupid and like it would not make much difference, but it really does make a big difference. especially with the braided stainless stuff. anyway. it looks awesome, glad you got things sorted out with the wiring.

btw it looks like you have the same export brace I have on Sarah's car. did you get it from street or track?

89 Fox convertible https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...y-new-toy.html
67 for my daughterhttps://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...pic-heavy.html
I also have a supercharged 65 65 myway
post #26 of 30 Old March 28th, 2016, 04:59 PM
You had one job!

Awesome job! I'm sure it will be much more enjoyable to drive.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #27 of 30 Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
I got a chance to work on the car a bit today. There are 2 issues I need to address.

First issue, there appears to be a vacuum leak somewhere. It is really noticeable when the car is first started and then it seems to die down. The car initially starts at around 1500 RPMs and then the unit gets it down to about 900 RPMs after about 15 seconds. The handheld unit shows I am at about -17 to -18 HG at idle, which should be good for vacuum, right?

The second issue, there are alot of pops coming from the exhaust. While inspecting for air leaks, I noticed that apparently I am missing a header bolt and some of the others were loose. I need to get that addressed and see where my base timing is, can't remember what I set it at.

The car starts pretty much immediately now, even with the above mentioned issues. Hopefully I can get these fixed soon and take the car on a road test.

Everything else seems to be right on point with the unit. The fans came on exactly as I told them too. The handheld displays alot of information.

post #28 of 30 Old April 9th, 2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
I put some new Stage 8 locking header bolts on and that seems to have taken care of most of the popping. I am going to warm the engine up a couple times and keep tightening them to try and get them set before I put the lock plate on them.

Here's one fo the bolts:

20160407_204910 by Brett, on Flickr

Here's a short video of what the exhaust is doing. Maybe its part of the EFI still needing to learn?

post #29 of 30 Old April 10th, 2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
I took the car out today for it's maiden voyage with the EFI. Just went around the complex here and then took it out around the block. The exhaust made some pops here and there. I think it got a bit better as I drive, so maybe the EFI learning is part to blame. The car had a slight hesitation when I was just puttering around the lot. This may also be partly due to the linkage not being as smooth as a cable set-up (future project lol)

When I got the car out on the access road and punched the throttle, I was amazed. The car took off like a rocket with no hesitation, I couldn't believe how smooth the rpms climbed. With the Edelbrock carb it always had a bit of a bog as the secondaries opened then it went. I still need to keep an eye on it and take it for a few longer drives but right now I'd say the conversion was worth every bit of head ache I ran into!

post #30 of 30 Old April 10th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

If my current top-end tear down doesn't fix my issues I"m probably headed down the same road as you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page