Small oil leak: rear main seal or oil pan gasket? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old July 31st, 2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Rent Asunder!

Small oil leak: rear main seal or oil pan gasket?

A slight issue with my '66 coupe 289 is a small oil leak at the back of the engine. After I shut the engine off, it will drip a small puddle about the size of my hand onto the ground. It does not leak while the engine is running, only for a couple of minutes after I shut the engine off. The back of the heads and intake manifold are dry so it's not leaking up there. The dripping is coming down by the bell housing cover. My first guess was a rear main seal but the fact that it doesn't leak while it's running, only after being shut off, makes me wonder otherwise.

Any guesses?

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:42 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Very high probability it is the rear main. Whichever one it is, the leak is there the whole time, not just when the car is stopped, but when you are driving it just blows away.

post #3 of 3 Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzride View Post
Very high probability it is the rear main. Whichever one it is, the leak is there the whole time, not just when the car is stopped, but when you are driving it just blows away.
I thought that but there is no oil on the bottom of the car, on the transmission, or anywhere else though that would indicate that. With the car parked, engine running and revving it to get oil pressure up, it doesn't drip any oil at all. About 8-10 seconds after I shut the engine off, the first drips start and gives a steady drip for about 2-3 minutes and then stops. It's a bit odd, haven't seen anything like it before.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page