1965 Mustang Coupe Garage Find - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By plumabob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old July 11th, 2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

1965 Mustang Coupe Garage Find

Hi everyone! some of you may know me from the 96-04 area since I have a 1999 GT (click here) and a 1997 Cobra(click here). I recently picked up a 1965 Mustang that has been stored in a garage since May of 1993! Probably wondering how I picked it up so, the town i live it had and old service garage that was built in the 1930s the owner of the garage passed away a few years ago. this left his family with the garage and the contents inside of it.

Fast forward to this past Saturday, There was a public auction held at the garage where they auctioned off nearly everything you could think an old garage would have. There were two classic mustangs inside, a 1968 Dark highland green coupe with a 289. And a 1965 Mustang coupe. While I love all classic mustangs and fastbacks aside, I really like the 67/68 coupes for some reason. When the 68 went up for auction it quickly went out of my budget. Turns out the cars original owners family was there and wanted it back for sentimental reasons and they deserved to have it.

Now the 1965 is up for auction and after few people dropped out I ending up having the winning bid of $3,600! Which I think is a pretty good price for the car in its condition. It does have rust as to be expected but i've seen far worse. However considering the options is has, it is complete and appears to be all original and numbers matching (have to check the block #'s at a later time) I am happy with my purchase and can't wait until it's roadworthy!

In the past few days of owning it i've done a few things here and there to get it closer to being roadworthy. First up was to give it a quick wash from 25 years of garage dust and dirt building up on it. After that I rolled it into the garage so it stays out of the elements. Since the car hasnt really ran since the early 90s I decided to play it safe and pull the spark plugs and spray oil in the cylinders to let it sit for a while before i tired to turn it over by hand. Luckily it turned over by hand really easily so I was super excited about that! My father and I disconnected the fuel lines, hooked a battery up and tried cranking it and it cranks with no problem!

I am playing it safe and ordered a new fuel tank, fuel lines from tank to pump and fuel lines from pump to carb as I don't know how much or how old whatever gas was in the tank and lines. judging by the smell id say pretty old, but I have no doubt the motor should start

Seeing as i've never owned a car this old before, hell i've never owned anything carbureted before lol im definitely going to have questions and i'll post them in this thread.

Anyways if you've read this far you probably want to see and know about the actual car lol so below are some photos of it, Let me know what you think!

1965 Mustang
77,794 Miles
289 C.I. V8
Auto (C4 I think)
Power Steering
Air Conditioning*

* I think the A/C setup is an old school aftermarket unit. Reason being is the tag on the compressor says "Eaton" and the inside vents say "Sears." I would love to know more about this as people have said it is odd that the compressor is on the passenger side?

I found a set of hubcaps in the trunk and decided to put them on for now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old July 12th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Hardcore Devotee

Seems like a really good deal to me. Keep us posted!

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #3 of 16 Old July 14th, 2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
Seems like a really good deal to me. Keep us posted!
Thanks! i'll have some updates this weekend, im going to try and get it started this weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old July 16th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Regular

Nice find! Seems to be in pretty good shape.
post #5 of 16 Old July 18th, 2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

So after a weeks worth of tinkering with it, I got it to fire up! This is the first time its ran since 1993 as far as I know. Now I did disconnect the fuel lines and rig up a temporary gas can. I did have a little bit of a lifter tap on the passenger side, however it went away after letting it run for 10-15 minutes.

Let me know if the video works

First time running in 25 years! by Alex Kurman, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
Nice find! Seems to be in pretty good shape.
Thank you!
post #6 of 16 Old September 15th, 2018, 06:09 AM

looks like a great project
post #7 of 16 Old September 15th, 2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumabob View Post
looks like a great project
Thanks!
post #8 of 16 Old October 13th, 2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Been working on this here and there. Now that I know it will start and run reliably I wanted to check out the brake system. With this car having manual drum brakes all around I may opt to get a power brake booster and convert the fronts to disc brakes at a later time. But for the time being I wanted to see what i'm working with. The Fronts need all new hardware and drums. The rears however look like someone just serviced them! I will replace the wheel cylinders and drums for assurance but it was a pleasant surprise!

The tires on this 65 are old school bias-ply and VERY dry rotted and cracked, yet still hold air and are perfect for being rolled in and out of the garage, nothing more. However one tire, a snow tire go figure lol has a slow leak. I have a set of "starfish" wheels from my 1999 GT(245/45/17) that I figured I could throw on so I don't have to constantly add air to the tire. That idea was short lived as the wheel/tire is too wide and hits the inner wheel well. I could probably add a small spacer if I really wanted to. Was worth a shot, and I kinda like the look of 17 inch wheels on this, the size that is not the starfish wheel.

post #9 of 16 Old October 17th, 2018, 09:39 AM

That is so cool!! I am not a classic expert, but I think you did very well for the price. And the journey of exploring an old car like that and just figuring out the issues and tinkering sounds like fun!!

The body looks solid overall in the pics (they always do though, right?) you mentioned rust... where are the rust issues at? I see the lower front rear passenger side wheel well externally. Given it has snow tires on it, that would make me worry a bit.

Have you done any de-coding and/or research on the originality of the car? What options it had? What V8 it is?

Looking forward to continued updates!
post #10 of 16 Old March 8th, 2019, 04:36 AM

That is so awesome!! I think you did very well for the price. and now its need 24-hour Roadside Assistance, btw this is cool hope i will see it on the road.
post #11 of 16 Old March 9th, 2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Been a while since I've updated this, Busy with life and all. Anyways i got a few parts for it over the past few months but I think the coolest part I was able to find was a factory Ford "Rally Pac" gauge cluster. I found it local to me for $115 which was a steal! Now this is for a 1966 mustang but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I also popped of the driver side valve cover just to see what the heads look like and... im definitely going to have to clean these up lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminToledo View Post
That is so cool!! I am not a classic expert, but I think you did very well for the price. And the journey of exploring an old car like that and just figuring out the issues and tinkering sounds like fun!!

The body looks solid overall in the pics (they always do though, right?) you mentioned rust... where are the rust issues at? I see the lower front rear passenger side wheel well externally. Given it has snow tires on it, that would make me worry a bit.

Have you done any de-coding and/or research on the originality of the car? What options it had? What V8 it is?

Looking forward to continued updates!
There is some rust here and there, the front part on the driver side floor needs to be fixed, and both rear quarters near the bottom of the trunk where it meets the wheel well have rust holes in them, and the bottom of the front fenders have some as well. But the bones are solid! As for options its a factory 289 2v V8, auto with power steering. At some point someone added an AC system to the car, it has to be an old school aftermarket unit because the compressor says "Eaton" and the vents say "Sears." unfortunately i havent found much information about this unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthawilliam View Post
That is so awesome!! I think you did very well for the price. and now its need 24-hour Roadside Assistance, btw this is cool hope i will see it on the road.
thank you!
post #12 of 16 Old May 25th, 2019, 07:02 AM

very cool find
akurma likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old July 23rd, 2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

making slow progress on this thing, mainly been hoarding parts when i seem them on sale lol. But i know have all the parts needed to completely redo the brake and fuel systems! I ended up getting a power brake booster even though I still have drums at all four corners. Reason being is that i will eventually upgrade to disks, but for now i just want to get the thing running and stopping under its own power. Plus the single bowl master cylinder is just a safety issue to me. still have to install most of the brake parts but i will update as i install them

Besides that i've replaced the thermostat, thermostat housing and coolant hoses as there was some sort of leak in that area from all the old coolant that was built up there. that was more of a hassle than it should have been as its only two bolts. however because the car has AC and power steering the bracket that holds those units in place makes it VERY difficult to get the lower thermostat housing bolt tight.

I also noticed after cleaning off some of the gunk that is on the water pump that the water pump is blue? Pretty sure Ford Blue wasnt used until 67 but i could be wrong, but it seems like someone put an aftermarket water pump on at some point?

Also found this cool old AC tag on the air conditioner

post #14 of 16 Old July 23rd, 2019, 08:17 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

That brake booster is going to be a pain to install, installed one on my friends 68 and even with the extra space it was still a struggle. I believe that you are correct on the water pump as well. It was either 66 or 67 that they started painting the engines blue.
post #15 of 16 Old July 24th, 2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
That brake booster is going to be a pain to install, installed one on my friends 68 and even with the extra space it was still a struggle. I believe that you are correct on the water pump as well. It was either 66 or 67 that they started painting the engines blue.
yeaaahh not looking forward to the install of the booster lol but i think it will be well worth it in the long run. And yeah i did some research about the blue water pump and it looks like Ford starting doing blue engines in late 66. However i did find some "Hi-Po" blue water pumps on ebay but I seriously doubt those were factory blue and i don't know why the hell someone would put a Hi-Po pump on this car. more likely someone replaced the water pump at some point and decided to paint/buy a blue one to look like the newer engines
post #16 of 16 Old July 30th, 2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Started on the brake and fuel system this past Sunday. I wanted to replace the brake hoses and both the fuel and brake lines for the pure reason of, i have no idea how long the fluid has been sitting in there. plus new pre bent lines are fairly cheap. Last thing i want is a brake line blowing out or a fuel leak!

I opted for Stainless steel lines, this way i wont have to worry about them rusting. the old lines were pretty rust looking, but not leaking. Taking them out getting the new lines routed was a pretty easy, but would have been easier if I was using a lift. Looks odd with shiny new lines with the dirty looking underside lol. Also got new brake hoses, when I've replaced hoses on my other cars, its one hose per wheel right? Well apparently back in 65 it was normal to have one hose split off to both rear brakes. very strange to me lol. So the pictures below are of the old rear brake hose that splits off to the two hard lines to the drums. Oddly enough my car had a brake hose and bracket for a car that has dual exhaust, however my car has (and as far i know) was factory with a single exhaust. No idea why it has a hose setup for duals but maybe on the assembly line they messed up or just used whatever they had.

I also had had to drain whatever was left in the gas tank. Luckily my tank had a drain plug on the bottom of the tank but my god did that fuel smell so bad I guess fuel that sits since 1993 will do that lol.

Next weekend i am going to replace all four wheel cylinders, fuel tank, drum springs and install the power dual bowl master cylinder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/classic-mustangs/633465-1965-mustang-coupe-garage-find.html
Posted By For Type Date
Rescued a Genwon speed3 - Page 14 - Mazdaspeed Forums This thread Refback October 4th, 2018 09:55 PM