Home Gym - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Home Gym

I am thinking of buying a BodyCraft Galena Pro Home Gym and cancel my current gym membership since I haven't even been able to go there...(not only because of my laziness, the gym is in my local mall and it gets packed in the holidays)

My other real reasons is $, I thought about it and I currently pay $105 per month and an additional $1 for parking each day that I go to the gym + gas price and I got into the conclusion that a home gym like the BodyCraft has basically all what I need (I might get something else like bars later) since that is what I do currently at the gym and in the long run it will be cheaper.

It wont be cheaper if it breaks down or it just plain sucks, anyone has experience with home gyms or knows of one that is recommended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Not A Regular Member

That BodyCraft system doesn't look too bad. My family used to have something similar to that and it held up just fine. I don't know if you've considered any of the BowFlex sort of systems, but just ignore those altogether. When I was 15 I could max out the entire stack of "weights" (and I'm not a big guy by any means). It was decent for toning, but definitely not any strength building. If you have any used sporting equipment stores near you, you might want to check those out. I've seen a lot of weight systems in stores like that and a lot of them look like they've barely been used (but are cheaper than a brand new system).

If you're concerned about a system breaking or getting damaged, you might want to consider free weights. That has always been my preferred way to lift weights.
post #3 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Enthusiast

there's no replacement for free weights, keep that in mind.

Rollin on 335 Steamrollers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Regular

free weights ftw!
post #5 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
That BodyCraft system doesn't look too bad. My family used to have something similar to that and it held up just fine. I don't know if you've considered any of the BowFlex sort of systems, but just ignore those altogether. When I was 15 I could max out the entire stack of "weights" (and I'm not a big guy by any means). It was decent for toning, but definitely not any strength building. If you have any used sporting equipment stores near you, you might want to check those out. I've seen a lot of weight systems in stores like that and a lot of them look like they've barely been used (but are cheaper than a brand new system).

If you're concerned about a system breaking or getting damaged, you might want to consider free weights. That has always been my preferred way to lift weights.
The bowflex ones were the ones that gave me the idea of getting something like this but I somehow have the thought that those just don't have enough weight for some reason/get maxed easily and searched for some with weights like this one. I'm not sure if this one will 'max out' or actually last... I believe it will last since I only use up to 130 in the gym.

Quote:
If I get something like this I'm sure that I will also end up getting later a curl bar, straight bar, a flat bench and dumbbells.
post #6 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally845 View Post
free weights ftw!
Instead of a home gym which free weights would you get? I could make my own mini gym getting some things every once in a while... I should create a list of things. I got the idea of instead of paying the monthly membership, I use that money for a gym fund and buy things every few months
post #7 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Instead of a home gym which free weights would you get? I could make my own mini gym getting some things every once in a while... I should create a list of things. I got the idea of instead of paying the monthly membership, I use that money for a gym fund and buy things every few months
I've always been a fan of the Olympic Bars, enough waits to challenge you a decent bench. Start looking on Craigslist picked up all my stuff for around 250. Still cheaper than signing damn membership contracts.

2000 GT, 3.73 , Steeda Lowering Springs,Steeda Timing Adjuster,Crank Trigger Ignition, pro 5.0 power tower shifter,CAI, Cobra R's Extended to 11" ,catted x-pipe with flowmaster catback, rear control arms, Still figuring out the the rest...
post #8 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Regular

your paying 105 a month? damn your getting ripped off.

T70/Built
Awaiting for tuner.
post #9 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Skirt Chasing Philanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectcircle View Post
This... I dont care for the kind of universal machines like bowflex and what not. I did the same as you were I was paying $100/month to a gym, driving across town to work out, ect... So I added up all the expenses of building a work out room in my house, well here I am two years later and everything has paid for its self now and I love being able to wake up in the morning and walk across the hall to work out then walk back across the hall to shower and get dressed for work.

I know that I dont have everything I used at the gym but with a bench, curl bars, dumbbells, punching bag, speed bag, and treadmill I get a good workout and can do a vast majority of what I did there...
post #10 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibwrong View Post
I've always been a fan of the Olympic Bars, enough waits to challenge you a decent bench. Start looking on Craigslist picked up all my stuff for around 250. Still cheaper than signing damn membership contracts.
I would like to get some used things for cheap at craigslist but I live in Mexico and I could seriously get ripped off :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastFox View Post
This... I dont care for the kind of universal machines like bowflex and what not. I did the same as you were I was paying $100/month to a gym, driving across town to work out, ect... So I added up all the expenses of building a work out room in my house, well here I am two years later and everything has paid for its self now and I love being able to wake up in the morning and walk across the hall to work out then walk back across the hall to shower and get dressed for work.

I know that I dont have everything I used at the gym but with a bench, curl bars, dumbbells, punching bag, speed bag, and treadmill I get a good workout and can do a vast majority of what I did there...
I will turn a bedroom that is used as storage into my gym room and start to slowly build it with stuff since I am not even taking advantage of the monthly fee since I don't always have the time to go there and workout. I'm sure that they will also pay themselves in around a year and a half.
Were did you buy your things at? I might be able to buy them and have them shipped to a friends house in Texas like almost all of my car parts and random things and pick them up when I can or I could go and buy them to a store if there's one around the McAllen, Texas area since I tend to go there often
post #11 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM

85% of my stuff came off craigslist... There are SOOOOO many people who go out and buy top of the line work out equipment and a month later it turns into a clothes rack. Then they just get stressed out seeing it or want the extra room back and let it go for pennies on the dollar.

Hell, my treadmill alone was $1400 new and I picked it up for $300 and it still have the plastic over all the electronics.

This is definitely where I would start looking...
post #12 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava View Post

My other real reasons is $, I thought about it and I currently pay $105 per month and an additional $1 for parking each day that I go to the gym + gas price and I got into the conclusion that a home gym like the BodyCraft has basically all what I need (I might get something else like bars later) since that is what I do currently at the gym and in the long run it will be cheaper.
WTF? I pay 25$ a month for LA Fitness...

[SIGPIC]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic42324_1.gif[/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

free weights ALWAYS ftw!

you can do everything....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

|Some fun new stuff...|
post #14 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Free weights it is then, instead of the machine! (and I suppose that it's even cheaper and I can do the same if not even more with them? I don't really know hoy much is achievable with those home gym things that have it all crammed)

Anyone recommend any brands? I've never bought something like this before, I just use and do what the instructors at the gym tell me to do... I will just continue mixing what they taught me but at home

thanks for the help
post #15 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Doesn't really matter what brand. Just make sure they are solid metal. Personally I hate the ones you just clamp on but if your tight on space they do work, but the weight part needs to be solid metal. Only way to get an even balance. Also, if the grip part is bare metal I highly suggest gloves if you plan on doing any heavy lifting. Ask me how I know.

[SIGPIC]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic42324_1.gif[/SIGPIC]
post #16 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymy View Post
Doesn't really matter what brand. Just make sure they are solid metal. Personally I hate the ones you just clamp on but if your tight on space they do work, but the weight part needs to be solid metal. Only way to get an even balance. Also, if the grip part is bare metal I highly suggest gloves if you plan on doing any heavy lifting. Ask me how I know.
I also learned the bad way, my gloves are actually in the mustang

I made a "shopping list" in AmericanFitness and ended up with this...

1 Body-Solid Powerline Flat / Incline / Decline Weight Bench
1 Body-Solid Rubber Grip Olympic Set - 300 lbs with/Bar and Collars
1 Body-Solid Olympic Curl Bar- Black
2 Body-Solid Olympic Dumbbell Handle (1 handle)
1 Troy 2 inch Olympic EZ-On Spring Collar - Rubber Grip (1 Pair)

I believe that this is all that I need for the basics (It's what I use in the gym related to free weights) but I have my doubts with the dumbbells since the weights are fixed there with a spring collar...

I plan on using the weights that are covered in rubber (I choose those because that's how they are at the gym) that come in the olympic weight set with the bar... This list looks good? All of that would be $1021
post #17 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Banned

Spring collars will hold :/ just might have to tighten them every couple of reps. And rubber coating is fine I guess... but it doesn't matter what they are coated in, if you drop them it better not be on your toes or tile...

post #18 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM

A couple things I would recomend are a set of solid hex dumbbells ( a dumbbell with a hex end instead of round ), the weight you choose will depend on you and your capabilities.

There are a ton of ab, arm, and chest exercises that you can do with them!

I would also recomend a pull up bar and something that provides more cardio/aerobic work ( punching bag, treadmill, ect... ). Cardio is key in getting in shape, you can lift till your blue in the face but wont see the results you will want from your effort if your not incorporating cardio into your workout. If your on a tight bufdget then think running...

As for workouts. Check out MensHealth.com... They have some very good routines on there. I have posted this one a handfull of times as I really like it. I like to switch my routines everyweek to get the most of my workouts ( I know weekly is excessive but i like to switch it up to avoid getting burnt out ). But even though I switch often I always come back to this one every other week...

The Spartacus Workout: Spartacus Challenge
post #19 of 19 Old December 30th, 2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymy View Post
Spring collars will hold :/ just might have to tighten them every couple of reps. And rubber coating is fine I guess... but it doesn't matter what they are coated in, if you drop them it better not be on your toes or tile...
Every couple of reps is fine by me I will look at local stores to compare prices and if they are too expensive compared to online prices in the US I will pull the trigger with the things I found in American Fitness! Thanks for the help, most of you were repped.. can't remember if I missed someone that helped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page