Need opinions (Job related) - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Need opinions (Job related)

So I am currently an application support analyst and have been with the same company for almost 6 years now. I make a decent living and the job is very secure for right now.

I got a job offer from a friend who works at another company that needs an on site computer technician (which i am quaified for). Here are the pros and cons that i can think of taking a new job right now in this economy.

Pros:
1. $5000/yr pay increase (i havent gotten a pay raise in 2 years at my current job)
2. More freedom
3. Travel is involved
4. Get a company car

Cons:
1. I dont know how secure this job is (the company is a nationwide company and has offices all around the US)
2. Longer hours
3. More time away from my wife

I know it would be an awesome opportunity for me, but I need the opinions of my fellow MM'ers.

2004 3.9L Vert (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
ˇʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn

Location: Looking for free hand jobs in poland springs nebraska... silly gooses

in my opinion family takes a priority over work. My dad works far away and I never really saw Him much over the later years of my teenage life.

thats just my thought on the situation though.

eff it, bought a wrx, finally.
post #3 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Retired MM Ninjas

Send a message via AIM to FM1R Send a message via MSN to FM1R Send a message via Yahoo to FM1R Send a message via Skype™ to FM1R
Craig, six months ago I would have told you to take the offer. I was all about making more money, and climbing the corporate ladder at any costs. Since then I have learned what is really important, and that is enjoying what you have with the people you love. You have job security, you get to spend time with your wife, so it's not a hard decison.

I did the travelling thing, and it gets old. Trust me man, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence..

2017 Silverado 1500 LTZ-The daily
2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE- H/C/I, MGM Shifter, Kooks LT's, Kook's mid pipe, Flowmaster 44's, 4.10 gear, 315 Nitto NT05R, NX Express kit, 150 pill, 5% tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Old timer

Talk to your current boss and tell him you got another job offer and ask him if he will compete, tell him you feel like you deserve a raise.
post #5 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
ˇʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn

Location: Looking for free hand jobs in poland springs nebraska... silly gooses

use reverse psychology and tell him how wonderful of a boss he is. use positive reinforcement to make him feel like he is a good boss and then he will pay you cause you are a good, complementing employee.

this is what I just learned in my class. I don't think it will work though.

eff it, bought a wrx, finally.
post #6 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

When I have tough decision on life and work, I as myself one question.. When I die, who do I want to have known me the best? My coworkers? or My family?.. That makes it an easy one.. I work for one reason, and one reason only, to make money, to allow me to do things I want, with my family/GF. Ill take being poor and spending a lifetime enjoying life with my family over massing huge amounts of money.

The place I work at has guys that have worked here for over 45 years. The avarage number of years in here is right around 35.. There are people here that have huge piles of money, because they have worked 70+ hours a week for 30+ years. Guys fight for overtime.. There are people here who have all this money, all saved up, and wont retire, they are in there late 60's early 70's. And they can't quit working because of one thing, this is there life, they have turned work into what defines them.

Me, when I am able to retire, Im done, going to get out and do things I want to do, see Europe, Spend a month in Bora Bora, Spend Christmas in every major European city, spend the 4th of July in Boston, and in Washington D.C. Thats the stuff I want to do..

So its a no brainer for me, I only work so I can afford to enjoy life with my others..

To each there own, this is JMHO, you will know what is right for you, long before anyone else will..
post #7 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys. This same thing happened to me 3 years ago, i had a job offer making ALOT more money than I did at the time and my company matched the pay to keep me on. That is probably why I havent gotten a raise since then. I made the right decision then because the position that I was offered was eliminated in less than a year.

The problem is that IMO my company doesnt give their employees what they deserve. Like me, for instance, my actual job title is Application Support Analyst, but I also do programming, I am a DBA, and I deal with client's all day (which should be the saleperson's job). But do any of us get compensated for any of this...NO. And since then, we have hired 3 more people that make more money than I do because I actually worked my way up from the bottom.

I think I will check more in to this new position and see if they would be willing to work with me on a few things (travel time, etc) and see if they can do something for me.

Thanks again for your advice guys.

2004 3.9L Vert (sold)
post #8 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

How are the benefits? Would you be without health insurance for a spell? I wouldn't mind a job like that since I have no wife or kids or pets to worry about. What does your wife think?
Also see if the pay raise would bump you into a higher tax bracket- I know people who have made tons of money only to pay most of it in taxes, making it not worth their time for the extra work.
How long have you known this friend? Would you work directly for him? I'd be hesitant to work for a friend or with a friend as a boss. I can understand a boss becoming your friend (if hell freezes over) but going in as friends might not be the best idea.

my $.02

And dude, I'm just down the road from you in Dayton.
post #9 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Talk to your current boss and tell him you got another job offer and ask him if he will compete, tell him you feel like you deserve a raise.
+1 Happens all the time where I work. We have a lot of headhunters.

2012 GT Black on Black
MT-82 3.73
JLT Catch Can & Air Raid CAI
Hushpower axle backs
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic45242_1.gif
post #10 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenweasel View Post
How are the benefits? Would you be without health insurance for a spell? I wouldn't mind a job like that since I have no wife or kids or pets to worry about. What does your wife think?
Also see if the pay raise would bump you into a higher tax bracket- I know people who have made tons of money only to pay most of it in taxes, making it not worth their time for the extra work.
How long have you known this friend? Would you work directly for him? I'd be hesitant to work for a friend or with a friend as a boss. I can understand a boss becoming your friend (if hell freezes over) but going in as friends might not be the best idea.

my $.02

And dude, I'm just down the road from you in Dayton.
Benefits are one thing i need to talk to them about, but from what my friend tells me the benefits are really good and you dont have to pay hardly anything.

My wife is all for it if I think it is a good idea. (She is very supportive)

It wouldnt raise me to another tax bracket. I still have a while to go before that happens...lol

I wouldnt be working directly for my friend, i would actually be working kind of along side of him (we would have the same boss). I've known him for a couple of years now and I have another friend that works for the same company in a different area that i've known for even longer.

I guess i just have to do what my heart tells me. I know, that sounds gay.

2004 3.9L Vert (sold)
post #11 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdavey View Post
Benefits are one thing i need to talk to them about, but from what my friend tells me the benefits are really good and you dont have to pay hardly anything.

My wife is all for it if I think it is a good idea. (She is very supportive)

It wouldnt raise me to another tax bracket. I still have a while to go before that happens...lol

I wouldnt be working directly for my friend, i would actually be working kind of along side of him (we would have the same boss). I've known him for a couple of years now and I have another friend that works for the same company in a different area that i've known for even longer.

Then that sounds awesome! I mean, working WITH your friends would be a world of difference. If I worked with my friends my job would be 1,000,000 times better. Its all about the people, be it friends or family or co-workers, it can make all the difference.
post #12 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Tini Tini Bo Bini

Garage
Youre going from app support to desktop support and getting a raise?

2007 GT - Gone
2016 FoST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
What am I, some kind of nipple whisperer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I can confirm this. More than once he's woken me up in the middle of the night, banging on my window, bare ass naked, yelling something about being chased by Donald Duck
post #13 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace417 View Post
Youre going from app support to desktop support and getting a raise?
It's more like going from App Support to a Field Technician. I would be going out and fixing things when they break, and also be in charge of upgrades and installs.

2004 3.9L Vert (sold)
post #14 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Tini Tini Bo Bini

Garage
still. I would imagine app support being a better paying job. the DB admins at my last job were all 80k+

2007 GT - Gone
2016 FoST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
What am I, some kind of nipple whisperer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I can confirm this. More than once he's woken me up in the middle of the night, banging on my window, bare ass naked, yelling something about being chased by Donald Duck
post #15 of 15 Old April 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

It is supposed to be better paying. I've looked up the average for my position in my area and I'm not even close to that average. Definately not even close to 80k.

That's why I want to get something better where I'm paid better.

2004 3.9L Vert (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page