My new toy - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 126 Old September 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular

My new toy

this is my new toy. it is an 89 Lx convertible mustang. My Dad bought it a few years ago as a project, but like a lot of the projects he gets I end up being the main motivating force in getting things done lol. anyway he bought this car because his 94 mustang project he had gotten frustrated and depressed about. see he started the 94 project putting edelbrock heads and a powerdyne supercharger on it shortly before my mom got cancer and died. since then he just hadn't felt like finishing it. anyway a few years ago I talked him into moving out here and selling his house. well after he got here he bought the 89. about this time I bought some parts for him to finish the 94 project. so we got that car running and dad is having a lot fun cruizing around in that little hotrod. well he had planned to give the convertible to one of my nieces but since the top bows were broken and the convertible top was shot it had gotten some water in it and it smelled pretty bad as well as looking pretty bad. so naturally they weren't too thrilled and just did not show much interest. well as these things happen I wanted to fix the car. mustangs are my hobby and I just like fixing things. so I found a convertible top on ebay for 340.00 and Dad bought it. then for his birthday I found and bought the pieces to fix the frame. then I tore the top off it and fixed the frame. Dad bought an upholstery stapler from the demon cursed harbor freight and we watched the video a few times and replaced the top.

so anyway the other day my Dad decided that my nieces didn't really want the car and since I had done all the work on it and he really didn't want it anymore that he would just give it to me. no I don't need another car, but what the heck it will be fun tinkering on it, and It will be nice to run around in during the summer.

my shop boss laying down on the job again.

then I took a couple cans of engine degreaser and some elbow grease, bead blasted a few parts and powdercoated or painted a few things and the engine bay looks presentable.

the thing runs great starts every time but the mufflers are shot so those will need replacing next.

the seats need new upholstery as there is a couple small tears in the drivers seat but I threw some cheap seat covers on there for the short term and it looks ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 Old September 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM

the seats <3
post #3 of 126 Old September 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM

Nice stang. I have a 89 too, and you're right they are very fun to drive in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 126 Old September 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Sheriff Metal Face

You sir, have just motivated me to clean my engine bay tomorrow! Yours is clean. Nice car dude!
post #5 of 126 Old September 11th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

Clean stang. All you would need is the headlight restore kit and youll b stylin.

post #6 of 126 Old September 11th, 2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macunicorn View Post
Clean stang. All you would need is the headlight restore kit and youll b stylin.
unfortunately the headlights are a bit too far gone for simply restoring. there are some fine cracks and other irregularities that won't polish out so I am going to replace the lenses. I have not decided if I am going with a stock replacement style or something else yet. I am kind of thinking about the blackout versions. but I don't know yet. first priority though is fix the exhaust and the upholstery. also the air conditioning needs recharged although in a drop top that is less important.

btw, this car has the sport seats with the thigh bolsters and the electric lumbar support. does anybody know where to get upholstery that fits? I checked late model restoration and I could only find the standard seat upholstery.
post #7 of 126 Old September 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast

another vert ! welcome to the funny farm!
post #8 of 126 Old September 15th, 2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Regular

well this may get me banned or flamed or whatever, but both my Dad and I have always felt that a mustang ought to have a running pony on it. that is the major gripe we have always had with the fox mustangs. so initially we tried to use the old grill emblem off my 65 and that failed miserably so I began looking for other options, and found the cobra conversion kit from american muscle. last night I cut the grill and painted the new insert and today I put the new piece in.

I really like the way it turned out. we also did some work on the hood. I primered it last night and tried to sand the primer with 400 grit tonight and the primer never cured. I don't know what happened but what a pain. we ended up having to sand the whole hood down again. hope to get it primered tomorrow and painted friday. then I will clean the car all up and polish and wax it maybe even polish the wheels. someday I plan on getting a set of chrome cobra wheels but these will do for now.
post #9 of 126 Old September 15th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Sheriff Metal Face

I am definitely not a fan of those tail lights... I think the stock lx lights look the best. And the cobra/pre-87 tails. Just letting u know everyone on here will prob bash on those tail lights u got cuz they're very rice. The rest of the car is good though!
post #10 of 126 Old September 15th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Enthusiast

Those tail lights are definately gonna turn heads.....away but if you like them thats all that matters
post #11 of 126 Old September 15th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Enthusiast

U shouldve got the blacked out led tails those look sick
post #12 of 126 Old September 15th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast

I hope they r not illegal in ky i need them
post #13 of 126 Old September 15th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

The cobra grill with pony is sharp, very creative. The taillights NFG.
post #14 of 126 Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM

nice car..any more progress?
post #15 of 126 Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

L E D tail lights are gay....Please every one dont ever give such bad advice like that again.

If any one goes through the effort of changing your tail lights these are the best looking one to change to

83-86 tail lights ( same as the 93 cobra )
87-93 LX tail lights
93 cobra tail lights

Other wise just leave them stock

As for the running horse. Hmmm looks okay, its not some thing id want on my car, but theres already a running horse on the car. its located on the passenger side dash..lol

vary clean car...nice work

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears

Last edited by ryanw; August 9th, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
post #16 of 126 Old December 2nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Love the grill,and i have to agree with ryanw.

01 GT-SOLD..on the hunt for a clean notch
post #17 of 126 Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstettler View Post
nice car..any more progress?
No. I have parked the car for the winter. I am going to get the new cat back exhaust this spring. lately I have been working on my 93 cherokee. trying to get that stupid thing running. no luck so far. I think I should stick to fords lol.
post #18 of 126 Old December 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Very Clean!
post #19 of 126 Old May 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular

well I have done a few more things and I have been driving it to work every day. I really am starting to like this car.

1. got the cat back exhaust on it
2. licensed it
3. replaced the cracked side window molding
4. new stereo with blue tooth so I can hear when my phone is ringing with the top down lol. ( I have to be able to answer the phone pretty much all the time do to my job) I can stop and take the call which is no problem but before I could not tell when the phone rang. no I hear it ring pull over, since they can't hear me over the road noise and it is great.

5. also got my new wheels and tires yesterday. I never really cared for those stock 15 inch wheels. I know the cobra wheels are possibly over done a bit but they are still my favorite wheel for these fox bodys.

6. replaced the complete headlight/marker/turn light assemblies with new. (the previous owner apparently broke the collars that hold the headlight bulbs in and instead of fixing it right glued the bulbs into the housings, I just shook my head in disbelief) but the lenses were pretty beat up and I could not polish them out to look good anyway so I replaced the whole thing. still need to take the time to adjust them a bit more though.

7. I have some new top latches and header gasket to put on some time soon also.,

next project will be to tackle the upholstery I have the seat covers on temporarily but I want to get some new upholstery for it next month I hope.

but for right now this is my daily driver, and i am liking it a lot.

89 Fox convertible https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...y-new-toy.html
67 for my daughterhttps://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...pic-heavy.html
I also have a supercharged 65 65 myway
post #20 of 126 Old May 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Wooooo Rustang

Looks good d00d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/232794-my-new-toy.html
Posted By For Type Date
Building 347 Stroker - Ford Mustang Forum This thread Refback November 27th, 2015 11:31 AM
Building 347 Stroker - Ford Mustang Forum This thread Refback November 26th, 2015 01:56 AM
rear quarter windows off track in Fox Convertible - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum This thread Refback November 21st, 2015 10:26 AM
EGR question - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback May 24th, 2014 01:38 PM