The situation.. - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The situation..

So right now I have my car, 2001 v6 mg 66k auto gt wheels, a couple small things, not much (most mods removed). (its a great car 0 problems, but i want a gt w/ manual)

I want/need to sell this to get a 99-04 gt manual

My car has a loud exhaust setup, o/rh->custom2.5"catback thrush welded mufflers 3.5" tips, about 1kish into exhaust, should i find someone to swap this +cash or just sell it with it, i feel like it lowers the value of the car to most potential buyers? idk i mean i love it but to some it's too loud.

I want to get this sold asap, but i dont need to (if that makes sense)

a couple of the dealers i've talked to will only give me kbb trade in value, thats bs, kbb my car is 5.8k, i want between 6k and 6.5k and figured i'd list it at 6998, i want to get it sold before i hit 68k or especially before 70k

what do you all recommend I should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Not a Rational Car Guy

2012 McLaren MP4-12C - Elite Pearl White
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Coupe - Verde Ithaca
2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe (the daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDensity View Post
At this point I don't think the Viper is exotic. It is more like a refined American redneck John Deere tractor made by Boeing with turbos.
post #3 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Skirt Chasing Philanderer

So you want to sell it sooner rather than later but you're being a stickler over $200 ( the difference between the 5,800 the dealer is offering and the 6k you would take for it )?

Honestly, if you can get 5,800 out of an 01 V6 auto, I would hop on that. Your car would go for $4k around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

i phrased that wrong, they want dealer trade in -> 4k, but i see similar cars to mine listed for 6k-10k in the NoVa area,

i just want to get the most out of my car,

bottom line i just tried to put out my situation and what everyone would do themselves or advise to do/etc
post #5 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:29 PM

There is a significant difference between what something is listed for and what it sells for. But ultimately its up to you to decide if what its worth to someone else is a good enough deal for you. I definitely dont see it going for 10k consider you can get termis now for 3-4k more ( which is not only 2-3 years newer, but also a cobra with a supercharged V8 ).

Just to give you an idea:
2001 Ford Mustang, $2,900 - Cars.com
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
2001 Ford Mustang, $3,750 - Cars.com
2001 Ford Mustang, $6,000 - Cars.com
2001 Ford Mustang BASE, $6,995 - Cars.com
2001 Ford Mustang BASE, $4,500 - Cars.com
2001 Ford Mustang BASE, $4,995 - Cars.com

That was just a quick search and the first page...

All Im saying is that you should be realistic as to what sells.

As for your exhaust, I would try listing it on craigslist for a swap for a couple weeks and see if you get any takers. Do you still have the stock exhaust laying around?
post #6 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
post #7 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

post #8 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:59 PM

Those are both dealer cars. You cant base your pricing off what dealers list them at.

If that were the case my 2006 Explorer with 45k on the clock would still be worth $20g but I would be lucky to get $14k out of it if I sold it.

Not trying to be negative nancy here, just trying to help...
post #9 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

understand where i'm coming from? i figure a car at a dealer will usually sell more than from a private owner, but all those cars are similar to my car in mileage and imo my car looks a lot better than most of them.
post #10 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastFox View Post
Those are both dealer cars. You cant base your pricing off what dealers list them at.

If that were the case my 2006 Explorer with 45k on the clock would still be worth $20g but I would be lucky to get $14k out of it if I sold it.

Not trying to be negative nancy here, just trying to help...
no i understand they're dealer cars, but its jsut that everything is overpriced in my area, and since i don't necessarily need to sell the car, i'd like to get the most out of it (reasonably)
post #11 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
post #12 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

reps for advice/help
post #13 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
The Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeD43 View Post
no i understand they're dealer cars, but its jsut that everything is overpriced in my area, and since i don't necessarily need to sell the car, i'd like to get the most out of it (reasonably)
Your living in a dream, its not going to happen. You won't sell your car. Regardless of what you - or - other people believe, unless you lower your asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #14 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Not A Regular Member

Here's where you're a bit mixed up in how much you want to get out of your car.

1. See all those mods you listed? Most, if not all, of them decrease the value of your car. Go ahead, put $10k into a $6k car. I bet you won't get more than $6k back out of the car unless you find an idiot who's willing to pay for a car that is more likely to have been beaten on.

2. You're looking at what price dealers want to get out of their cars. They don't pay that much to get the cars. There would be no profit and there would be no dealerships. Also, what vehicles are listed for is not what they usually sell for. Generally buyers haggle prices down. If you want to trade in your car, expect to get less for it than you would get from a private party sale. If you want to sell private party, don't expect to even get KBB for it.
post #15 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

im not living a dream at all.. 7k asking?

in my situation what would you ask
post #16 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
The Hammer

cut the shit out..... you have a ten year old used car, you are not getting retail for it.

be realistic.... take that 4 grand and run.... thats a 1500 car at my dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I would eat the peanuts out of her shit

Car Salesman Club - The Hammer
ModdedMustangs Conspiracy Group: President
post #17 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
Here's where you're a bit mixed up in how much you want to get out of your car.

1. See all those mods you listed? Most, if not all, of them decrease the value of your car. Go ahead, put $10k into a $6k car. I bet you won't get more than $6k back out of the car unless you find an idiot who's willing to pay for a car that is more likely to have been beaten on.

2. You're looking at what price dealers want to get out of their cars. They don't pay that much to get the cars. There would be no profit and there would be no dealerships. Also, what vehicles are listed for is not what they usually sell for. Generally buyers haggle prices down. If you want to trade in your car, expect to get less for it than you would get from a private party sale. If you want to sell private party, don't expect to even get KBB for it.
i understand all of this, the only mod that could potentially decrease value would be the exhaust

i understand they pay way below price, and that their asking price is usually never what its sold for

what would you expect to get out my car trade in, and private sale?
post #18 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Not A Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeD43 View Post
i understand all of this, the only mod that could potentially decrease value would be the exhaust

i understand they pay way below price, and that their asking price is usually never what its sold for

what would you expect to get out my car trade in, and private sale?
I would probably check KBB for trade in and private party, then knock $500-1000 off of each and expect offers somewhere in that range. I would recommend selling private party. You'll get some ass clowns who just want a joy ride and to shoot you low ball offers, but eventually you'll get someone who's actually interested in it for a fair price. And when you list it for sale (Craigslist or whatever you prefer) just put the price like $500 more than you truly expect to get out of it that way you have room to haggle and people feel like they're getting a better deal (but if you list it over KBB, people will be less interested).
post #19 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. Rags View Post
cut the shit out..... you have a ten year old used car, you are not getting retail for it.

be realistic.... take that 4 grand and run.... thats a 1500 car at my dealership
wrong.
post #20 of 55 Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
I would probably check KBB for trade in and private party, then knock $500-1000 off of each and expect offers somewhere in that range. I would recommend selling private party. You'll get some ass clowns who just want a joy ride and to shoot you low ball offers, but eventually you'll get someone who's actually interested in it for a fair price. And when you list it for sale (Craigslist or whatever you prefer) just put the price like $500 more than you truly expect to get out of it that way you have room to haggle and people feel like they're getting a better deal (but if you list it over KBB, people will be less interested).
kbb is 5.8k-6k

you'd only expect 5k out of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page