Guitar Players - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old January 26th, 2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Guitar Players

Anybody here play guitar?

I just started teaching myself about a month ago (Got an Ibanez acoustic/electric for Christmas)

What's everybody's favorite type of music to play...I'm mainly trying to learn some blues/blues rock...I can play a few of The Black Keys songs, some Pink Floyd (not related, just love them) I know it'll take a while till I can work my way up to stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughn, stuff like that, but I can't wait.

Post up pics of your guitars too!

2014 White Mustang GT; 3.73s, Recaro Cloth Seats
2005 Black Mustang GT SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old January 26th, 2012, 11:54 PM
MM Fanatic

No pics of my guitar but I have a epiphone les Paul. I've been playin everything from classic rock to heavy metal. Just takes lots of practice.

Best advice is do yourself a favor and learn how to read musical notes sooner rather than later.

94 GT Vert

<a href="https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html"]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html">70mm Turbo Build</A>
post #3 of 28 Old January 26th, 2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkausch View Post
No pics of my guitar but I have a epiphone les Paul. I've been playin everything from classic rock to heavy metal. Just takes lots of practice.

Best advice is do yourself a favor and learn how to read musical notes sooner rather than later.
Yeah, I've been debating that. Only know tabs (it'd be pretty hard not to lol)...That might take a while lol

What color Les Paul?
(no pics of mine either lol.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 12:04 AM
11.5:1 or GTFO

Used to play, wish I would have stuck with it. I had a black les paul. I played just whatever songs that I thought had a good guitar solo or something lol.

03 Mustang GT- Traded
2011 Premium Kona Blue 5.0: On3 Twin 60s
2006 Blue Granite Silverado 1500: Leveled, Fuels, 33s

Instagram: treysonm
post #5 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Danger To Manifold!!!!

I've been trying to teach myself and can't really play anything but practice makes perfect!

2001 GT
-IRS-Borla Stingers-H&R SS-JLT RAI-75mm Accufab-TSW Valencias-Zex 150 Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayze View Post
Love those old trannys.
post #6 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM

I've been playing for about 6 years. I also have an electric-acoustic Ibanez, and a Fender Strat. I mostly play acoustic, usually play DMB with my friend...otherwise we just learn random songs from a plethora or genres. I don't read music, I just play by ear or use tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
fuck a willing possum
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
lol seriously.. who the fuck bowls sober and pays for it?
post #7 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Still slow.

Telecasterrrrrrrr. Hahaha, ive been playing for oh about 5 years now? Yeah sounds about right. Blues is usually my thing to play.
post #8 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I'm, Ron Burgundy?

I've been playing about 4 years on and off. I have a Dean Vendetta electric, and a Washburn acoustic. I prefer to play the modern hardcore rock. Also 80's metal and such.

2009 Civic LX
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LWB
2003 V6
post #9 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt

Used to back in high school. I still have my guitar but no amp.

MM BRONY CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
It's good looking and it feels so nice and soft.
post #10 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Senor Pointy Boots

I got like about 3 months of playing on and off? Meh I'm more of a drummer anyway.

I have a Fernandes Electric Guitar and an Epiphone acoustic. Currently looking after my friend's yamaha electric guitar as well.

Quote:
"Weakness is not your weakness. You are what you grow into..." - Jon Gomm
post #11 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Danger To Manifold!!!!

Found a pic of mine

Electra 2248 Telecaster

no amp though, just rocksmith

2001 GT

Quote:
Love those old trannys.
post #12 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I've been playing 10 years and still can't touch Stevie. All I have to say is good luck with that one lol.

This is my main guitar. My video by the way.

My other guitars which include an Ibanez bass, Jackson flying V with a floating Floyd Rose, and an Alvarez acoustic. I've been putting off getting a Paul Reed Smith for quite some time now, but I'd rather make an amp upgrade first. I just can't find an amp that I'm completely satisfied with. I'm EXTREMELY picky over my amps.
post #13 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 05:16 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkausch View Post

It would be better to develop an ear rather than learn to read sheet music. I can't read music. I just have an ear for what should sound right. I know my chords and a few scales and that's it.

An ear to a musician is more important than knowing theory.
post #14 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post
It would be better to develop an ear rather than learn to read sheet music. I can't read music. I just have an ear for what should sound right. I know my chords and a few scales and that's it.

An ear to a musician is more important than knowing theory.
I've got the ear for it, thankfully...I played a lot of instruments when I was younger, and Bass guitar was one of them, so that helped me get a good foundation to switch to guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak GT View Post
Found a pic of mine

Electra 2248 Telecaster

no amp though, just rocksmith
I bought that too...used it for about a week and now all I use it for is for the distortion effects lol...

To be honest, I found that the way they tried to teach a song (only have a few notes played instead of the whole riff until you get it perfect) I feel that is imperfect. I think that in order to play a song (at least what's been working for me) is to have all the notes in front of you and just play it till you get it, I didn't like rocksmith's method after I started looking up tabs online.

Quote:
I've been playing 10 years and still can't touch Stevie. All I have to say is good luck with that one lol.

Canon Rock Cover - YouTube

My other guitars which include an Ibanez bass, Jackson flying V with a floating Floyd Rose, and an Alvarez acoustic. I've been putting off getting a Paul Reed Smith for quite some time now, but I'd rather make an amp upgrade first. I just can't find an amp that I'm completely satisfied with. I'm EXTREMELY picky over my amps.

haha yeah I don't care if it takes me 10 or 20 years, someday I will be rockin to some stevie ray vaughn lol

post #15 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Manthusiast

Garage
Ive played 7 years.
picked up my step dads gibson LS and instantly started playing a song i watched him play.
Since then Ive had a epi gold top, esp ec, seagull, and a briarwood.
I play slowhand, rock, and mostly post hardcore and do screams in the band i was in.
I shelved my guitars for now though and have started piano to help my guitar playing.

1996 Laser Red Mustang GT-Totaled October 2,2012
2000 Dark Blue Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC
2002 Honda F4i Black/Red
2000 Yamaha YZF-600R "Thunder Kitty"
2015 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SE
Carolina Crew #53
post #16 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:

Canon Rock Cover - YouTube

Added Reps...you're amazing brother!

-----------------------------------------------
2011 Mustang 5.0 GT, 6MT, 3.73's
Performance white, Roush CAI, Roush Axle Back
post #17 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Been playing for 7 years now. I've got a Fender MIM Strat, Gibson Explorer, Eastwood Sidejack Baritone, Ibanez Artcore, Squier '51 (that was my first one ), and an Epiphone humming bird. That's not including the Telecaster I just sold I've also got two drum sets, a keyboard, a banjo, a bass, and two harmonicas.
post #18 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Not to double post but it wouldn't let me post a pic on my first post

I had all this stuff crammed into a 12x14' room when I lived with my parents. There was a small path going past my dresser and tv to my bed and the closet, and the rest of the room was filled up with music equipment. My computer was pretty much useless because there was just always too much stuff in front of it.
post #19 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I've been playing for, dang, 10 years now? Since 8th grade and I'm almost 25, so I guess that makes sense.

I played 2 years with a university big band, that was a cool gig. I've also played in a few bands in high school, and last year I was in a 'real' band that is getting back together for a gig next week (I'm super excited)

I have always like Fenders for some reason, the Fender Strat minus the tremolo is the best feeling and sounding guitar for what I like to play. I play indie rock mostly. I've had a few hollow bodies, 12-string acoustics, bass's, a few strats and a telecaster.

I will second what zinc02GT said about your ear. On a guitar, you can easily switch keys by moving your hand a fret. Because of the nature of the instrument and the type of music typically played, reading music isn't really a really useful tool unless you play written music. Read interviews about how many of your favorite guitarists couldn't really read music. And honestly even playing jazz in the big band (with well written arrangements) I only had to read music a few times on a few songs.
post #20 of 28 Old January 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Danger To Manifold!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTman05 View Post

I bought that too...used it for about a week and now all I use it for is for the distortion effects lol...

To be honest, I found that the way they tried to teach a song (only have a few notes played instead of the whole riff until you get it perfect) I feel that is imperfect. I think that in order to play a song (at least what's been working for me) is to have all the notes in front of you and just play it till you get it, I didn't like rocksmith's method after I started looking up tabs online.
Yeah I bought a book of tabs so we'll see how much they help lol but I have to actually use them first

2001 GT

Quote:
Love those old trannys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page