Speed limits - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hardon Enthusiast

the 1/8th tank may be a little over the top but you cant tell me you never got stuck behind someone and took a chance passing. around here i have jerks pull out in front of me all the time and do 10 under when there is no one behind me. and they wait until i get close enough i have to jack on the breaks. I think 75 is a good reasonable speed, a lot of people wont go over it because after that speed you start to really drink gas in some cars and others probably wont because their car cant handle it.
People are going to drive that speed 70-75 anyways on most straight roads. the state govt can either keep playing the games of leaving it low and hoping that they get to write tickets for people going fast and passing in a non passing zone or they can change the limit and start passing out penalties for driving excessivly slow and causing a traffic hazzard. to me the second one sounds more reasonable. i personally think that the owning county should be able to vote to change the speed limits on a road and let the PEOPLE decide how fast they deem safe to drive on it. the people who drive it every day and the people who pay the damn taxes for the maintenance on it.

Hurst, C&L Racer, Shortys, Pypes Violators, Pypes Off Road X, CMDPs
CHE K Brace, Strange 10pt rear shocks, J&M LCAs, SCT Bama 93 Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmelliott View Post
I did a paper on raising speed limits not too long ago. I used this link Montana: No Speed Limit Safety Paradox and another link that showed a study where places with no speed limit on the autobahn were just as safe as places that had posted speed limits to help my arguement
Interesting article. Reps

2001 Mustang V6- Sold
2014 Focus ST
post #23 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Hardon Enthusiast

dont they have places like that out in arizona and new mexico where they have a "suggested speed" but no actual speed limit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Just because some of you think you can handle a higher speed limit doesn't mean everyone with a license can. Higher speeds = less reaction time. I would not feel comfortable at all knowing that I could be driving beside a 16 year old with his fathers vette on an "American equivalent autobahn". Sadly most new drivers think they're invincible and want to be cool and drive fast. Speed limits are there for a reason.

And comparing texting while driving to driving around a cop is completely ignorant. Those are totally different things.
post #25 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hardon Enthusiast

you cant tell me that being in a line of cars doing 70+ then having some idiot at the front jack on the breaks because he passes a cop on the opposite side of the highway isnt dangerous. 70 down to 55 is a good drop in speed, do that in a line of traffic and your just asking for trouble. and you better hope there isnt a semi behind you or your going to be hurting.

people are going to do that speed regardless of what the signs say.

post #26 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A View Post
Just because some of you think you can handle a higher speed limit doesn't mean everyone with a license can. Higher speeds = less reaction time. I would not feel comfortable at all knowing that I could be driving beside a 16 year old with his fathers vette on an "American equivalent autobahn". Sadly most new drivers think they're invincible and want to be cool and drive fast. Speed limits are there for a reason.

And comparing texting while driving to driving around a cop is completely ignorant. Those are totally different things.
Like I said before, I'm not saying we need or can even handle an autobahn in America. I'm saying 75 mph (10 mph increase in speed for most of MA) is needed because most drivers can and do drive that fast. I'd feel perfectly safe if everyone was driving 70-75 on the highway and that was the speed limit. I'd still drive the same speed I always do (75+ or - a few) but would have to be worried about getting a ticket for going 10 over

2001 Mustang V6- Sold
2014 Focus ST
post #27 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I Handle Meat Entirely Way Too Much

ohio just passed a bill to raise the limit to 70 on all freeways I guess
use other states as examples

HANDSOME MEN'S CLUB -FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT
post #28 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

I'd say the IIHS is a valid source.

Current max speed limits by state-

Table:
Speed limit laws

Map:
Map of maximum posted speed limits on rural interstates

_

04 F250SD 4x4 6.0 PSD ---02 3.8L V6 Pony Procharger in progress ---90 BMW 535i

SMR #530-----Fobra Club Member #2-----Silver Sixxer Club Member #1
post #29 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenevides89 View Post
you cant tell me that being in a line of cars doing 70+ then having some idiot at the front jack on the breaks because he passes a cop on the opposite side of the highway isnt dangerous. 70 down to 55 is a good drop in speed, do that in a line of traffic and your just asking for trouble. and you better hope there isnt a semi behind you or your going to be hurting.

people are going to do that speed regardless of what the signs say.
I didn't say that it wasn't dangerous. I said its stupid to compare that to texting and driving. You seem to be under the impression that they are equally dangerous when they are not. 6000 people a year are killed from texting while driving and half a million are injured. How many people a year are killed from someone slowing down from 70-55 because they saw a cop going the opposite direction?
post #30 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbiandude View Post
ohio just passed a bill to raise the limit to 70 on all freeways I guess
use other states as examples
Maine just had one passed at 75. I'll look into Ohio though. Reps

2001 Mustang V6- Sold
2014 Focus ST
post #31 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG47 View Post
I'd say the IIHS is a valid source.

Current max speed limits by state-

Table:
Speed limit laws

Map:
Map of maximum posted speed limits on rural interstates

_
Usually the IIHS is against raising them but I'll rep for the links anyways

2001 Mustang V6- Sold
2014 Focus ST
post #32 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM
So Smart I'm Rotardary!

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatLouisianaRoadkill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenevides89 View Post
not only do i think they should raise speed limits, i think they should start giving tickets to people who drive under the speed limit. i also think the fed govt. should not be allowed to give money to a state to influence a speed limit. if a road is safe to drive that speed then let people drive that speed. they are going to drive what they feel comfortable doing anyways. all the speed limit adds is congestion on the roads and god forbid a cop rides by then EVERYONE jacks on the breaks. talk about a hazzard thats just as bad as texting.

when you are cruising along and 78 year old Earl is putting along 15mph under the speed limit you have to wait for an oppurtunity to pass. then you floor it because your mad and whip by him. now you have probably just broken the speed limit that you may or may not have been doing to begin with but your definatly going over it now, possibly passed in an unsafe zone potentially endangering others lives and you just burnt 1/8th of a tank of gas not only hurting your wallet but also adding unnecessary polution to the atmosphere. just because earl wanted to drive slow on sunday morning. if you wanna enjoy the view old man go to a golf course and rent a cart!

Louisiana was one of the last states to raise it's drinking age from 18 to 21. What caused this? The government refused to give LA grant money for new highways until LA raised the limit to 21.

I wish they would ticket slow drivers as well. They can be more dangerous than someone traveling fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo Stang View Post
They are sexually gross as well. The girl lifts her leg for him to lick her puffy, and he obliges until we have to seperate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Thanks, no.... I'll still gargle Jobb's balls.
post #33 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
I remember reading about a few roads in texas where they were trying to push the speed limit up to 90, saying that if the driver wants to drive that fast they can pay the price at the pump.

The average was like.. every 5 mph over 65, is the equivalent to .40 some cents more per gallon of fuel.

It's whateves.
post #34 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Banger View Post
Like I said before, I'm not saying we need or can even handle an autobahn in America. I'm saying 75 mph (10 mph increase in speed for most of MA) is needed because most drivers can and do drive that fast. I'd feel perfectly safe if everyone was driving 70-75 on the highway and that was the speed limit. I'd still drive the same speed I always do (75+ or - a few) but would have to be worried about getting a ticket for going 10 over
I know you were using the autobahn as an example, but you've got to remember that a lot of American's are stupid and an increased speed limit may cause more accidents.
post #35 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Hardon Enthusiast

I GOT AN IDEA. we can all go out tonight all over the country and take down all the speed limit signs. then see if it actually makes a difference, MMers UNITE!

jk-dont take that seriously. i dont wanna go to jail....im not big enough

post #36 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I feel there should be a class on cruise control in drivers ed. While increasing the speed limit can be fine, one of the issues i find on my daily 6 hour commutes is major inconsistent speed. I do 70 mph at all times. i dont have much choice otherwise , and i observe that often and it annoys me allot. I feel that there should only be a minimum speed limit on the interstate and no maximum. People who speed dangerously will do it no matter what. Accidents that occur from reckless driving can still be considered a citation for their actions.

GT ENGINE (temporary) 4.30 Gears , 31 spline Moser axles , Detroit tru Trac diff, Pi intake Hitech stage 2 cam, Vortech V7-JT Alum drive shaft. Lowering kit x2 ball joints Koni DA, H&R Super race spring LCA "
post #37 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:46 PM
So Smart I'm Rotardary!

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatLouisianaRoadkill
Quote:
I know you were using the autobahn as an example, but you've got to remember that a lot of American's are stupid and an increased speed limit may cause more accidents.

The problem is that driver education and road enforcement is shit in the USA. In Germany their driver's course and test is very difficult, then the cost of of a license is very high. This is to keep people who don't take driving serious off the streets. German's view driving as a privileged and not a necessity, as it should when you have something like the Autobahn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo Stang View Post
They are sexually gross as well. The girl lifts her leg for him to lick her puffy, and he obliges until we have to seperate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Thanks, no.... I'll still gargle Jobb's balls.
post #38 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
I know a lot of drivers are bad in the US, but there is also examples of where the speed limit is raised reasonably and accident rates don't increase. If I was a politician I'd be pushing for a lot stricter requirements and training courses for licences but I just am focusing on this right now

2001 Mustang V6- Sold
2014 Focus ST
post #39 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatLouisianaRoadkill View Post
The problem is that driver education and road enforcement is shit in the USA. In Germany their driver's course and test is very difficult, then the cost of of a license is very high. This is to keep people who don't take driving serious off the streets. German's view driving as a privileged and not a necessity, as it should when you have something like the Autobahn.
This should be included in your paper, Six. Along with a speed limit increase, the test to get your license should be more difficult and the price should be higher.
post #40 of 53 Old February 19th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I Eat Baby Stangs

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Contour'd
Most cars are geared to get their best gas mileage between 55 and 65MPH. Raising the speed limit will decrease fuel mileage by a considerable margin. Also, some on ramp might not be long enough for some people to get up to speed before merging onto the highway, so you'd be looking at spending more tax dollars to increase the length of on ramps, rather than just money for new signs.

basically, raising the speed limit is going to cost everyone more money.

2000 CSVT
3.0L cammed full bolt on track "Monster"213whp 179wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page