MM daily chat thread - Page 8558 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171141 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:01 PM
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
Plus, let's get real here... there's more people that buy hood pins for looks than functionality. They think it looks cool (aka looks like a race car or "race inspired") and so they get them. I see a lot more V6 Mustangs with them than I do GTs.
What exactly is the split on cars that you know don't need hood pins vs ones that do?

The last car I saw was a new edge that had a Kenne Bell 2.6, slicks and skinnies and a 6pt cage. But I better tell him he doesn't need those pins.

I'm not going to lie, my car will get hood pins of some sort before I hit the track, because new edge hoods are pretty flimsy, and catch a ton of air. That's pretty unsettling at high speed, and the results are disasterous. Of course I'll also be using PTFE lines, a scattershield, a plate for the fuel lines near the flywheel housing, and keeping the regulator ahead of the firewall and away from exhaust, per NHRA specs. But hey, I don't need all that, do I?

Quote:
No, it's not like saying that at all. You're using an extreme example to try to justify the use of hood pins. A proper example would be having your fuel lines wrapped inside a second protective line incase all other lines of defense fail for some reason. It would be more comparable to a second or third scattershield incase the shattered clutch happens to go through both the bellhousing and 1st scattershield. It would be comparable to putting a 2nd driveshaft loop on your car for... idk, just incase.
Actually when you put it that way it makes plenty of sense.

Plain rubber fuel lines will work. But lining them with PTFE AND a braided outside is additional protection. Like hoodpins.

A plain bellhousing and tunnel will work. But a scattershield gives you an extra layer of protection.

Your car doesn't need a driveshaft loop, the floor should protect you just fine, right? The loop is another level of protection, like hoodpins.

Quote:
It does not help keep the motor cool. The motor is operating at a constant temp per the thermostat/fans/radiator/coolant in the car. Besides, your motor runs better and more efficiently at higher 190-205*F anyway. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying this also though.
But counter to your previous point, a cowl hood can also help remove air from the engine bay, reducing recirculation and improving heat transfer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #171142 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Like A Boss

Wicked, cowls inherently do not extract air. That's why cowl induction is a thing.

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
post #171143 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:05 PM
there's a tech section?

Send a message via AIM to xocolleenox
Guys RDY is obviously just upset that his car is not as fast as BAs, and mine, and babblebots old car because we all needed hood pins.
You should be more sensitive.

NUMBER 1 Official member of the "My Car Sucks And No One Likes It But Me" CLUB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #171144 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:09 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
Guys RDY is obviously just upset that his car is not as fast as BAs, and mine, and babblebots old car because we all needed hood pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
post #171145 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
What exactly is the split on cars that you know don't need hood pins vs ones that do?

The last car I saw was a new edge that had a Kenne Bell 2.6, slicks and skinnies and a 6pt cage. But I better tell him he doesn't need those pins.

I'm not going to lie, my car will get hood pins of some sort before I hit the track, because new edge hoods are pretty flimsy, and catch a ton of air. That's pretty unsettling at high speed, and the results are disasterous. Of course I'll also be using PTFE lines, a scattershield, a plate for the fuel lines near the flywheel housing, and keeping the regulator ahead of the firewall and away from exhaust, per NHRA specs. But hey, I don't need all that, do I?

Actually when you put it that way it makes plenty of sense.

Plain rubber fuel lines will work. But lining them with PTFE AND a braided outside is additional protection. Like hoodpins.

A plain bellhousing and tunnel will work. But a scattershield gives you an extra layer of protection.

Your car doesn't need a driveshaft loop, the floor should protect you just fine, right? The loop is another level of protection, like hoodpins.

But counter to your previous point, a cowl hood can also help remove air from the engine bay, reducing recirculation and improving heat transfer.
A load of X275 and ultra street cars go 150+mph in the 1/8th mile every weekend. I better start telling all those guys they need to install hood pins before they kill themselves.

Do I think PTFE lines should be required from the factory? Sure. The added safety definitely couldn't hurt. The manufacturers, with the NTSB, already did this with the latch though by adding the secondary safety latch.

Ok, your last point makes sense but for really any of our cars in this thread, that's a negligible difference. What happens if the temp drops below the thermostat temp? It closes and heats the engine back up. Hood vents serve the same purpose but do it better and you don't have this tall cowl in your face/view.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Have any of them even broken 12's in the 1/4? or 7's in the 1/8th? Been there, done that years ago with my little car. I'm making as much power as you and crack but over a thousand pounds lighter. The exception is the dumpsterfire once it gets running... which I'm still patiently waiting to see happen.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #171146 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:13 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
If i do a windstar swap, ill probly need to shave my hood, or go with a cowl.....

Quote:
post #171147 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:13 PM
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
Wicked, cowls inherently do not extract air. That's why cowl induction is a thing.
Not inherently, but a cowl with a big opening at the rear allows for more airflow to move through the compartment, same as it does on other heat extractor hoods, just in the rear. Same applies to many other trucks and cabovers.

Cowl induction is usually more due to design, where the intake seals up to the hood and the opening is only for the intake to draw in air, rather than the engine compartment, like on the early 70s Chevelles.
post #171148 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:15 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
What about functional hood scoops, like shaker systems? I know we covered tmic's tho

Quote:
post #171149 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
How's your butt wiggle?

Lol. The fox's butt wiggling is just right now. Thanks for asking.

How's your wiggle? : )

Sent from the mobile cellular device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris
Foxbodies > all

post #171150 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Rent Asunder!

I've enjoyed this discussion. It's been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
What about functional hood scoops, like shaker systems? I know we covered tmic's tho
Like I said, there are a few exceptions to the rule. I didn't think about the new edge Mach's when I mentioned the STI or would've included the example.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #171151 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Never go ass to mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
Did he say it extracted air? No, he said it aids in removing air which is 100% true. Air flows in through the grille and radiator. Ends up circulating all over the bay before making it's way out the bottom. Add a cowl, and you have air coming in from the opposite direction, flowing over the engine, meeting the opposing stream, and making it's way out the bottom, while also keeping that frontal stream from flowing right back into the firewall. More air is being removed. When those two airstreams meet, they are going to expand, the air is going to be prevented from flowing upwards because of the hood, so the majority is going to go downwards pretty quick.

CONVERTIBLE CREW #28
2004 Sixxer(RIP)
2007 GT Vert
2002 GT Vert(351W swap COMPLETED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgpony View Post
If I were to make a movie on your life, one scene for sure would be you plowing some chick and then all of a sudden, you with your dick on fire. Legit fire.
post #171152 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

My opinion on the hood pins is they are "ricer" unless you have a real reason for them. I'm running a fiberglass hood on my fox and so far no issues. I've been only to about 105 in the car though.

I've had a factory hood roll up on me. No fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris
Foxbodies > all

post #171153 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:22 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Quote:
I've enjoyed this discussion. It's been good.

Like I said, there are a few exceptions to the rule. I didn't think about the new edge Mach's when I mentioned the STI or would've included the example.
It has been a good discussion. And i was just wondering if thier was a seperate argument other then tmics

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
My opinion on the hood pins is they are "ricer" unless you have a real reason for them. I'm running a fiberglass hood on my fox and so far no issues. I've been only to about 105 in the car though.

I've had a factory hood roll up on me. No fun.

Only the stickons are true rice pins. Even if its done for looks, if thier real thier still doing thier job

Quote:
post #171154 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:36 PM
PSN alphadong11

Gahhh time to put away a massive of laundry.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #171155 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:40 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Have fun with that

Quote:
post #171156 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Hi I'm Sean

Quote:
Unless you have a big cowl that requires a take-off hood (or going 200+mph) there's no functionality in real hood pins either. Also, unless you have a carb'd motor with a tall intake manifold or have a tall PD blower, there's no functionality in a big cowl either. Unless it fits the requirements, it fits the definition of a race inspired cosmetic enhancement regardless.
I swear, this motherfucker doesn't have anything positive to say unless it has to do with his turbo focus.

My hood shakes more than a bunch of preppy whit kids in the hood at night. It could use hood pins for sure but I never felt like drilling my hood.
post #171157 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:43 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Just takes confidence. And follow measure twice cut once

Quote:
post #171158 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:44 PM
there's a tech section?

Send a message via AIM to xocolleenox
Or a dad.
I was scared to so my dad drilled mine for me.

NUMBER 1 Official member of the "My Car Sucks And No One Likes It But Me" CLUB
post #171159 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:45 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
Wimps.

Quote:
post #171160 of 195170 Old January 25th, 2015, 10:45 PM
impecunious

Quote:
Or a dad.
I was scared to so my dad drilled mine for me.
I'm confused. I thought you said earlier yours weren't real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/265658-mm-daily-chat-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes - BBQ Addicts This thread Refback February 25th, 2018 11:42 PM