New Patio Install - Page 5 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 117 Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLJohnson05 View Post
We are gonna do it the same way we did the original on the lower level. We don't use any landscape fabric. We have to dig down far enough anyway, so there is no grass or roots left under it. Then we have several inches of a type of dirt, tamped, then the crushed stuff, tamped with the tamper (i'm assuming he will rent the same one again). Then the layer of that sand over that. There won't be anywhere for weeds to grow under that. I can't remember the numbers but it's probably at least 6-10 inches of stuff before we even get to the block. That's why you see those big ass trenches in some of the pics. A lot of digging took place around and in the area of the patio.
Ahso. Yeah where I was digging there are not only horrible weeds, but deep roots from heavy bushes that used to be where that fence is, and I was never able to fully get them out because the root system ran deep, and also ran under my neighbor's driveway. So I bought a roll of landscape fabric and laid it out under the limestone. Fortunately I cut the bushes down far enough they haven't come back yet... in about 14 years or so.

coughgasolinecough

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 117 Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:09 PM
MM's Database Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Ahso. Yeah where I was digging there are not only horrible weeds, but deep roots from heavy bushes that used to be where that fence is, and I was never able to fully get them out because the root system ran deep, and also ran under my neighbor's driveway. So I bought a roll of landscape fabric and laid it out under the limestone. Fortunately I cut the bushes down far enough they haven't come back yet... in about 14 years or so.

coughgasolinecough
I didn't catch that last piece, what was that

That will do the trick.

Yeah we don't really really have much to deal with except grass roots in this area. As you can tell we are out in the middle of a field...not too many trees sitting around.

post #83 of 117 Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
I didn't catch that last piece, what was that

That will do the trick.

Yeah we don't really really have much to deal with except grass roots in this area. As you can tell we are out in the middle of a field...not too many trees sitting around.
Yah. That looks like an awesome area to live. Me likey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 117 Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

2 more 85 lbers to go.... right now it's beer time. Can't finish the last two... got too poundy with the rubber mallet and split one in half... gotta go get a new one at Home Depot in the morning... phew.

post #85 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Fuck you rain.

post #86 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM
MM's Database Error

Send it my way....the corn needs it bad down here.

post #87 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Make my day...N/A

Another shit show rainy day here and five more days of it in the forecast. Looks like my roof is on hold along with your patio.

1997 Cobra - 336rwhp/298tq, 03 Aviator long block with a few mods and a built IRS with 4:56's.
My build thread - https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ml#post4514265
post #88 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Send it my way....the corn needs it bad down here.
yeah man

*send send send*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallows View Post
Another shit show rainy day here and five more days of it in the forecast. Looks like my roof is on hold along with your patio.
Yeah. Well I did at least get out and cut the grass while it was just spitting out... grass was 3 weeks long, and when I had been done working on the patio the last thing I wanted to do was mow the lawn. lol

But I'm leaving for work tomorrow, and today the grass was at that... borderline, like... 4-6" tall? Where if I waited another week it would have been just brutal. So at least that's done.

Gonna take the wife out for breakfast, then go pick up a new patio stone to replace that one I split... and cross my fingers that it doesn't pour so I can at least lay the last 2... then it's just a matter of the magic sand to fill in the gaps and some detail work.

post #89 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

So close...

post #90 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Lets Just Touch Tips.

Not to shabby for a truck driver.

Looking good man. Nice job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

I'm slow and dead stock.
Loner WithOut A Cause Club!!
post #91 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 02:37 PM
MM's Database Error

That's really looking solid. You going to put something on the sides coming down the smaller section?

post #92 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod91 View Post
Not to shabby for a truck driver.

Looking good man. Nice job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
lol Thanks mang. :alcohol

Quote:
That's really looking solid. You going to put something on the sides coming down the smaller section?
Thanks Woody. Was hoping you'd look in here again so I could ask you about just that.

In the open areas, where it's more narrow, and around the window well there, we're thinking some colored stones, or that wood chip decorative stuff? Or? And in the slightly bigger open area in front of the AC unit... I can fit a couple more smaller 18" pavers if I cut 1 inch off one end... but would that look... stupid? Any ideas?

post #93 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 02:48 PM
What's this Photoshop?

Nice! Always wanted to put a paver patio in at my parents, but the cost is not to my liking presently.

post #94 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM
What's this Photoshop?

Wood chips may float away if water builds up is enough, I'd do rock.

post #95 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM
MM's DRUNKEN SAILOR & master shit shoveler

Send a message via Yahoo to deedub97GT
hmmm maybe you could dig a little trench fill it with top soil and put some small flowers down the side of the house there. bring a little bit of color to the area. and maybe take a dark mulch and put it down along the fence and around the well and AC.

MILITARY CREW GSM2

Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!

Like old harleys? check out my build thread! -->75 rigid iron rebuild

i love throbbing meat
post #96 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
MM's Database Error

Quote:

Thanks Woody. Was hoping you'd look in here again so I could ask you about just that.

In the open areas, where it's more narrow, and around the window well there, we're thinking some colored stones, or that wood chip decorative stuff? Or? And in the slightly bigger open area in front of the AC unit... I can fit a couple more smaller 18" pavers if I cut 1 inch off one end... but would that look... stupid? Any ideas?
Is the space the same as one section of the big blocks? It looks like you could cut one or two big blocks and do the house side with that. Not sure what to do on the fence side as it looks like the gap changes some. Yeah I wouldn't do wood chips.

Gravel might work, but the main issue I'm thinking about is without something pushing back on the stones, they may have an urge to slide at some point. If you use gravel you could probably use either the red or white gravel and that would probably look cool. Big gravel will probably help with water too. It's all in what you want out of it.

If you decide to go stone, there's a blade you can buy for a skill saw that will cut stone like that pretty easily. You could always do an actual brick border that is down in the ground some to be level with the other stones and then have just decorative gravel for the look.

It's all in what you want to spend and take the time to do now though really.

post #97 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGTR07 View Post
Wood chips may float away if water builds up is enough, I'd do rock.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedub97GT View Post
hmmm maybe you could dig a little trench fill it with top soil and put some small flowers down the side of the house there. bring a little bit of color to the area. and maybe take a dark mulch and put it down along the fence and around the well and AC.
Thanks mang

Quote:
Is the space the same as one section of the big blocks? It looks like you could cut one or two big blocks and do the house side with that. Not sure what to do on the fence side as it looks like the gap changes some. Yeah I wouldn't do wood chips.

Gravel might work, but the main issue I'm thinking about is without something pushing back on the stones, they may have an urge to slide at some point. If you use gravel you could probably use either the red or white gravel and that would probably look cool. Big gravel will probably help with water too. It's all in what you want out of it.

If you decide to go stone, there's a blade you can buy for a skill saw that will cut stone like that pretty easily. You could always do an actual brick border that is down in the ground some to be level with the other stones and then have just decorative gravel for the look.

It's all in what you want to spend and take the time to do now though really.
Thanks for the ideas man. I like the big gravel idea. Although I am still maybe wanting to cut stone for there... and I had no idea you could get a skill saw blade for that, and I have a pretty stout 15 amp Makita skill saw, so that might be the plan. Thanks!

post #98 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
MM's Database Error

Quote:
Thanks

Thanks mang

Thanks for the ideas man. I like the big gravel idea. Although I am still maybe wanting to cut stone for there... and I had no idea you could get a skill saw blade for that, and I have a pretty stout 15 amp Makita skill saw, so that might be the plan. Thanks!
If you want to pick that blade up let me know and I'll see exactly what it is that George got for his.

post #99 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
If you want to pick that blade up let me know and I'll see exactly what it is that George got for his.
Yes I am interested in that. Also, do you have to somehow keep it wet while doing this?

post #100 of 117 Old June 24th, 2012, 03:21 PM
MM's Database Error

Quote:
Yes I am interested in that. Also, do you have to somehow keep it wet while doing this?
No I don't think he ever used any liquid. I think it was just pretty dusty when cutting. The blade is basically designed to cut stone. I'll ask him about it more when they get home tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page