Foxfive's 1992 GT Street/Strip Build - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 554 Old November 14th, 2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Foxfive's 1992 GT Street/Strip Build

Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure out this whole Photobucket thing. So here we go. I have owned my 1992 GT for about two years. I originally wanted a notchback but I was able to get a clean two owner GT. I traded a 79 Camaro I had for it straight up. The GT is from West Virginia 87k at the time, and I was impressed with how clean it was. The paint has some imperfections(bad prep job) but the car is STRAIGHT with no dings, dents, or body work. Each panel still has the VIN sticker on it, white stamp is still on the valve covers, and the rear end axle still had the original paper sticker on it. My brother is a professional custom painter and body man so I knew what to look for. The only mods it had were a CAI, Subframe connectors, Pulleys, and a Flowmaster catback exhaust. All the cats were in place, all the smog, ac etc. Since I have owned the car I did stainless shorty headers, BBK catless hpipe, ac delete(ford racing), MSD ignition parts, throttlebody spacer(I know some say they suck, but I did notice some better response), Hurst short throw, aluminum radiator, hp waterpump, and thermostat, 17x9 2003 Cobras and tires. I took the car to the track in July, first time dragging, and it ran a best of 14.7 at 95. This was with a 2.3 60 and a lot of trouble hooking up. I was also running stock 2.73's/street tires. Anyway I'm hooked on the racing and the car. So here we go. I'm currently in the process of putting in Wild Rides Battle Boxes, and UPR upper/lower control arms. I am going to have my mechanic put in 3.55's which I recently purchased, as well as Moser axles. This is all in preparation to run slicks at the track next year. I'm looking to be in the 13's next year, hopefully this will help.

I will post photos and explainations as this build progesses. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by foxfive; November 23rd, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I am having problems posting from photobucket, it is saying the image is removed for deleted. Any suggestions? Photobucket I will work on it again tommorow.
post #3 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Scoot'in

Send a message via AIM to 89Domindart
copy and paste the img code [img]
foxfive likes this.

scootin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Ready to go in the garage.

Prepping the boxes

Prepping the back seat floor. The sounded deadening material came off easily, most of it in sheets. In a couple areas I used a hammer to gently break it free from the floor.

Removed sway bar exhaust etc, so I could have access to the control arm bolts.

Last edited by foxfive; November 23rd, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
post #5 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Had to build a little roof of my garage for winter storage of my Mud Taco and tractor. Freed up space to work on my Mustang, before I had the tractor in the garage with it.

The motor is clean and stock besides some bolt ons

Put in aluminum radiator, hp waterpump, and new t stat after my t stat stuck partially closed at the track.

Use a floor jack to support the rear end. Remove the bolt from the shock where it mounts to the rear end. Remove the bolt that attaches the lower control arm to the rear end. Lower the jack to allow you to remove the lower control arm/spring from the rear end. Then remove the upper bolt from the lower control arm. Remove the lower control arm. Bolts came out easily a benefit to working on a clean car

Control arm is out

Torque box condition is perfect.

Place in the lower Battle Box into position and follow the instructions provided by Wild Rides. They are thorough and easy to follow. Use Lock Tite on the bolts. Lower Battle Box in place.

Lower Battle Box installed inside, Note I have not welded these in at this point. I plan to when I add a cage, that being said I'm not pushing high hp.

Last edited by foxfive; November 19th, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
post #6 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM
MM Fanatic

Nice looking build so far. Any reason to not weld the torque boxes while you already have everything in the car exposed?

94 GT Vert

<a href="https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html"]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html">70mm Turbo Build</A>
post #7 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkausch View Post
Nice looking build so far. Any reason to not weld the torque boxes while you already have everything in the car exposed?
I will probably leave the rear seat out so I can get it done in the spring. My brother has a welder at his house however I don't have the correct power supply for it. My brother had a huge autobody shop where I usually worked on my cars over the winter. It was all set up, but he closed it a few years ago to work for a dealership. I'm friends with a great welder in town but he's expensive and I don't want to pay him twice. Wild Rides said welding is not necessary, so I feel ok waiting.

Last edited by foxfive; November 23rd, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
post #8 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Looks good, your fox is super clean. If you had to rate the difficulty level of installing torque boxs what would it be 1-10 ?

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
post #9 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw View Post
Looks good, your fox is super clean. If you had to rate the difficulty level of installing torque boxs what would it be 1-10 ?
Thanks Ryan,

The install has been pretty easy so far maybe a 3 out of 10. Thanks to Faststang91lx for suggesting Wild Rides, the kit is well put together. I haven't run into any issues with the bolts which would probably be the major issue. I can weld but not great. It will be easy enough to prep the floor plates with a grinder when I have it done. I'm just taking my time so I don't rush and hack it

Last edited by foxfive; November 23rd, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
post #10 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Another quick undercarriage shot.

Got the rearend cleaned up, painted the sway bar, springs. Waiting on the delivery of my upper/lower control arms. I am getting new diff cover with girdle, probably a Perfect Launch, had one on my Camaro, liked the look and quality.

I picked up these 3.55's on ebay for $76 with shipping. Guy said he bought a new mustang drove it 28 miles from the dealership to speed shop for new gears. By the looks of the diff cover and marking paint on the gears, I believe him.

The goal is to hit the drags a couple times a month. With my schedule it is possible. $20 for street night 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

I know it's not the best shifter on the market, but I have always liked Hurst, as far as I am concerned they are proven.

More pics to come as it progresses.

Last edited by foxfive; November 15th, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
post #11 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 09:38 PM

Can't see any pics from your last post at 3.55pm. And I wouldn't worry about welding them yet if you're not ready. Just having them is miles above not. Should be good for now at your level.

FastStang's Ongoing projects thread Click here!
post #12 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

That's what I figured, that they would be ok with the power I'm making. As I continue modding I will pull the seat and have the plates welded in when I do a cage. I may have them done this spring but who knows. I'm not sure why you couldn't see the pics, I was able to pull them up on my laptop and my phone. That's weird. I will post that link.
post #13 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Looks like this for each picture. Did you possibly move them around to different folders?

post #14 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what happened, I will repost them.
post #15 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 10:55 PM

You do too.... you just don't want us to see them. You're trying to keep them all to yourself.

post #16 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

hahaha, did that fix it? I still can't figure out how to put the link in my signature. I can type like a mofo but I'm pretty computer illiterate
post #17 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 11:15 PM

Fixed, can see them now.

Foxfive's 1992 GT Street/Strip Build

Maybe you can copy and paste this ^ as your sig. Basically, you need to copy the url in the address bar of the page of your thread. You write whatever you want it to say, like Foxfive's 1992 GT Street/Strip Build and highlight it. Then click on the world with the chain looking thing below it to the right of the A with the color underline above the dialogue box when you are typing. Than paste that URL that you copied in the box.

post #18 of 554 Old November 15th, 2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I will give it a shot. The UPR's came in tonight so I will be doing some more before I head into work tommorow.
post #19 of 554 Old November 16th, 2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post

I know it's not the best shifter on the market, but I have always liked Hurst, as far as I am concerned they are proven.

More pics to come as it progresses.
I have a hurst shifter in my car but the handle/rod is stock. I love it. I pulled it off my first mustang that i had when i was 17 years old right before i sold it. And i have no clue how long that shifter was on my old mustang, so that would make my hurst shifter a minimum of 19 years old. I think they work great, but i have nothing to compare it to other then a stock shifter

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
post #20 of 554 Old November 16th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Glad to see you got a build thread going! Finally getting some of the 5.0 guys over here

Anyways man, super effing clean fox. I love it. And you can totally do those 3.55s and axle shafts yourself! I have faith in you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page