Anyone here with an Ostomy or J-Pouch? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
The soul stealing Ginger

Send a message via Skype™ to dgt_mustang
Anyone here with an Ostomy or J-Pouch?

March 5th I am having surgery to remove my colon. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis back in 2004 with no rhyme or reason as to why it happened. The more i read up on Ileo-ostomys or the J-pouch the more anxious and nervous i feel. I'm part of another forum called Healing well which is dedicated to a bunch of different disorders and i have posted something there but i figured i would ask the family first. maybe some of you have one and have not let others on, I just need advice so if you dont feel comfortable letting it on here could you send me a PM? having to make a decision on wish surgery to get and probably have to choose within two weeks.

Dr.Gonzo! is the Ultimate IT master, the king of tech, The Dong.
The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM
MM Fanatic

sorry man, good luck on the surgery tho

post #3 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
The soul stealing Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2dumb4college View Post
sorry man, good luck on the surgery tho
Thanks.

The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Too broke

Re: Anyone here with an Ostomy or J-Pouch?

good luck man. there are a few people here at work that have an ostomy pouch and you'd never know it (they told me). my boss had one (i hated him-he got canned), and i can here the bag "fill", but that's when were in a 1 on 1 meeting, so it was quiet. it wasnt a big deal, better than the alternative. plus you'll save cash on toilet paper:beer:

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #5 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
The soul stealing Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstang View Post
good luck man. there are a few people here at work that have an ostomy pouch and you'd never know it (they told me). my boss had one (i hated him-he got canned), and i can here the bag "fill", but that's when were in a 1 on 1 meeting, so it was quiet. it wasnt a big deal, better than the alternative. plus you'll save cash on toilet paper:beer:

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
i also heard no one can call me an asshole after having the ostomy because i will no longer have one....

I'm surprised theres no one on here with anything...

The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
post #6 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM
aloha ke akua

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgt_mustang View Post
i also heard no one can call me an asshole after having the ostomy because i will no longer have one....

I'm surprised theres no one on here with anything...
explain? I have no clue what these procedures do.

Sorry to hear this news. Really sucks

21 & Chasing Tail At College
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
I know better than that, pimp daddy. You got a new hot one weekly.
post #7 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
damn man, I'm sorry. Trust me though ass holes are over rated
post #8 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 08:03 PM
More average than ever

Assholes smell bad. But srs good luck with surgery bro.
post #9 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Disturbin' The Peace

I hope it all goes well.

My grandpa had parts of his colon removed because of cancer, but not the whole thing.
At least you are getting it taken care of.

2002 Lightning
2003 Mustang GT-Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by L
In the 21st century, information is power, to where any human being can learn how to do anything with the touch of a button. With that the most powerful thing a person can do is share ideas and information.
post #10 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
The soul stealing Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.6DreameR View Post
I hope it all goes well.

My grandpa had parts of his colon removed because of cancer, but not the whole thing.
At least you are getting it taken care of.
Thank you, and yeah the fact that it will be taken care of is going to be great..it comes with its own set of hurtles but pretty sure its no worse than what i go through now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowbaltSS View Post
Assholes smell bad. But srs good luck with surgery bro.
Thanks bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ View Post
damn man, I'm sorry. Trust me though ass holes are over rated
reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninOn6 View Post
explain? I have no clue what these procedures do.

Sorry to hear this news. Really sucks
J - pouch surgery
basically they remove my entire colon and take a piece of my small intestine and shape it into a J. they position in the place my colon use to be then divert my large intestine out to the side of my lower abdomen where i secrete waste (i take a shit in a bag) this lasts for about 3 months while that inside pouch thing heals...then after that 3 months they go in reconnect and then i have diarehha for the rest of my life while going to the bathroom between 8 - 15 times a day...that will gradually slow down..
Pros:
No more UC...
Urgency is gone
No more pain

Cons:
no idea how many times per day i would end up going to the bathroom 4-15
Rectum is not as strong anymore...could have accidents
could have "leakage" while im sleeping...though i hear its not alot and is a possibility..
pouchitis which is infection in that bag.

Ileo-ostomy
Remove my entire colon...divert my large intestine out to the side of my lower abdomen where i secret waste into a bag...(i take a shit in a bag...for life)
Pros:
No more UC...
Urgency is gone
No more pain

Cons:
leakage around the bag thats on the side of my abdomen..theres a bag thats "glued" to my side that is replaced on a normal basis...usually user error
the bag could somehow come unglued and fall...could pour all that shit on me...potentially while in public.

The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
post #11 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!

Hey DGT my mother had one, she had the same thing (colitis and chrons disease etc).

She never had any issues with it, no infections or problems changing the bag etc. I remember this all too well because I would take care of her. This was way back in the early 2000's. She died in 2006 from an infection of the blood which was totally unrelated to that.

Keep your head up man, it can always be worse.

post #12 of 29 Old February 6th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast

Two family friends both had the bags for life. Never knew of any accidents(both golfers, twisting and turning). They never had any odor and you wouldn't know it if they didn't tell you.

I wish you the best of luck with it, and keep your head up.
post #13 of 29 Old February 7th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Sorry to hear this man. A guy I worked with had Darviticulitis (sp). He had to have some of his colon cut out and had to wear a bag while it healed. They then reconnected it. He was probably in his late sixty's at the time. I have a good friend that is 43. He was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer referred to as Jelly Belly. To make a long story short he lost a lot of internal organs and has to, "shit in a bag" now for life. You wouldn't know it. No odor, no accidents. He runs marathons, water ski's, does obstacle races, bikes etc. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I believe there is a port on the side of your abdomen that can be plugged. I know he swims and stuff like that with no shirt on. He also has a smoking hot wife too. Do what you need to do to get healthy. I wish you the best man and hope you have a speedy recovery.
post #14 of 29 Old February 7th, 2013, 12:29 AM
aloha ke akua

Damn... That's horrible. Keep your head up. I'll pray for you, man. I'm not just saying that either.

21 & Chasing Tail At College
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
I know better than that, pimp daddy. You got a new hot one weekly.
post #15 of 29 Old February 7th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Regular

They are really no big deal, honestly all they are doing is rerouting your output from your rectum to a new location (I.e your stomach) just make sure you keep it.cleaned to prevent infection
You will have a wafer that will need changed daily or when saturated. You will have bags that will need burped and emptied. It will take A little time to become tolerable to the smell. You won't smell them generally unless you are emptying or cleaning them.
Are they doing A colostomy or ileostomy ? My guess is the latter since they are removing your colon. If it colostomy the stool will be more pasty if its an ileostomy it will be liquid.

98BlackStang is a nurse

Black 'Stang Crew
Tennessee Crew
post #16 of 29 Old February 7th, 2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
The soul stealing Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.burton View Post
Hey DGT my mother had one, she had the same thing (colitis and chrons disease etc).

She never had any issues with it, no infections or problems changing the bag etc. I remember this all too well because I would take care of her. This was way back in the early 2000's. She died in 2006 from an infection of the blood which was totally unrelated to that.

Keep your head up man, it can always be worse.
Sorry to hear that, heres hoping to no issues, I think im going for the J-pouch, a few other people have told me its the logical way because if it fails then i have the back up ileo-ostomy..cant do it the other way around.. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterHead View Post
Two family friends both had the bags for life. Never knew of any accidents(both golfers, twisting and turning). They never had any odor and you wouldn't know it if they didn't tell you.

I wish you the best of luck with it, and keep your head up.
Thank you. I'm looking foward to getting back out and doing hiking/camping or hell just being able to go walk on the beach without worrying how far away a bathroom is...which then gets my nerves going which then makes me have to go lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
Sorry to hear this man. A guy I worked with had Darviticulitis (sp). He had to have some of his colon cut out and had to wear a bag while it healed. They then reconnected it. He was probably in his late sixty's at the time. I have a good friend that is 43. He was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer referred to as Jelly Belly. To make a long story short he lost a lot of internal organs and has to, "shit in a bag" now for life. You wouldn't know it. No odor, no accidents. He runs marathons, water ski's, does obstacle races, bikes etc. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I believe there is a port on the side of your abdomen that can be plugged. I know he swims and stuff like that with no shirt on. He also has a smoking hot wife too. Do what you need to do to get healthy. I wish you the best man and hope you have a speedy recovery.
I just got curious and read a bit about Jelly belly...that thing is no joke!..as for your friend, thats awesome! i enjoy reading and seeing these people looking and doing things completely normal yet they have what i have always thought was something that could hold me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninOn6 View Post
Damn... That's horrible. Keep your head up. I'll pray for you, man. I'm not just saying that either.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BlackStang View Post
They are really no big deal, honestly all they are doing is rerouting your output from your rectum to a new location (I.e your stomach) just make sure you keep it.cleaned to prevent infection
You will have a wafer that will need changed daily or when saturated. You will have bags that will need burped and emptied. It will take A little time to become tolerable to the smell. You won't smell them generally unless you are emptying or cleaning them.
Are they doing A colostomy or ileostomy ? My guess is the latter since they are removing your colon. If it colostomy the stool will be more pasty if its an ileostomy it will be liquid.

98BlackStang is a nurse
look my new best friend lol. i did hear cleaning is a major thing to be sure of because of the stomach acid that will be secreted..I'm a clean person so i know i will probably be OCD about that, when you say the wafer gets saturated...i thought they were mainly hard plastic? Heard about the burping...not too excited about that but shouldnt be too hard...right? I'm getting the J-pouch surgery...at least im pretty sure of that and i will have the ileo-ostomy for about 3-4 months then they go back in to reconnect later.

The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
post #17 of 29 Old February 7th, 2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
The soul stealing Ginger

Passed REPS to everyone involved.

The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
post #18 of 29 Old February 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
The Aviator

Best of luck with the surgery my man. I bet everything will work out for ya' in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #19 of 29 Old February 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
The soul stealing Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
Best of luck with the surgery my man. I bet everything will work out for ya' in the end.
Thanks

The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
post #20 of 29 Old February 7th, 2013, 01:52 PM
MM Official Sammich Maker

I don't know much about either but I wish you the best of luck on whatever you choose.

KASE Racing
72 Chevelle 500hp [email protected] on motor
74 Comet 500+hp and spray [email protected] on motor
99 Mustang GT bolt on's and 93 tune Sold
1995 RZS TT 6 speed Supra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page