Running: A Fat Trucker's Journey - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!
Running: A Fat Trucker's Journey

Tomorrow I'm starting my battle again. To drop 40 pounds once and for all. I'm going to start running in the morning. So I need to know any advice and tips from you runners please.

Should I eat/drink beforehand? If so what and how much?

April 17-2013
**EDIT** Starting weight 235.5 lbs

Day 1: 2.9 km, 1.8 miles. 234.8 lbs 4/18/13
Day 2: 2.1 km, 1.3 miles.

Last edited by TheUNZippee!; April 19th, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Skirt Chasing Philanderer

Start easy. With your age and size (no offense) it is easy to get hurt. If you are just getting back into it I would start by walking a mile, running a mile, and walking another mile. This will help ease your body Into it while still getting a fair amount of exercise. The last thing you want is to be down after a few days because of shin splints or joint issues.

I always ran in the afternoons after work so I can't say fro personal experience what works best for the morning but I would say a glass of juice and water (separately) would be adequate prior to the run.
post #3 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FF View Post
Start easy. With your age and size (no offense) it is easy to get hurt. If you are just getting back into it I would start by walking a mile, running a mile, and walking another mile. This will help ease your body Into it while still getting a fair amount of exercise. The last thing you want is to be down after a few days because of shin splints or joint issues.

I always ran in the afternoons after work so I can't say fro personal experience what works best for the morning but I would say a glass of juice and water (separately) would be adequate prior to the run.
Thank you John.

What do you think of making my own fresh juice? I have one of those nutribullet things, so I can make a vegi juice, a fruit juice, a combo...

And what is your opinion on jogging? Should I only walk and run? You read so much conflicting stuff on whether jogging is good or bad for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:30 PM

I'm not the one to ask about juicers. Being young and single I just buy it because its hard to keep produce very long when its only me tapping into it. I'm sure there are many and many advantages to juicing over the Simply (brand name) juices I drink since its fresh and not made to have shelf life (ie crap), I'm just not the one to ask.

Ok, from what I have read jogging is horribly hard on your body because you are actually using your body movements to slow yourself constantly which puts extra stress on your knees and ankles. From what I know about you I would say that would be your biggest concern. There are obvious factors like lower heart rate and slower movements (burning less calories and working the fine muscles less) but I think that is getting more into points for people who do more than you or I.
post #5 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Awesome. Thanks John.

post #6 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Sheriff Metal Face

Eat something before you run! Carbs. Some toast or cereal. Don't eat a full meal but get something in your stomach.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #7 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Leave about an hour before you run when eating. Water, juice and Gatorade are all fine to drink before and after just don't gulp anything down if drinking during. It's pretty much common sense stuff like dont drink a ton of milk or soda right before or during.

Another thing I see a lot of is the speed of people who jog in neighborhoods and at the gym. Granted I'm 18 and should be able to run faster but the major thing recreational runners don't seem to understand is that your not doing anything by coasting and you need to push yourself outside of that comfort zone. I could run for hours in a survival pace and that wouldn't do anything. Push yourself a little bit faster than what feels good to where you feel like you can't keep the pace for a long time, and just fight that mental barrier; your body is capable of sustaining much greater speeds and distances than whats comfortable. Also don't under estimate sprints and lifting.

Lifting has the potential to burn many more calories. Just get light weights and go to work on those muscles with minimal break and high reps.

Also, of course take time getting into running and don't try pushing yourself the first few days.Your body needs to warm up to the workouts over multiple days before you can run a 6 minute mile or half marathon.

Silver Sixxer Club
post #8 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:41 PM
MM Fanatic

Stretch out your legs well, there's a million different ones you can do and everyone has their own depending on what ails them. I personally get shin splints constantly so I have to make an effort to stretch out my calves the night before and day of run days. Also dont forget to work more than just your legs, don't need to go and do a lot but some extra pushups and situps/crunches will make you feel better.

No idea on juices. If you're eating healthy already or moderately healthy at least then you won't necessarily need it but it sure wouldn't hurt.
post #9 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris951 View Post
Eat something before you run! Carbs. Some toast or cereal. Don't eat a full meal but get something in your stomach.

Sounds good, thanks mang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filly View Post
Leave about an hour before you run when eating. Water, juice and Gatorade are all fine to drink before and after just don't gulp anything down if drinking during. It's pretty much common sense stuff like dont drink a ton of milk or soda right before or during.

Another thing I see a lot of is the speed of people who jog in neighborhoods and at the gym. Granted I'm 18 and should be able to run faster but the major thing recreational runners don't seem to understand is that your not doing anything by coasting and you need to push yourself outside of that comfort zone. I could run for hours in a survival pace and that wouldn't do anything. Push yourself a little bit faster than what feels good to where you feel like you can't keep the pace for a long time, and just fight that mental barrier; your body is capable of sustaining much greater speeds and distances than whats comfortable. Also don't under estimate sprints and lifting.

Lifting has the potential to burn many more calories. Just get light weights and go to work on those muscles with minimal break and high reps.

Also, of course take time getting into running and don't try pushing yourself the first few days.Your body needs to warm up to the workouts over multiple days before you can run a 6 minute mile or half marathon.

Thank you so much for the advice. I already do some lifting, I just.. have been in desperate need of cardio... something I've been putting off for... I'm too ashamed to admit how long. Far too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenShift View Post
Stretch out your legs well, there's a million different ones you can do and everyone has their own depending on what ails them. I personally get shin splints constantly so I have to make an effort to stretch out my calves the night before and day of run days. Also dont forget to work more than just your legs, don't need to go and do a lot but some extra pushups and situps/crunches will make you feel better.

No idea on juices. If you're eating healthy already or moderately healthy at least then you won't necessarily need it but it sure wouldn't hurt.
Thanks man!

Reps to all

post #10 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Samurai Vomit Magnet

I recommend dynamic stretching before you run. Check out youtube, I saw a good video yesterday but youtube is blocked here at work.

Then do a static stretch after, when your muscles are warm.

I hate jogging, I much prefer 50-100 yard sprints/walks, especially for fat burning. Of course, make sure you can do that without injuring yourself. Find a track, because if you sprint at a park any unlevel surface can get you hurt.

sig by serbiandude
Vortech V2 HO Polished SC, Pypes long tube headers/catted X/mid mufflers, Koni Shocks/Struts, J&M Upper and Lower Control arms and Panhard Bar-488hp/425tq
post #11 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
something I've been putting off for... I'm too ashamed to admit how long. Far too long.
Don't be ashamed, its happens to all of us. It's called life and it tends to get away from you. I was huge into running for three years where I was averaging 50-60 miles per week and decided to take a break from it as dedicating two hours every afternoon just became too time consuming and I was coming home from work, running, eating dinner, then going to bed. Before I knew it two years had passed and I hadn't ran a single mile.
post #12 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
If you drink too much the night before, it makes for a bad time.
post #13 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Samurai Vomit Magnet

Oh. Insanity, brah.

sig by serbiandude
Vortech V2 HO Polished SC, Pypes long tube headers/catted X/mid mufflers, Koni Shocks/Struts, J&M Upper and Lower Control arms and Panhard Bar-488hp/425tq
post #14 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo Stang View Post
I recommend dynamic stretching before you run. Check out youtube, I saw a good video yesterday but youtube is blocked here at work.

Then do a static stretch after, when your muscles are warm.

I hate jogging, I much prefer 50-100 yard sprints/walks, especially for fat burning. Of course, make sure you can do that without injuring yourself. Find a track, because if you sprint at a park any unlevel surface can get you hurt.
Will look into that, thanks. I won't have a track, I'll just be running on city streets at like 5:30 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FF View Post
Don't be ashamed, its happens to all of us. It's called life and it tends to get away from you. I was huge into running for three years where I was averaging 50-60 miles per week and decided to take a break from it as dedicating two hours every afternoon just became too time consuming and I was coming home from work, running, eating dinner, then going to bed. Before I knew it two years had passed and I hadn't ran a single mile.
Indeed. I've always lifted, off and on granted, but I've always maintained.. it's hard to explain. Most truckers who are 40-50 pounds overweight aren't benching 180 pounds and couldn't do 2 sets of 40 pushups. I'm not saying that's amazing, I'm saying I've kept up, partially at least, the.. strength end of the game. But cardio?

.... probably 2 decades man. And I only quit smoking 4 years ago (this month bitches!)... so it is really, really bad.

Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ View Post
If you drink too much the night before, it makes for a bad time.
Noted. lol

post #15 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Will look into that, thanks. I won't have a track, I'll just be running on city streets at like 5:30 am.
Speaking of this, run on sidewalks and if you can run in the middle of the street. Even though the slope on streets is minimal it can most definitely make a difference.
post #16 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Will do!

Also... can you run every day?

post #17 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM

I don't know, can you?

Yes, you can run everyday. It's not like lifting that requires rest time because you aren't building muscle.
post #18 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Awesome. Thanks :boobs

post #19 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I love to skydive

Rick, eating and drinking is all dependent on the user. When I am just starting off, I breathe extremely hard, can barely clock a 5k, takes about 28 minutes, and will cramp no matter the preparation.

When I in shape, I can run miles at 6:30 pace while eating a pb and j. I never cramp, no matter how much or how little I drink. I can run 3 miles in about 16 minutes flat and I can run under a 5 minute mile and not even be the slightest bit tired.

You want my running start up plan? I use this, first week, do 2
(Or 3, depending on if you think you can do it everyday with a rest day built in) miles a day, for a week. The next week, up it a mile, week after that up it another mile. And
So on until you hit your personal satisfaction.

I know you're on the road a lot. But you can still do cardio no matter where you are. If to cant run, I can tell you what is a close replacement.

And
I can not preach this enough. Running shoes running shoes running shoes. Don't use an old pair, start fresh. Every type of shoe is different, like a car. Every person has there own preferences. I prefer Asics, but I've tried misunto and other brands. Each shoe is completely different.

Don't wear your running shoes for anything but running. There meant to run, not run walk, get in mud, etc. would you dd a pure drag car?

Any question just shoot me a pm.

MM is awful. Don't ever come here if you haven't been sucked in already!
post #20 of 179 Old April 17th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday

Do you have access to hills\ or a treadmill? Good way to burn calories and not blow your knees out is to go up incline surfaces.

From here to infirmary......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
0-60mph 0.5 sec. And we have liftoff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page