Why my built Livernois motor blew up - Page 3 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 83 Old May 9th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
Typical response from someone who doesn't want to accept the truth. Paint me as "holier than thou" to somehow justify the OP's bashing.

Noone has even mentioned that the fault could've lied with Griggs Racing. When you install a motor, you are going to have to spin the crank for some reason whether to align the converter/clutch, find TDC, whatever the case may be. Griggs Racing was the last one to touch that bolt so I would be going to them.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

This still just cracks me up...
Stop being an asshole. He specifically said he wasn't going to go forced induction, but wanted an aluminum block.

Sent from behind you

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 83 Old May 9th, 2013, 02:08 PM

It was built by Livernios, hence the title. Griggs Racing put it in and tuned it if I read it right.

And its not so much the motor failing. We all get it. Accidents happen. However the GMs reaction and buck passing it what is pissing everyone off.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #43 of 83 Old May 9th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I first wouldn't put $4-6k into a POS 2v that made a whopping 321hp.
spending a few grand to turbo a Focus might not make sense to most of us either, But to each his own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 83 Old May 9th, 2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Abyssinian of AX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
You should post this on Yellowbullet. As dumb as that sounds, you'd be amazed at the results that often come from posting such situations on there. "The power of the bullet," is no joke.

That sucks man. Everyone can see how absurd it is to void a warranty because you raced an engine like this. Obviously we don't build them to this level to look at, but it's sad to say any builder can protect themselves with this copout. Best of luck to you.
OMG... take a look over there and see what happened

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Yeah, that did NOT go well for him. lol
Whatcho talkin' 'bout, Willis?

It went just fine and have a new screen name...

Jizzphuckstick... kinda has a nice ring, huh?

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Well I first wouldn't put $4-6k into a POS 2v that made a whopping 321hp. He could've made that much power with a stock bottom end. Secondly, he bought the motor from Livernois and had it installed and tuned elsewhere. Who knows where the issue with the who complete build may have come from. For all we know, the person who installed the motor in the car loosened the crank bolt turning the motor over during installation. Should Livernois be held liable for some other shops mistake if that was the case? Who knows where a problem went with the engine, I don't blame Livernois at all for this. Even if the crank bolt did back out, that dampener wouldn't move cause it's pressed onto the crank. If it did somehow move the timing wheel, there would've a bad miss or other warning that something was wrong.

You build stuff, you race it, you break it, it's a cycle... sorry about the luck, shit happens. You can't just throw blame on the engine builder. This is the main reason that I build my own shit, that way if something goes wrong, I have noone to blame but myself.
Two things wrong here.... first, Griggs Racing has built/installed hundreds of motors and knows better than to negatively effect the torque of this bolt during installation. Second.... Livernois admits freely that the bolt had proper torque when they got the motor back. I understand the "too many hands" thing, but all is trumped by telling me the bolt was tight and they wanted to send out the parts for hardness tests. I have a 6 year relationship with Griggs Racing and never had problems squaring issues over the years of working together.

As mentioned over at YB, there was no advance warning. Ran perfectly fine, until it just stopped running and "rattled" to a stop as I coasted off the freeway. Was going up a very slight incline and would not accelerate. It took all of 5 seconds of wondering what was happening, bad gas or something . After this 5 seconds, I began pulling over as I am hearing the rattle of valves against pistions. Pushed in the cluch after 6 seconds, but the damage was done.

This goes beyond not honoring a warranty, as it includes 3 months of completely avoiding me or my inquiries as to getting it repaired. Tom Millen went into hiding, in regards to my issue and would not talk to me. Only passed a few messages for my contact to share.

I realize that I have not made any new friends over this issue, actually... maybe one, and possibly even lost some repect of some. Be that as it may, I am a big boy and can take it

Jazzer

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/jazzerthecat/JazzerEatsTwisty.jpg

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.
post #45 of 83 Old May 9th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Regular

Jazzer The Cat
How come no specs on the build? And YES they are relevant.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Oh condor123
You are a punk kid that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground with a mod motor.

Thanks for the BS rep points.
Too bad you have no real world rep.

Here's what the little punk left me.
LIvernois sucks end of story a drunk hobo can build a better 2v
post #46 of 83 Old May 9th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM2Ford View Post
+1 MMR & Livernois is out for me. It seems that the local guys always are the best ones to go to ya know. Most big names, after they have been big for so long, the get comfortable & then start riding there own wave of success because the original people are not there anymore.
Well said man. I couldn't agree more and that's not just for engine builders, that's most business's in general.

Reminds me of a long standing local restaurant here in Illinois, just the best place you could get a beef hands down, and if your from Chicago you knew this place was good. About a couple years ago some new owners took over changed their ways, formulas, increased the prices, decreased portion sizes, got cocky because of the success that was handed down, just a total mess and I can assure you this, the line no longer stretches around the block. Guess that's what happens when success and cockiness mix along with new management. You see it everywhere now a days.

post #47 of 83 Old May 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM
KCCO

Holy fuck! You weren't kidding about YB

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Centennial GT Project

My weakness becomes my weapon, and pain my pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCubersoldat View Post
I'll buy a Chevy before i go back to MMR.
post #48 of 83 Old May 9th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codycat91 View Post
Holy fuck! You weren't kidding about YB

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Maybe it's because there are real racers there that know quite a bit.

I haven't seen any strong tech knowledge over here in this thread.
post #49 of 83 Old May 10th, 2013, 12:12 AM
MM Fanatic

Garage
wow those people are dicks lol
post #50 of 83 Old May 13th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mustang95 5.0
Sorry to hear about this, i would be pissed. Hope everything works out in court

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F.O.R.D

First On Race Day

enough said

post #51 of 83 Old May 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor123 View Post
Unlike you and several people in this thread, including the OP, they know what they are talking about.
post #52 of 83 Old May 14th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast

Maybe I am missing something here... but lets say the HB bolt did back out or something; and even if the HB backed off a hair, WTF does that have to do with the cam gear??? I mean, I know the primary chain gear is on the crank snout, but it would still be riding on the keyway... how the hell would that have anything do do with the cam gear bolt loosening up???
post #53 of 83 Old May 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Hans Sprungfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor123 View Post
Well now I need to see this. I can't imagine a bigger group of assholes than SVTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Maybe I am missing something here... but lets say the HB bolt did back out or something; and even if the HB backed off a hair, WTF does that have to do with the cam gear??? I mean, I know the primary chain gear is on the crank snout, but it would still be riding on the keyway... how the hell would that have anything do do with the cam gear bolt loosening up???
This is what I wanted to bring up.

OK, let's play Livernois's game. The bolt lost tension for whatever reason. Hell, let's assume it is gone completely. That means the balancer can move along the crankshaft axis, presumably letting the crank gears move as well.

Now the failure mode is the cam gears going out of time according to them. Now we play connect the dots. So they're saying that the crank gear must have moved so much that it allowed the timing chain to jump time?

Let's shoot some big holes in this theory. First off, those timing chains do not like play in that direction. Ever put those timing chains on? They don't bend that way very much at all. And for it to move enough to jump time, the crank gear would have to move so far that the reluctor wheel would be chewing against the timing cover making a hell of a racket, and the damper would have to be moved so far it would be throwing the belt. Hell, it would be so loose at that point it would have to fly off into the engine compartment.

I'd have to hoist a big 'ol flag on this one.

I'd start asking for pictures of what these failed components look like, because this does not add up, and they owe you a new engine.

Now I'm sad I've got a set of Livernois valve springs in my engine. I thought they were reputable...
post #54 of 83 Old May 18th, 2013, 11:25 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Jazzer,

Sorry about all of this. It sucks big time. I actually have no advice to give. When that happen to me I pretty much lost the battle and went with a salvage yard motor just to get the car running.

By the way, for all of you local engine builder advocates, they don't have a warranty either. Blow it up and you will see how friendly they are. That is why I had to buy a salvage yard motor.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #55 of 83 Old May 19th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Regular

That's a shame man. It's a shame you have to go through the whole ordeal. Things do happen but the way they are handled sometimes with most companies is BS.

Garage:

2006 Silverado MAX C.C.4x4
1997 Stingray 190 SS prop
2005 Aquatrax Turbo's F-12x,R-12x
1993 Ford Mustang Cobra Black/Black
2010 Kawasaki Z1000

For Sale:
2005 Roush GT SIG Stage1 Black/Yellow
2001 CBR F4i Black/Yellow
post #56 of 83 Old May 19th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to copermn
I went and looked at the thread you made on YellowBullet and holy shit they're assholes over there.

Sorry this happened to ya Jazzer. Something definitely seems out of place about the whole ordeal. Hopefully it gets worked out.

Perfection is impossible, but striving for it is not
post #57 of 83 Old May 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by copermn View Post
I went and looked at the thread you made on YellowBullet and holy shit they're assholes over there.

Sorry this happened to ya Jazzer. Something definitely seems out of place about the whole ordeal. Hopefully it gets worked out.
I know, what the fuck is their problem over there? Bunch of queers more assholy than the douchers over on S197. I looked for some sort of rules thread and there is none. How can they be bitching about rules that don't exist.

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
post #58 of 83 Old May 19th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Broke as F*ck!!

Yeah they were pretty fucked up. Just cause they're "real racers" doesn't mean they have to be asswipes to everyone. Jesus.

Black 2003 Cobra
Turbos in progress.

Twin Turbo Cobra Build

post #59 of 83 Old May 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by townaj View Post
Yeah they were pretty fucked up. Just cause they're "real racers" doesn't mean they have to be asswipes to everyone. Jesus.
I get the feeling that forum is just to go on and trash talk everyone. At least S197 gets shit done. Hell, we get shit done here. They're all just a bunch of idiotic overgrown babies that can't get their thumbs out of their asses long enough to help someone.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

BTW, this guy has been working on mod engines since before 1993?

Originally Posted by J. Mihovetz
Dan is correct in stating that there are things you can do as a driver to damage the engine. In your case part of that as well can be the choices of parts in the engine that you chose not being right for your application. All of the relevant information needed to diagnose the cause and cure were left out. Having more than 20 years working exclusively on modular Ford engines, I've seen just about all things possible. So what's relevant here is: what bolt, what balancer, what clutch, what crank? The reason for the question is simple. Some balancers are just junk. If the clutch is way too light then the balancer has to work way too hard to keep everything alive. If the balancer is shit it will not stay on regardless of bolt or torque. Is the trans clutchless?

The next part of the problem is dragging Livernois through the mud without all the facts presented and even then is it necessary. Looks like you got a beating already from the presentation. I have always found Livernois reputable to do business with and have found Dan and his crew to be certainly capable builders. If he has not responded to your situation the way you feel necessary then call him directly man to man and discuss it there. NOT HERE.

John Mihovetz

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Quote:
post #60 of 83 Old May 20th, 2013, 09:25 AM