Wood staining - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old May 19th, 2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Wood staining

Hey guys, this week my mother is wanting me to come over this week to stain their porch and dock for an upcoming family get together. My problem is that I've never done it before. Do you guys have any tips? I read you should sand and pressure wash the wood before you stain it, what's the point in sanding it and is that part really needed? How many coats are you supposed to put on? And how long should you wait before the wood can get wet again after staining? It is calling for afternoon showers all week and I don't want it getting ruined.

Thanks guys, reps to anyone that helps!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?
When life is passing you buy, downshift!
The Build
Carolina Crew #1
CHECK OUT THE ROTM!

Instagram-bryanschields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 19th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

from what i've done, you dont HAVE to sand, but it might open up the pores and make it take the stain better. i didn't sand when i did a house i was selling. you should buy some cleaner and pre-clean it before doing it though. i didn't use a pressure washer but i will be doing a pressure wash on the new house before i stain it. it's not a fun job by any means though lol.

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
post #3 of 4 Old May 19th, 2013, 12:37 PM
The Boss is in

You do not have to sand. You need to properly wash the deck though. Stop in at a Sherwin Williams and by a product called deck wash and follow the instructions to wash your deck. Then buy the porch stain from them. Semi transparent porch stain in any color of your choice. It will cost a bit more than going to Walmart but it will last three times as long.

Does the deck currently have anything on it? Or is it virgin wood? If it does use a product called Revive then use the deck wash. Then stain it. Use a brush too because it works the stain into the wood.

I work for a paint company and the recommend drying time for full use after staining with Sherwin stain is 4 hours. I would also put on two coats. And like I said, use a good stain brush to really work the stain into the wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old May 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM

If your stain doesn't have a sealer in it, make sure you seal it after you get it stained.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page