Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/)
-   -   Need (SC) LEO advice-Reckless Driving Ticket (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/304497-need-sc-leo-advice-reckless-driving-ticket.html)

(Kohrs93) June 3rd, 2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss Trig (Post 5360463)
How and the hell can you move in that Burton? I had stock gearing in my 03 GT with just directional summer tires in the rear and my car would not move a single inch in any amount of snow. I backed it out of the garage during winter just to turn it around and put it back in so I could work on the suspension and it would literally not move a single inch once it was out the door. I had to have help pushing it back in.

You must really suck derrick :lol

I've driven mine through two winters, one with summer tires (not even all season, legit summer tires). I also lived on the bottom of a hill on a street that NEVER gets plowed at the time. I had a little trouble getting up the hill from time to time, but driving in the snow was not that difficult.

Dysturbed87 June 3rd, 2013 05:15 PM

I've had received a reckless ticket from a Richland County cop in Northeast Columbia around 2005/2007. After talking to the cop involved they didn't drop the ticket, but did change it. It went from a reckless driving (6 points and $400+) to a careless driving (no points and around $550). The cop gave me and my buddy the choice if we wanted the higher fine and no points or keep the reckless ticket. Neither of us could afford 6 points so we took the careless driving. Talk to the cop and see if he might change it or as others have said get a lawyer to fight it. Unfortunately, it will probably be cheaper to just pay though. Hope you can get it figured out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kona June 3rd, 2013 05:42 PM

Your 17 he doesn't want to see you wreck your car and hurt yourself in the rain, I think speeding tickets and such are bs until the driver and others were in serious danger ex your story, with that being said lawyer up and fight it save you money and your record FTP

Austin June 3rd, 2013 05:58 PM

A reckless driving ticket will do some serious work on your insurance premiums

YOUNG-GUN June 3rd, 2013 09:10 PM

Lawyer up, I got a aggresive driving ticket which is pretty similar. It is considered a criminal offense in my state. Fine ranges from $400 to $1500. I paid for the lawyer and the case was dropped for review immeidateley. They told me if it wasnt brought to court in a year i wouldnt be charged and it would be dropped. This was last year in June, ive learned to respect the city limits after that.

PS. i was also 17

8t6gt June 3rd, 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellstorm (Post 5360520)
Ice?? :lol

No not ice. You southern people dont understand what im talking about. The northern people will. Its just hard pack snow LOL

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by slikirish (Post 5361130)
+1

Drove my mustang through multiple winters and am doing the same with G8. All about throttle control and smooth inputs to steering, clutch, gas, brakes. Any car can and will go through snow and rain just as any car can and will crash and burn in the snow and rain. It's all about the driver.

Believe me. I put on the clutch as smooth and easy as possible and it still wouldn't move. I know I could have driven it had I gotten out of the driveway but its not worth it to me. There is a lot safer things to drive in the winter than a V8 with rear wheel drive.

foxfive June 3rd, 2013 09:56 PM

A Lawyer is going to cost more than the $500 fine. The Lawyer may or may not be able to get you off the charge. Put it this way, Judges hear tons of cases like this with the same circumstances, and reason for breaking the car loose. 17 year old driver, fast car, foot slipping off the clutch etc. I can't tell you how many times I hear, "my foot slipped off the clutch". I doubt you will beat it. Usually you will not qualify for a public pretender when you are charged with a Misdemeanor. The ticket seems a bit extreme for the circumstances. If you had a clean record I would have cut you a break and had a chat with your parents about the operation of the vehicle. I have to be honest with you, unless you are pushing some serious horsepower, you have to try to break a car loose. I drive rear wheel drives in heavy snow and can do so without going sideways. I would suggest you try to speak with the officer or the prosecutor and see if they will reduce it. Believe it or not it shows a lot of balls and responsibility to come to a police department after a ticket to speak with the officer. I respect a person when they do that. The officer may have been short with you on the stop, but I'm sure his attitude will change if you show up to speak with him. I think that is your only choice here. As far as being stopped in another County, the violation happened in the officers jurisdiction so he is good to go to stop you in my opinion.

1RápidoZorro June 3rd, 2013 10:21 PM

The thing to consider as well is even if the lawyer costs $500 the ticket itself will cost less and his insurance won't skyrocket for the next couple years. It will save him money in the long run.

foxfive June 3rd, 2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FF (Post 5362181)
The thing to consider as well is even if the lawyer costs $500 the ticket itself will cost less and his insurance won't skyrocket for the next couple years. It will save him money in the long run.

True, if the Lawyer is able to beat the case. Even for a major motor vehicle violation like a DWI, in my experience on a true first offense, 9 times out of 10 our Prosecutor will offer the defendant the same plea agreement if they are pro bono that he will offer them if they go through an Attorney. You are looking at $3-5K for an Attorney to stand there and look good in his/her suit. I have 275 to 300 DWI arrests and I have only lost around 5. I would rather have the $3-5K in my pocket. Don't get the idea that a Lawyer gives a flying f$ck about your case. They don't. Many Attorney's will fight a losing case just to seperate you from more of your money. It is a business, Attorney's don't want drunks or reckless drivers on the road anymore than the average citizen. I think in the OP's case, he is going to be flushing money down the toilet by hiring an Attorney. That's my opinion though. When I arrest somebody and they are decent, I will direct them to our Prosecutor to see if they can work something out without blowing thousands on an Attorney. Some people listen, some don't. It really doesn't matter to me. Lawyers are needed in some cases, they are a waste in others.

TCStang June 3rd, 2013 10:51 PM

I would agree with the lawyer advice. Usually traffic lawyers are not near as expensive and other lawyers.

tiger1dd June 4th, 2013 12:48 AM

Okay, at the advice of you guys, I'm going to let this blow over for another day or two, and then I'm going to find the cop and talk to him about AT LEAST changing it to an ordinance violation. I would rather pay a higher fine if it would mean I wouldn't have my insurance skyrocket.

If not, I'll at least talk to a lawyer about it.

Hopefully the officer will be chill about it, but he's known to be the town's "stuck up" officer, so who knows. Can't hurt, I suppose.

Also, thank you guys for the input!

bigjohnstud4200 June 4th, 2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA Mustang (Post 5361139)
Only a 4 hour course here. Only know because my sister got a ticket for 24 over and just went to driving school instead of paying for the ticket.

WOW, 24 over and got off that easy. If you're over 20 over, you're not even eligible for driving school, plus it moves from civil speeding to criminal.

Xzavier247 June 4th, 2013 01:11 AM

Since you are "17" you are already profiled. Also a 17 year old is really not supposed to be behind a wheel of a gt in the rain. I'm calling bs and you were playing around. If I were you I would go into an open "empty" parking lot and practice in the rain going from 1st to 2nd. Experience is key with age. But since most of these members on MM are past 17 and in there 20's 30's 40's etc they all know what it was like to get their license at your age. But you sound like an intelligent gent, who blames the weather for your scenario. Brillant.:curtsy:

Kona June 4th, 2013 03:33 PM

lawyer costing more than 500 for a traffic ticket? doubt it and then your insurance goes up. do not listen to retards calll a lawyer ive always saved money by calling a lawyer dont see why you cant save your money and record ive gotten off of worse

cbragg4654 June 4th, 2013 03:54 PM

I would just pay up lol.

foxfive June 4th, 2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kona (Post 5363534)
lawyer costing more than 500 for a traffic ticket? doubt it and then your insurance goes up. do not listen to retards calll a lawyer ive always saved money by calling a lawyer dont see why you cant save your money and record ive gotten off of worse

Retards? You sound like a guy that likes to buck the system and then have an Attorney fight your battles for you. Kind of like the guy who runs his mouth, gets tuned up, then wants to press charges. What is the going rate for Attorney? $100 an hour is average. You have to pay for a consultation, appearance at arraignment, and appearance at trial. Your Attorney could be sitting in the court room for hours if the docket is busy. He is not sitting there for free. Don't kid yourself. How are you saving money by having to hire an Attorney? You are still out the money, plus whatever other fines you have. If you didn't screw up in the first place you would have the money in your pocket. Sounds like you belong on the Short Bus with a hockey helmet on.

tiger1dd June 6th, 2013 08:00 PM

UPDATE: (skip to second paragraph if you just want to know what we worked out)

I saw the officer posted up looking for traffic violations near the spot where this occurred. He didn't trip my radar detector, so I figured it would be a good time to talk to him. I ripped the detector off the windshield after I got gas, and parked the car. Walked over, shook his hand, and talked to him for a while. Turns out to be a cool guy, and be loves Mustangs as well.

Long story short, he's going to work with me on it. He wants to talk to my dad, and wants me to talk with the chief. If all goes well, the ticket will be dropped in exchange for a donation to the police department of a similar amount of the ticket.

Still gonna have to pay up, but it's cheaper than getting a lawyer, won't be on my record, and best of all, my insurance won't sky rocket.

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys!

filmman03 June 6th, 2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger1dd (Post 5368020)
UPDATE: (skip to second paragraph if you just want to know what we worked out)

I saw the officer posted up looking for traffic violations near the spot where this occurred. He didn't trip my radar detector, so I figured it would be a good time to talk to him. I ripped the detector off the windshield after I got gas, and parked the car. Walked over, shook his hand, and talked to him for a while. Turns out to be a cool guy, and be loves Mustangs as well.

Long story short, he's going to work with me on it. He wants to talk to my dad, and wants me to talk with the chief. If all goes well, the ticket will be dropped in exchange for a donation to the police department of a similar amount of the ticket.

Still gonna have to pay up, but it's cheaper than getting a lawyer, won't be on my record, and best of all, my insurance won't sky rocket.

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys!

haha bribery i suppose works in some cases. :thumb:

here's my 2 cents for that "next time" for you or anyone else.

i'm one of those guys who gets tickets often. mainly speeding :outtahere:

idk if this applies to other states, but here in Cali, there is the option to do a "written declaration" which simply means that you write a letter to the court about what happened (pay the fine) and then the cop is notified by the court to write his letter too. either he writes it or he doesn't. if he doesn't, the case is dismissed and you get a refund. if he does write a letter, the judge will review the two letters and decide the case, if he decides in your favor, case dismissed and refund. if the judge finds in favor of the cop, you can request a "trial de novo" or "new trial" which allows you to go to court and talk to the judge. now from past experience, if the cop doesn't show your case can be dismissed but idk if it is required, course if the cop is there, you gotta explain to the judge in person what happened and try to convince him/her to dismiss or lower the fine plus traffic school.

the process is long. many ppl don't do it b/c of this. so basically here is a breakdown of time estimated.

- court date after you get cited is like 30 days after the date cited
- you can even extend your date if you want too (in Cali anyway) or submit the declaration. so this is about 30 days after you were originally cited
- the cop then has an allotted amount of time, i think about 30 days as well to write their letter
- judge then decides case after cop submits letter and a response is given a few weeks after that
- if "trial de novo" is required, a new court date for that is set. i think like 30 days after you get the decision from the judge
- go to court on that new date. you are looking at around 90 days or so since you were originally cited, the cop probably (in all my cases) doesn't remember everything.

a lawyer is probably just as expensive as paying for the fine and doing traffic school so i think its useless.

worst case scenario, pay the fine and do traffic school so no points on on your record.

bigjohnstud4200 June 6th, 2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filmman03 (Post 5368043)
haha bribery i suppose works in some cases. :thumb:

Plus one, was this in Mexico? LOL

1RápidoZorro June 6th, 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxfive (Post 5362223)
True, if the Lawyer is able to beat the case. Even for a major motor vehicle violation like a DWI, in my experience on a true first offense, 9 times out of 10 our Prosecutor will offer the defendant the same plea agreement if they are pro bono that he will offer them if they go through an Attorney. You are looking at $3-5K for an Attorney to stand there and look good in his/her suit. I have 275 to 300 DWI arrests and I have only lost around 5. I would rather have the $3-5K in my pocket. Don't get the idea that a Lawyer gives a flying f$ck about your case. They don't. Many Attorney's will fight a losing case just to seperate you from more of your money. It is a business, Attorney's don't want drunks or reckless drivers on the road anymore than the average citizen. I think in the OP's case, he is going to be flushing money down the toilet by hiring an Attorney. That's my opinion though. When I arrest somebody and they are decent, I will direct them to our Prosecutor to see if they can work something out without blowing thousands on an Attorney. Some people listen, some don't. It really doesn't matter to me. Lawyers are needed in some cases, they are a waste in others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxfive (Post 5363743)
Retards? You sound like a guy that likes to buck the system and then have an Attorney fight your battles for you. Kind of like the guy who runs his mouth, gets tuned up, then wants to press charges. What is the going rate for Attorney? $100 an hour is average. You have to pay for a consultation, appearance at arraignment, and appearance at trial. Your Attorney could be sitting in the court room for hours if the docket is busy. He is not sitting there for free. Don't kid yourself. How are you saving money by having to hire an Attorney? You are still out the money, plus whatever other fines you have. If you didn't screw up in the first place you would have the money in your pocket. Sounds like you belong on the Short Bus with a hockey helmet on.

No offense but this is terrible advice. Its very surprising for an officer none the less.

Most lawyers provide free consultation and what you are paying for is who they know. 9 times out of 10 you won't even see a court room because they will set up a cheap plea deal. Even if you do you aren't going to sit in a court room for hours with a lawyer because cases with representation are moved up to the top of the docket. So you will be in there for 15 minutes tops... Yes, they do cost money but in this case any lawyer worthy hiring will reduce it to a simple misdemeanor speed which will take it from a $500 ticket to a $100 ticket not to mention will keep your rates from going up on your insurance.

As for the comparison to hiding behind a lawyer is downright retarded. Do you pay someone to do your taxes for you? Manage your investments? Cook your food at a restaurant? Pay doctors to do surgery?

Of course you do... Because these people are educated and trained to do that job better than you are capable of doing so in exchange for them doing a better job than you are capable you pay them. Tis is the whole reason people specialize in different fields. Otherwise we would all just do general labor and do everything ourselves. I mean would you expect police officers to fight fires? No because firefighters specialize in that field.