Failifornia - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old June 21st, 2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Failifornia

(Headline) Another CA City Bans Construction of Buildings Without Solar Panels

Another CA City Bans Construction of Buildings Without Solar Panels | Photovoltaic (PV) | ReWire | KCET

This just last month- Headline: Solar Industry Anxious Over Defective Panels

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Long story short: California cities are making it so any building over 1000 sq ft (really not that big) have to have the roof covered in solar panels. While just a month ago it came into light that a ton of solar panels are failing rapidly. Failing as in best case lasting 2 years of their expected 25 year supposed life, and worst case setting fires. Theyve recently jumped to a 13% failure rate, which considering the cost of these systems is a big deal. And this is at only the 2 year mark, I imagine a higher percentage will fail before their 25 year life. So many of these systems wont even offset the cost to install them.

"SolarBuyer, a company based in Marlborough, Mass., discovered defect rates of 5.5 percent to 22 percent during audits of 50 Chinese factories over the last 18 months, said Ian Gregory, the company’s senior marketing director. "

"All solar panels degrade and gradually generate less electricity over time. But a review of 30,000 installations in Europe by the German solar monitoring firm Meteocontrol found 80 percent were underperforming. Testing of six manufacturers’ solar panels at two Spanish power plants by Enertis Solar in 2010 found defect rates as high as 34.5 percent."

Im all very pro solar/wind/and hydro electricity and moving away from coal and gas but at the same time we cant force it. The infrastructure for it is still in its relative infancy and isnt ready for the sales its already drawing, let alone upping the demand by requiring people to buy these. 13%, 22%, and 34.5% defect rates are atrocious. As consumers when we buy anything thats $20 and ends up being defective were generally upset, then we go and tell people to steer clear of the product. I can only imagine if I bought thousands worth of solar panels and they crapped out. If they continue to push for this before the infrastructure is there the defect rates arent going to get much better and ultimately create a stigma around solar panels and damage the "green" effort in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old June 21st, 2013, 12:29 PM
'Murica

Garage
I think solar panels are cool but requiring everybody to use them is crazy. In my opinion, let the market dictate the prices and choice.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #3 of 6 Old June 21st, 2013, 12:31 PM
MoM Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to 94racing
I worked as an installer here in ohio. I quit 2 months ago and now i change oil fulltime(was only working on saturdays). I think a builder should not have to worry about what they put on the buildings. Thats alot of bull

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old June 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM
Priest of the Car Gods

Lol, that's Sebastapol, which is about 20 minutes away from me. Sebastapol is where rich hippies go to die, and not really reflective of anything going on in the rest of the state. I'm honestly shocked they didn't have that requirement in place already.

Function > Form, always
post #5 of 6 Old June 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mustang Boy Send a message via MSN to Mustang Boy Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang Boy
Cool

I'm all for builders installing solar panels on new buildings as long as the owner of said building wants them. They shouldn't make them install them but they could give the building owner some kind of tax break for having them installed at the time the building is built. This would help encourage the use of solar panels on new buildings and wouldn't force people to have them installed.

315's Crew

Black and White Crew
Crew Member #2
post #6 of 6 Old June 21st, 2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Theyve had solar panel tax breaks for years, I think theyre starting to lower them down though because its becoming more mainsteam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page