Anyone running an American Muscle brand hood? - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old September 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
The Aviator

^ I'd be scared too lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old September 16th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350pwns View Post
Have actually seen at least two or three threads on here from people who have had professionally installed cervinis hoods (without pins) that flew off at highway speeds.

I've been pushing my luck w/ my cervinis hood. Have had it 160+ multiple times, it's still holding on. But, I'm probably going to have those aerocatch ones put in in the next couple of months because it's been starting to shake a bit at 85+. And a little shake is more than enough to make me nervous lol
Dude I've had my car up to Ridiculous speeds and my hood has not gone any were. These damn coyote hoods are heavy

From here to infirmary......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
0-60mph 0.5 sec. And we have liftoff!
post #23 of 38 Old September 16th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350pwns View Post
Have actually seen at least two or three threads on here from people who have had professionally installed cervinis hoods (without pins) that flew off at highway speeds.

I've been pushing my luck w/ my cervinis hood. Have had it 160+ multiple times, it's still holding on. But, I'm probably going to have those aerocatch ones put in in the next couple of months because it's been starting to shake a bit at 85+. And a little shake is more than enough to make me nervous lol
I was always nervous driving my 07 with the cervini ram air hood, always seeing it shaking when i was on the highway, but i sold it before i got the hood pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallout View Post
Dude I've had my car up to Ridiculous speeds and my hood has not gone any were. These damn coyote hoods are heavy
I wouldn't be as worried if it was a cowl.

Heartthrob A/B -- Steeda CAI & Tune -- AM Billet Grille --BMR LCAs -- BMR Springs -- Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts -- Barton Shifter/Two Post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 Old January 17th, 2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
You
Regular

follow up. Got the hood and it fits like SHIIT. Is a hardwood, came in a harwood box. The passenger side has a bump in it, not flush with the fender, the latch BARELY latches and I Have the latch moved all the way up (Im going to have to oval the holes out, I can barely close it) the back of the cowl is just completely open. Fuking waste of money
post #25 of 38 Old January 17th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Zip's half naked helper

Did you call AM about the fitment issues or lack of quality you were expecting? If it was a flaw in manufacturing, I would think they would gladly exchange it for you, given AM's level of customer service. If you haven't, why are you so quick to modify a brand new part you are not happy with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley
I have an amazing mullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordang View Post
If Marc's car was a woman, she would be in short skirt and a G string and he would tell her to bend over whenever people walked by.
post #26 of 38 Old January 18th, 2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
You
Regular

Im talking modify the latch on the car, not the hood. And theyre quick to label it as an american muscle brand hood, when its a harwood. If I knew it was a harwood, I wouldnt have bought it. I tore the box up opening it, would cost me 150 bucks to ship it back. At this point I just dont want anyone else to think theyre getting something they arent
post #27 of 38 Old January 18th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Zip's half naked helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
I think you'll be really happy with the AmericanMuscle and or the Cervini's 3" cowl hood. They're both made extremely well and have amazing fitment!

AmericanMuscle works with a ton of different manufacturers to guarantee that our quality is perfect.
Our craftsman spend countless hours on each hood to assure the highest quality wave free fiberglass construction for a perfect fit with no trimming required.

I run the 3" AM cowl hood on my 2011 GT and have absolutely no complaints. The Fit and Finish is perfect, I haven't had any troubles with the latch either.. Install took about 20 minutes and it was on there and lined up perfectly!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
I quoted Dan's post from earlier and bolded the section I think is important here. They don't build parts at AM, at least not hoods. They sell them. Maybe you should have asked before your purchase who manufactured the hood for AM, or when you saw the Harwood logo on the box used a bit more care opening it up. Modifying your car to fit a part your not happy with seems a bit weird to me. But hey- it's your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley
I have an amazing mullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordang View Post
If Marc's car was a woman, she would be in short skirt and a G string and he would tell her to bend over whenever people walked by.
post #28 of 38 Old January 18th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
how many people do you know with good quality after market hoods and no pins that have flown off? Hood pins look like dog shit and I wont run them. Point of the thread is asking if the AM hood quality is good enough to not need them
Yeah I agree I wouldn't run hood pins, I don't like them. A good fiberglass hood will have nutserts and reinforcement that will hold a latch just fine. I have never gone wrong with American Muscle, I haven't used one of their hoods though. I think with any fiberglass hood their is the possibility of having to get a little body work(fine filler etc) done on them prior to paint which is not a big deal. If the mold is good, the gaps and everything else should look nice. I have had fiberglass hoods on two other cars and my brothers a pro body man and painter that has done a lot of custom applications. He hasn't painted my car yet but I wouldn't hesitate to get an American Muscle hood, which I will.

Edit: I didn't see you got the hood and it didn't fit that great. Like I said though having seen a lot of custom hoods/body kits go on cars, they almost never fit like a show car and will not fit like factory. It is a little give and take. I would say the majority of aftermarket fiberglass hoods require some body work.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

If you do a quick search on Cervani hoods or Harwood hoods, you can find both customers who were pleased and others who said both hoods fit like sh$t. There aftermarket hoods, aftermarket never is perfect, I don't care what company. One thing I have noticed with Foxbody's is the aftermarket performance parts normally fit well.
post #29 of 38 Old January 18th, 2014, 10:22 AM
MoM Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to 94racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_Ahmet View Post
Or you can just have your paint start cracking because hood is going to flex too much. I guarantee you, most everybody that has aftermarket hoods use hood pins. For good reason.
i dont and mine does pretty decent. only shakes around 120+ unless im going around a few semis

Quote:
lol people get hood pins since the latch area on fiberglass is weak and they dont want them to fly off. Since when is paint not flexable?

blah Ive had one as well theyre just so expensive unless you get it used
my hood (champion hoods of cincinatti) has 2 peices of foberglass that run 6 inches each along the insideso it would really tear the hood up if it came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
I think you'll be really happy with the AmericanMuscle and or the Cervini's 3" cowl hood. They're both made extremely well and have amazing fitment!

AmericanMuscle works with a ton of different manufacturers to guarantee that our quality is perfect. Our craftsman spend countless hours on each hood to assure the highest quality wave free fiberglass construction for a perfect fit with no trimming required.

I run the 3" AM cowl hood on my 2011 GT and have absolutely no complaints. The Fit and Finish is perfect, I haven't had any troubles with the latch either.. Install took about 20 minutes and it was on there and lined up perfectly!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
thats what i about went with for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
Yeah I agree I wouldn't run hood pins, I don't like them. A good fiberglass hood will have nutserts and reinforcement that will hold a latch just fine. I have never gone wrong with American Muscle, I haven't used one of their hoods though. I think with any fiberglass hood their is the possibility of having to get a little body work(fine filler etc) done on them prior to paint which is not a big deal. If the mold is good, the gaps and everything else should look nice. I have had fiberglass hoods on two other cars and my brothers a pro body man and painter that has done a lot of custom applications. He hasn't painted my car yet but I wouldn't hesitate to get an American Muscle hood, which I will.

Edit: I didn't see you got the hood and it didn't fit that great. Like I said though having seen a lot of custom hoods/body kits go on cars, they almost never fit like a show car and will not fit like factory. It is a little give and take. I would say the majority of aftermarket fiberglass hoods require some body work.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

If you do a quick search on Cervani hoods or Harwood hoods, you can find both customers who were pleased and others who said both hoods fit like sh$t. There aftermarket hoods, aftermarket never is perfect, I don't care what company. One thing I have noticed with Foxbody's is the aftermarket performance parts normally fit well.
fox bodys are big square boxes tho....

post #30 of 38 Old January 18th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94racing View Post
i dont and mine does pretty decent. only shakes around 120+ unless im going around a few semis

my hood (champion hoods of cincinatti) has 2 peices of foberglass that run 6 inches each along the insideso it would really tear the hood up if it came out.

thats what i about went with for mine.

fox bodys are big square boxes tho....
^^^^^This is a true statement lol.
post #31 of 38 Old January 19th, 2014, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
You
Regular

sorry I said harwood, its a truefiber. Doesnt change the fact it fits like ass
post #32 of 38 Old January 20th, 2014, 10:10 AM
AmericanMuscle.com

Quote:
follow up. Got the hood and it fits like SHIIT. Is a hardwood, came in a harwood box. The passenger side has a bump in it, not flush with the fender, the latch BARELY latches and I Have the latch moved all the way up (Im going to have to oval the holes out, I can barely close it) the back of the cowl is just completely open. Fuking waste of money
Quote:
Im talking modify the latch on the car, not the hood. And theyre quick to label it as an american muscle brand hood, when its a harwood. If I knew it was a harwood, I wouldnt have bought it. I tore the box up opening it, would cost me 150 bucks to ship it back. At this point I just dont want anyone else to think theyre getting something they arent
Quote:
sorry I said harwood, its a truefiber. Doesnt change the fact it fits like ass
OP,

None of our hoods should fit with large bumps in them or barely latching! That's certainly not acceptable. It sounds like the hood you received was defective from the manufacturer.

I'd be more than happy to setup an exchange for a new hood. We'll cover shipping both ways, as we normally do with any defective parts. Don't worry, I want to make sure you're taken care of!

Can you send me a PM with your order number, First/Last name, and shipping address? I'll setup the exchange ASAP, so you can have a correctly fitted hood installed on your Fox!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #33 of 38 Old January 20th, 2014, 10:19 AM