Question for you guys in a engineering or other professional career - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Question for you guys in a engineering or other professional career

I have my first interview for an internship in the engineering department of a local manufacturing facility.

Aside from obviously dressing nice and carrying yourself accordingly, what should I be prepared for? Obviously I have really no prior experience to fall on, and I'm sure they know this since I'm applying for an internship and I'm still in college.

Any tips? I'm nervous about what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM
The Aviator

Show that you are an exuberating young guy. Give the impression that you are ambitious and willing to grow, learn, experiment on top of your current knowledge. I've worked manufacturing for almost 5 years. Id write more but I'm on break and gotta go. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #3 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Hardcore Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
Show that you are an exuberating young guy. Give the impression that you are ambitious and willing to grow, learn, experiment on top of your current knowledge. I've worked manufacturing for almost 5 years. Id write more but I'm on break and gotta go. Lol
+1

Obviously dress nice and be polite but don't kiss ass. Show them what you know and stress how hard of a worker you are. Don't be too nervous either. My first professional job interview was actually easier than the retail/part time job type interviews I had before.

Good Luck!

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 10:25 PM
MM's DRUNKEN SAILOR & master shit shoveler

Send a message via Yahoo to deedub97GT
You need to go in there and m ot show fear. People will feed on that. When you get in talk tough and don't be scared to back it up. Find the biggest baddest head honcho mother fuck in there and whoop his ass. Then shank thw guy beside him. Might land ya a few months in solitude but once you get out ya won't be fucked with. Then ya get mad street cred once the outside hears.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

MILITARY CREW GSM2

Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!

Like old harleys? check out my build thread! -->75 rigid iron rebuild

i love throbbing meat
post #5 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!
Somebody just watched Shawshank Redemption

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #6 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Manthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Somebody just watched Shawshank Redemption

That's what I was thinking

1996 Laser Red Mustang GT-Totaled October 2,2012
2000 Dark Blue Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC
2002 Honda F4i Black/Red
2000 Yamaha YZF-600R "Thunder Kitty"
2015 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SE
Carolina Crew #53
post #7 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Thanks Dee dub.
post #8 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fox2102 Send a message via MSN to Fox2102
Know something about the company. 9 times out of 10 they will ask. Don't be afraid to interview the interviewer. My favorite question for an interviewer that is a manager I ask them to describe their management philosophy in 1 work. Just relax, know your experience, and remember that if they've brought you in they already probably think you can do that job. They want to make sure you can back up what's on your resume and that you are a good cultural fit.
post #9 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 11:27 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I know when my dad was interviewed for a few positions they asked him if there was something he did at his current job that he didn't like(like if he messed up on something), and asked him to describe a situation where a problem had occurred and he had to overcome it and describe how he resolved the issue.
post #10 of 37 Old October 25th, 2013, 11:38 PM
MM's DRUNKEN SAILOR & master shit shoveler

Send a message via Yahoo to deedub97GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
Thanks Dee dub.
No prpblem brother. Thats the closest I've ever been to an internship. Figured I might as well add my 2 cents lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

MILITARY CREW GSM2

Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!

Like old harleys? check out my build thread! -->75 rigid iron rebuild

i love throbbing meat
post #11 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
I know when my dad was interviewed for a few positions they asked him if there was something he did at his current job that he didn't like(like if he messed up on something), and asked him to describe a situation where a problem had occurred and he had to overcome it and describe how he resolved the issue.
I HATE those questions.

So tell me a problem that came to light and how you solved it?

I never know what to say. What exactly can you even say? The shitter was clogged, so I took the plunger and uncloged it?

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2102 View Post
Know something about the company. 9 times out of 10 they will ask. Don't be afraid to interview the interviewer. My favorite question for an interviewer that is a manager I ask them to describe their management philosophy in 1 work. Just relax, know your experience, and remember that if they've brought you in they already probably think you can do that job. They want to make sure you can back up what's on your resume and that you are a good cultural fit.
Its just an internship. I have no experience lol. But I agree with the comment that they are bringing me in so they probably already think I can do it. That makes me feel pretty good.

I did work as a wireman in a robotics manufacturer one time though. Ill be sure to mention that.
post #12 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I've never had that type of question before, but I would have a hard time answering it.
post #13 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Go in there relaxed and confident, if you are not generally confident or get nervous learn to fake it. Don't seem cocky though, if you seem like a douche they will simply find someone else. As said before, make sure you are well dressed; the better you look the more confident you will be. Make sure your suit fits properly, shirt is pressed, tie your tie well, socks go with your suit (don't wear black socks with a blue suit). I pride myself on usually being the best dressed, most professional looking one in the room on most of my interviews.

Research the company, know what they will require you to do. I've interviewed for engineering positions in industries I have never heard of and spent hours the night before research the company and what they do so I can speak intelligently about it. Knowing the company will also add to your confidence. This may sound stupid, but know what is on your resume. You should pretty much be able to recite your resume and speak in detail about what is on it. I've heard from interviewers that many people have trouble speaking about what they put on their resume. Also think of questions to ask the person who is interviewing you. I've been looking for an entry level job since I recently graduated and typically ask; What will my training be like? What will a typical work day consist of? How much work is done in teams? Questions like that.

One last point, don't forget a follow up email after the interview. Just tell them thank you for taking time to interview you and giving you an opportunity to learn more about the company. Something along those lines as a courtesy for their time.

I hope this is helpful to you and good luck. Now I just need to find a career for myself.

2000 GT, Black, 3.73's, Sub-Frame connectors
Lame I know
post #14 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 06:15 AM
FBGM

Def be looking good, I applied for a security postion at an amusment park, couldn't tell you how many people just looked like complete slobs. The guy I interviewed for asked me some questions but I told he I was more than likely going to be working in boston. He said good luck in getting that job and to call him and let him know if I got it or not. For me Im not big on suits. But I will generally wear a Dress shirt, dress pants, nice watch, and shoes, Everything Ironed, everything perfect, hair perfect, shaved, no dry skin on my face, I moisturize my hands before the ride to the interview. For me Im all about details Im this anal because I notice when other people don't, like they have a stain on their shirt that's barely noticeable, stuff like that. If I were to be interviewing in a professional field then yes I would wear a suit.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #15 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Don't walk slow. I'd never hire a slow walker....

GMS intake & plenum, 70mm frpp tb, UPR ss w/rockcrusher, UPR o/r X, frpp 3.73s, Predator'd
boringly stock........but running well
LZR RED CREW#15
post #16 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMGT View Post
Don't walk slow. I'd never hire a slow walker....
Agreed. I always walk with a porpoise.

post #17 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Agreed. I always walk with a porpoise.

...no squeakers either.

GMS intake & plenum, 70mm frpp tb, UPR ss w/rockcrusher, UPR o/r X, frpp 3.73s, Predator'd
boringly stock........but running well
LZR RED CREW#15
post #18 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Administrator

~tee-hee~

post #19 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

I think ill be sure to polish my porpoise before I go in. A clean porpoise makes you look a lot better for the position.
post #20 of 37 Old October 26th, 2013, 07:01 PM
MM Fanatic

Learn how to shake hands the proper way and look them dead in the eye when you do

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page