Royal's 96 GT build (slow) - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old March 12th, 2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

Royal's 96 GT build (slow)

Things are starting to look like theyre going somewhere, so its time to make a thread.

Pics to come.

The plan is simple:
Boosted 4v 4.6 teksid.

The goal is somewhere around 500 rwhp. For FI, the current plan is to go centri, but if I somehow come across a KB for an amazing deal (and I mean amazing) I may go that route. Very little chance I decide to turbo, but anything's possible.

Here's what I have so far:
Complete 97 Cobra shortblock
Complete 99 DOHC C-heads, including cams, valve covers, and COP covers.

I obviously plan on building the block for boost. I plan on buying as many parts used as possible, minus rotating assembly (minus the forged crank Ive already bought used) in order to keep the cost down. This is a big reason the build will be so slow.

But, aside from the engine, I also plan on doing as much of a restoration on the car as possible, including new paint and extensive interior work, along with new wheels (eventually). I also plan on giving the suspension an overhaul as well.

So in short, I have a lot to do, and figured I'd bore you all with the details

TL;DR: I'm doing stuff to my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old March 12th, 2014, 05:21 PM
You had one job!

I'm not real clear but is this going to be a slow build?

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #3 of 18 Old March 12th, 2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

Yes.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old May 26th, 2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

So I havent updated this thread, mosy because I havent done much. I did replace the balljoints with steeda x2s and installed the steeda bumpsteer kit. Due to money ossues I havent gotten anything else for the engine yet short of whats listed in the OP.

However, Im planning on doing some stuff in the coming months, but right now Im working on making my garage a more suitable work space.

I managed to clear out a space for now that I can actually work on the block. Well this morning I noticed this:

Im not really sure if this is a crack or a molding seam. I posted in the modular forum, but if anyone here knows, please let me know.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #5 of 18 Old May 27th, 2014, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

So good news is the "crack" is definitely a casting seam. The build continues!...slowly.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #6 of 18 Old April 4th, 2016, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
impecunious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
Things are starting to look like they're going somewhere, so its time to make a thread.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh, you naive bastard, you.

So this build thread has basically been a whole lot of nothing. The reason for that being, I'm a college student working a part-time sometimes job, and I have other bills to pay. As a result, I've just been gathering parts over the last two years, and I doubt anyone wants to read thread with "I just bought this, here's a picture!"

At this point in the build, I've become less concerned with making the absolute most power possible and have became more focused on building the car for me and enjoying the build, which means I'm not necessarily going to be doing things... conventionally. I like the customization factor of these things far better than just bolting pieces on. But more on that later.

Anyhow, here's where I am with the motor:
I have
  • 97 Cobra Teksid block
  • 4v C-Heads from a Lincoln Continental
  • (4/8) Manley Forged H-Beam Rods
  • Forged 97 Cobra crank
  • Canton windage tray
  • 97 Cobra oil pump
  • FRPP High Volume oil pickup tube
  • FRPP 4v timing set
  • 3 bolt timing cover
  • Lincoln Aviator lower intake manifold

I only have 4/8 of the rods because buying all 8 at once would hurt me pretty bad, so I'm stretching that pain out a bit and buying them one by one when I have the cash. But I can't cheap out on rods.

I'm going with an Aviator lower intake because I found a good deal on one, people seem to see improvements in the lower RPM range with them, and it's different so why not? I plan on fabricating a custom upper lid for it.

The main hump I'm trying to get over is machine work, but a) Finding a machine shop that I trust around here that doesn't have a 6 month turn-around is impossible, and b) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Once I get past the machine shop phase, however, it should be a downhill climb from there.

I also am in possession of a power adder that I'll talk about in the future, when it's ready to go in. It'll definitely require a bit of fabrication, but I think I'll have fun with it.

On the aesthetic side of things, I've been collecting a few things to make the car look less like a rolling pile of dung over the past year or so. I haven't put any of them on/in yet because I've been waiting for it to all come together. I ordered probably the biggest thing for the car on Friday, so I can say that it should hopefully be all coming together soon. I'll try to update the build thread with some of my interior/exterior projects that are coming up.

So yeah, this update is pretty boring, but just to give you an idea of what I'm doing to the car right now, it's been sitting with a fried clutch for about 6 months now because it's been too cold and I've been too busy to work on it until now. So it is currently in the air, as I fight the exhaust, just waiting for a brand new FRPP clutch (which, even with just the 2v, will be an improvement over the cheap econo-clutch I put in 3 years ago). I'll take more pictures if anything crazy happens, but I'm really hoping for a smooth procedure lol.

I also decided to go ahead and pull the intake and fix the coolant leak I've been ignoring for the better part of 2.5 years. Pulling the intake just so happens to give me awesome access to the top 2 transmission bolts. Win Win!

So that's all I got for now. Here's to hoping it doesn't take me another year to update this thread.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #7 of 18 Old April 5th, 2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #8 of 18 Old May 28th, 2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

Small update. If you know me fairly well or have seen any of my post pertaining to the situation, you know the situation with my car currently. If you don't, I'll sum it up as shortly as I can: Rust.

So with the paint on hold, I am currently on the lookout for a clean roller.

In the mean time, I'm collecting some bits and pieces. Just picked this up last week:

Pretty damn excited about these Mach 1/Bullitt gauges. Just put in order in to superbrightleds and should have 5 new LED bulbs by next week, and the gauge should be shining a bright white.

Car is finally back on it's wheels again as I have fought weather and work and school to try and get the clutch replaced. I just need to put it back in the air one more time to get the exhaust bolted up and then the intake needs to go back on and it'll be able to move under it's own power again for the time being.

Once I get this roller situation straightened out I should be ready to start making some strides engine-wise, but we'll see.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #9 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Regular

That is one sexy ass cluster. Did u buy the whole cluster or is it like a laminate you install over the original one. I also see you bought some painting materials You plan on painting the car yourself.
post #10 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
impecunious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
That is one sexy ass cluster. Did u buy the whole cluster or is it like a laminate you install over the original one. I also see you bought some painting materials You plan on painting the car yourself.
Technically I just bought the face, but the seller was badass and just sent the whole cluster, including the red needles.

And yeah, I do plan on painting it myself once I get a roller. No sense painting this rusted shell lol.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #11 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 12:30 AM
Regular

Awesome! I had never seen that cluster before. I just looked it up on ebay and they go for about $240 up. Looking forward to this build especially the body work and paint job. I really like DIY projects.
post #12 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
impecunious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Awesome! I had never seen that cluster before. I just looked it up on ebay and they go for about $240 up. Looking forward to this build especially the body work and paint job. I really like DIY projects.
Yeah, this is actually a custom face made by a company who is out of business now apparently. Goes into your stock gauge cluster. Getting the legit Mach 1/Bullitt gauges to fit is next to impossible unless you're willing to cut the stock faces or swap over all of the new edge wiring.

And thanks! I'm hoping to get ahold of a roller within the next couple months so that I have good temperatures to paint in before I outlive the paint's shelf life.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #13 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 01:46 AM
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Man, this build is slower than an Amish drag race.

Joking aside, I know how you feel about not being able to build your car as quickly as you want to. I go to school, work part-time, and have other bills to pay, just like you do. On a positive note though, it's not like you've got to rely on your Mustang for transportation, nor do you have to ever meet any real deadlines on it. This project can take as long as you want it to.

If I may suggest, keep on searching for rollers on Ebay or Craigslist or whatever. Obviously, make sure that the body is decent (no crushed quarter panels, bent frames, broken glass, rust, etc.), but if it needs some minor paint / body work, then so what? You're not building a show car here are you?

Any car a few states south of you would be better than the rusty car you have now, hell, even if it's a piddly little V6 car with a blown head gasket or some other issue. I'm sure that you would be able to swap over most, if not all of the wiring, drivetrain, and whatnot from your rusty car into a less rusty one. Find a good roller somewhere south of where you are, and if you've ever got a week or two where you don't have any obligation to be anywhere, take a road trip with a buddy or something and go pick it up!

I would love to be able to offer some good sage-like advice about machine shops, but sadly, I have none. Simply because I don't know what is and isn't true about the different shops in your area. If anything though, make sure you have all of the engine parts you want to use, and make DAMN SURE that you know what you need / want done to your engine. Making the machine shop figure that shit out is a HUGE PITA.

I wish you luck with your slow-as-molasses build. As well as your schooling and whatever else you have going on.
post #14 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
impecunious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettNorton View Post
Man, this build is slower than an Amish drag race.

Joking aside, I know how you feel about not being able to build your car as quickly as you want to. I go to school, work part-time, and have other bills to pay, just like you do. On a positive note though, it's not like you've got to rely on your Mustang for transportation, nor do you have to ever meet any real deadlines on it. This project can take as long as you want it to.

If I may suggest, keep on searching for rollers on Ebay or Craigslist or whatever. Obviously, make sure that the body is decent (no crushed quarter panels, bent frames, broken glass, rust, etc.), but if it needs some minor paint / body work, then so what? You're not building a show car here are you?

Any car a few states south of you would be better than the rusty car you have now, hell, even if it's a piddly little V6 car with a blown head gasket or some other issue. I'm sure that you would be able to swap over most, if not all of the wiring, drivetrain, and whatnot from your rusty car into a less rusty one. Find a good roller somewhere south of where you are, and if you've ever got a week or two where you don't have any obligation to be anywhere, take a road trip with a buddy or something and go pick it up!

I would love to be able to offer some good sage-like advice about machine shops, but sadly, I have none. Simply because I don't know what is and isn't true about the different shops in your area. If anything though, make sure you have all of the engine parts you want to use, and make DAMN SURE that you know what you need / want done to your engine. Making the machine shop figure that shit out is a HUGE PITA.

I wish you luck with your slow-as-molasses build. As well as your schooling and whatever else you have going on.
Oh trust me, I've been looking far and wide for a roller, and have even passed up on a few that had more rust than I was comfortable with.

I'm looking at one as I type this out that I'm interested in, but it's in the opposite direction of what I was expecting. I may try to arrange someone to go take a look at it for me, eh.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #15 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 02:10 AM
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Just found this if it's any kind of inspiration.

https://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/5591554549.html
post #16 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
impecunious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettNorton View Post
Just found this if it's any kind of inspiration.

https://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/5591554549.html

Definitely on the far side of things, though. Do you guys salt the crap out of your roads over there?

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #17 of 18 Old May 29th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Quote:
Definitely on the far side of things, though. Do you guys salt the crap out of your roads over there?
I know that in Kansas City (close to where I live), there is some salt that gets spread on the roads, but not NEARLY as bad as something like New York or Ohio. Vehicles do rust here, but again, not as bad as vehicles up north.

That particular roller though is in central Kansas (about 2 hours away from me), and I don't think their roads are salted very much at all. I live in the eastern part of Kansas, but I've always noticed that the farther west I go, the less and less rusty all of the vehicles are. Hell, in western Kansas, I've even seen a LOT of old Chevy trucks with rust-free bodies.
post #18 of 18 Old November 28th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Canon Gang

Garage
Quote:

You followed my paint thread to a tee! I'm so proud! Can't wait to see how this thing turns out man!

Maximum Motorsports - Bilstein - Hypercoils - Aerocatch - UPR - Steeda - Hawk - Jegs - Eibach - SR Performance - Mishimoto - DDM - Bassani

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page