Fire The Cable Company! - Page 3 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
Even the shittiest cable is better than DSL. DSL doesn't even download at 1mbps.
Mine wasn't bad actually.. I think it was only 1.5mb but it was so reliable it never went out and I never actually complained about the speed.. And at $15 a month I kinda wish I wouldn't have "upgraded" to comcast, which costs $100 more per month (with cable) and was only running at 5mb when I was paying for 22.

I'm on hold with them now. I want to get rid of my cable and keep the internet if it's cheap enough. I asked the lady what it would cost to remove the cable and just have the internet and she still hasn't got back to me with an answer.. It's been 15 minutes.

This company must either hire morons or it's setup so it's purposely difficult to answer a question like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
RIP Dennis

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ
They are icing ya. Making you think its not common. I used to work for an ISP its part of their procedure.

Speak From Experience Not From What You Have Heard.
Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #43 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
It's making me want to leave them more.

She finally got back to me. $66.95 per month for 22mb..

CenturyLink offers 40mb for $30 per month, 12 months guaranteed rate with 12 month contract (the way it fucking should be). My dad also works for CenturyLink so I might see if there is another discount I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
RIP Dennis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ View Post
It's making me want to leave them more.

She finally got back to me. $66.95 per month for 22mb..

CenturyLink offers 40mb for $30 per month, 12 months guaranteed rate with 12 month contract (the way it fucking should be). My dad also works for CenturyLink so I might see if there is another discount I can get.
Sounds like you just fired your cable company!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgx2gkb6qu...firecable.docx

Thats a document I worked up for the ordeal.

Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #45 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
Thank you Chris!
post #46 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
RIP Dennis

Garage
Anytime. I hope this helps some people save money or at least know whats out there

Facebook
Google+
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #47 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
It will for sure. I just got off the phone with Comcast and the lady seemed genuinely upset at me cancelling. Do they get bonuses from retaining customers?

Also, I called my dad he gave me a few pointers on how to avoid the $14 setup fee and modem fee. Gonna head over to their store after work.
post #48 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
RIP Dennis

Garage
Some do get bonuses for retainment.

Facebook
Google+
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #49 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.

Got me thinkin Chris... Right now I pay $104 a month for cable/internet. No home phone. My 1y ear contract is almost up, at which point my price will go up. Couple questions though... whats the difference between amazon prime and netflix? Looks like they have pretty much the same thing. I have the 7.99 a month streaming from netflix. What would be the added benefit if I got amazon prime as well?

Also, what kind of channels does the Roku 3 get? Is these a subscription charge? Or just pay the $99 for the unit and you're good to go?

Black Stang Crew #Coorslight

BONER CREW EMPLOYEE #3 - RECEIVING DEPARTMENT

[CUMYUM!]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
i like pee pees i guess too
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
post #50 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 06:27 PM
MM's Database Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Kohrs93) View Post
Got me thinkin Chris... Right now I pay $104 a month for cable/internet. No home phone. My 1y ear contract is almost up, at which point my price will go up. Couple questions though... whats the difference between amazon prime and netflix? Looks like they have pretty much the same thing. I have the 7.99 a month streaming from netflix. What would be the added benefit if I got amazon prime as well?

Also, what kind of channels does the Roku 3 get? Is these a subscription charge? Or just pay the $99 for the unit and you're good to go?
On top of your video library, you get free 2 day shipping with prime. That's about it. Amazon might not have the same extensive library as netflix yet, but it's on it's way there.

post #51 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 06:50 PM
The Boss is in

If you guys HAD to choose between DirecTV and DishNetwork, who would you choose.

When we move into our new house on the 1st like I mentioned, there is no available broadband option, no cable lines out there and probably never will be.

I talked to ATT today about a hotspot in the house that runs off LTE. Its 60 a month for 6 gbs. Which is fine, however, I wont be able to stream anything. Not because of the speeds, but I will blow through my data cap 100 times over and get handed a $1000 bill. That isnt going to happen. So basically, we are going to be going from firing our cable company to getting rid of Netflix and and no longer streaming shows. We will be forced to pay for Satellite if we want any TV. So we are left with two options. Dish Network or DirecTV, thats it. And sadly, we wont be streaming anything anymore but we will still be able to use the internet for web pages and school work and stuff, just no streaming.
post #52 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.

I haven't used dish in YEARS, back when i used it last it would lose signal when the dam wind blew. I'm sure it's gotten better though.

My father and my father-in-law both have direct tv... I like it. Easy to use, good price. I think my dad pays $69.99 a mnth

Black Stang Crew #Coorslight

BONER CREW EMPLOYEE #3 - RECEIVING DEPARTMENT

[CUMYUM!]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
i like pee pees i guess too
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
post #53 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 07:17 PM
The Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
Damn! $80? I got mine for $50. They had a deal that was $50/month for a year contract and I just called and said "I want the $50/month FiOS but I'm not certain that I'll be living here for a year so can I get that without the 1-year contract?" and they just went ahead and did it. So if I need to I can cancel it and once they raise my prices at the end of 12 months (if I'm still here), I'll just call and tell them I'm switching back to Time Warner unless they lower my bill again.
I'm on no contract. It was $69 when I signed up a few years ago. I'm also on their tier 3 plan I believe. Its one of the fastest they offered at the time... 50 down/25 up Mbps or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #54 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 07:59 PM
The Boss is in

I looked into both. Im going to get DirecTV.
post #55 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 08:14 PM
MM's Database Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
I looked into both. Im going to get DirecTV.
Definitely go Directv. Dish sucks. Been there done that.

post #56 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Dirt Dives Me Crazy

Id switch if I could watch live events free, like nascar and football.

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic56003_1.gif
post #57 of 66 Old March 14th, 2014, 08:27 PM
The Boss is in

Dish does blow. I have had them before as well and was VERY unhappy.

I called DirecTV and they have the starting package at 25 bucks a month that actually has all of the channels I watch, so no need to get anything bigger. However, once you get the DVR is when they raise the prices lol. That DVR costs 15 bucks a month extra for the first two years, and after that its 25.

So it will be 46.99 for DVR in two rooms and the basic package. Thats still not bad. And with the On Demand access and DVR, I wont really miss Netflix anyway. And after two years when it goes up its still only like 60 a month, so whatever. It is what it is.

I get reimbursed for internet. But it still doesn't make it easier coughing up the initial money for shitty data capped internet. But once again, thats also what it is, nothing I can do about it. I love the location of the house and can do without massive amounts of data. Ill probably just get the 10gbs through ATT for like 60 a month or something.
post #58 of 66 Old March 15th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt

Couple of things worth mentioning with comcast. Not sure if they still work but I pulled it off a few years ago when I was in high school.

With their cable boxes: when you first get their service, they give you every channel for free for like 3 days or a week as a trial trying to get you to upgrade your package. If you go into the menus you can fiddle with some of the low level settings (don't remember how to get to them, but I'm sure you can google it). What you're looking for is one that says UID. Go to this field and change the numbers, just put some random crap in there. This will make your "3 day trial" permanent, giving you access to all the channels even though you're only paying for their shit-tier basic package.

Secondly, if you get their internet, head over to eBay and buy one of their older surfboard modems and a jtag box. Should run you like $100 for the two of em. Google how to hack a comcast modem and you'll find all sorts of tutorials that tell you how to take apart the modem, connect it to the jtag box, and then "uncap" the modem, allowing you to have as much bandwidth as you want. You can pay for their shit-tier service and have like 60mbps.

No clue what happens if and when you get caught doing this shit, or the legality of it. I never cared, and never got caught.

MM BRONY CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
It's good looking and it feels so nice and soft.
post #59 of 66 Old April 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
RIP Dennis

Garage
Well my cable bill just came in. My "contract discount" has came off the account. How in the holy hell can people pay $302 a month and not even get hbo, starz, cinemax or any of those add ons. Jebus

Facebook
Google+
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #60 of 66 Old April 10th, 2014, 12:31 PM
MM Fanatic

Looked into getting FIOS but its not available here for some reason, army probably wont let them lay the lines on post or something. I can only get regular verizon DSL.

I got Time Warner internet only now and Ive never had any problems with them but with Comcast buying them out I sense a shitstorm coming. I know a lot of people have huge issues with Comcast. I torrent a lot and sometimes run game servers from the house so I dont want them throttling my shit or putting caps on my lines. January I downloaded 377gb of stuff and Time Warner never capped me, throttled my speed, or said a word about it. Comcast will put an end to that Im sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page