GM recalls - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old March 17th, 2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
You had one job!

GM recalls

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this? The way I see it I think congress should stay out of it as this is what class action lawsuits are designed for. Also the last paragraph irks me a bit as they didn't fully pay back what they borrowed even though they are raking in that kind of cash?

Yahoo!

The bungled recall of 1.6 million General Motors cars with ignition problems linked to at least 12 deaths has led to congressional hearings, lawsuits and anger from owners and auto safety advocates. Following that recall, GM vowed to change the way it approaches such problems, and today it announced three new recalls covering an additional 1.5 million cars, vans and SUVs, and said it would set aside $300 million this quarter to pay for the repairs.

GM said the new recalls were driven by a review ordered from chief executive Mary Barra, after it was revealed that GM engineers dithered for more than a decade over the ignition problems in Chevy Cobalts and other models. “I asked our team to redouble our efforts on our pending product reviews, bring them forward and resolve them quickly,” Barra said in a statement. “That is what today’s GM is all about.”

The automaker said there were no reports of injuries related to the three new recalls, which involve:

— About 1.18 million Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia models from the 2008-2013 model years, Chevrolet Traverse from the 2009-2013 model years, and Saturn Outlook from the 2008-2010 model years. GM says if these SUVs have an air bag warning light go on that’s not serviced within a couple of months, the side air bags could fail to deploy in a crash. Dealerships will fix the problem by removing a wiring connector and soldering the wires together.

— Some 63,900 Cadillac XTS full-size sedan from the 2013 and 2014 model years, where a loose plug in a brake booster pump could lead to contamination that creates enough heat to spark a fire. GM said it had two reports from customers and two from vehicles in dealerships about the problem, which will be fixed by reinforcing the plug.

— 303,000 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans from the 2009-2014 model years with gross vehicle weight under 10,000 pounds. The passenger-side plastic cover for the front air bag does not meet federal standards; GM says it will stop selling the vans until it develops a replacement cover.

GM’s steps follow similar moves by Toyota in the wake of its recalls in 2009 over floor mats and unintended acceleration, where it too vowed to move quicker to identify problems. And just like the Toyota cases, those steps did little to slow the march of investigations and lawsuits.

Congressional committees in both the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate have launched probes into why GM and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did not act sooner. NHTSA also has its own probe into GM's actions, and the company faces a growing number of lawsuits — although in its 2009 bankruptcy, GM shed all liability for crashes before then.

GM's own timeline of the ignition problems in Cobats, Saturn Ions and several other models — a flaw that allows the cars to accidentally switch off, disabling their air bags — showed engineers had the first indication of a problem in 2001. GM finally recalled the Cobalt in February, but was forced to expand the recall earlier this month after media reports linked the issue to the Chevy HHR and other models.

While the $300 million charge is sizable, it will not make a major dent in GM's balance sheet; the company made $3.8 billion last year, has nearly $28 billion in cash in its automotive business and generates $300 million in sales every 16 hours.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old March 17th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Good thing the government bailed them out! Government Motors ftl.

Although I had heard a much higher amount of deaths, like in the 100's. Not sure it it's accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
If you have $40 in your wallet and your girlfriend has $5 in hers. How much money does your girlfriend have?

$45. She has $45.

post #3 of 11 Old March 17th, 2014, 09:57 PM
PSN alphadong11

Fuck I thought they had ignition problems all the time. I can pull they key out of mine with the car running. Comes in handy when I check the mail with my mail key. If somene runs up and tries to steal it, I can press the keypad and lock the doors and then the alarm. Still waiting for someone to try that.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old March 17th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Chicken Fucker

The lawsuits are a completely seperate matter. The problem is that if GM knew about this problem years ago and willfully ignored it thereby putting hundreds of thousand's lives in potential danger. Of course nothing will actually be done other than some fines and lawsuits being handed out since money buys lives.

Wish that we could sentence some of those fat cats to prison terms because they felt that all lives equate to nothing but a slight ding to the bottom line but we are only the pawns on their chessboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
moral of story drugs are a hell of a drug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Peni are evil, conniving assholes. They do this to us all the damn time. Don't trust it!
post #5 of 11 Old March 17th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
The lawsuits are a completely seperate matter. The problem is that if GM knew about this problem years ago and willfully ignored it thereby putting hundreds of thousand's lives in potential danger. Of course nothing will actually be done other than some fines and lawsuits being handed out since money buys lives.

Wish that we could sentence some of those fat cats to prison terms because they felt that all lives equate to nothing but a slight ding to the bottom line but we are only the pawns on their chessboard.
Agreed. I really wish we could go back to the manufactures making a quality product at no cost because they truly care about pride over profits.
post #6 of 11 Old March 17th, 2014, 11:47 PM
MM Fanatic

I agree with all above. It sucks. Lives were lost that shouldnt have been. I seen a story of a young girl that died. You know...its damn near murder. Everyone at GM has someone to answer to and when you are afraid for your job if you give the wrong answer...theres something seriously wrong. Theres another thread about labor laws somewhere on MM and to the same point, corporate greed and the almighty dollar come before all.

Hey... knock a self a pro, Slick! That gray matter backlot perform us DOWN, I take TCB-in', man! Hey, you know what they say: See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em! COL' got to be! Y'know? Sheeeet.
post #7 of 11 Old March 18th, 2014, 03:09 PM
The Boss is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post

I'd like to go off about how much I hate GM. But Ford did the Exact same thing in the early 70's with the Pinto. They figured it was cheaper to pay out lawsuits when people where killed then recall the entire car.

It ended up biting them in the ass pretty hard and hurt their credibility for awhile.
post #8 of 11 Old March 18th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
I'd like to go off about how much I hate GM. But Ford did the Exact same thing in the early 70's with the Pinto. They figured it was cheaper to pay out lawsuits when people where killed then recall the entire car.

It ended up biting them in the ass pretty hard and hurt their credibility for awhile.
There were only 27 fire deaths with the Pintos, I did a lot of research on that back in high school. I guess you had a better chance of dying from fire from a Nissan Maxima.

But regardless, this is how companies fix things these days. I don't like it. I would rather have a quality and pride built vehicle.
post #9 of 11 Old March 18th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Chicken Fucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post

Wasn't trying to bash GM if it came out that way. I'm of the opinion that anyone who stands by that mindset needs to be in prison. Lives should never, under no uncertain terms, be broken down on a budget spreadsheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
moral of story drugs are a hell of a drug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Peni are evil, conniving assholes. They do this to us all the damn time. Don't trust it!
post #10 of 11 Old March 18th, 2014, 10:13 PM