Mach Stang's - '88 Chevy K1500 build - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 Old July 24th, 2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
been forever since I've updated this thread.

So far nothing much has changed with the truck. Did how ever just put a 10" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer with a Sound ordinance amp and box into the truck. I was surprised to how well the sub fits behind the seats even with them all the way back. Had to remove the tool box that sat behind the seat, but that wasnt a huge deal to me. Plus even being a low power sub (400 max rms), it kicks pretty good. Thats the benefit to having a single cab truck

the amp was awesome because it came with a remote bass gain knob and a free wiring kit.

In other news. Hauled my first major load (lol) over the weekend. Had to haul at first a gator and a yard tractor. Big whoop I know. But fter that, I had 2 golf carts, a big ass inflatable bounce house, the garden trailer again, and around 400lbs of sand bags. Truck did well with it. she hates the slightest hill though and has to shift out of overdrive, but she did well.

first load

the heavy load

and now shes going to be getting ready for a trip to Tennessee next Wednesday. I have a feeling she'll make it no problem. Though the spark plugs and wires are due for a change any day now.

Mach Stang's 1988 K1500 Build Thread

Quote:
ITS A FUCKING GOPRO CABLE! NOT A FUCKING JDAM

-Rocco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgpony View Post
All these cameras and they can't see a pissed off Indian guy running around for 15 minutes whipping a propane tank in his hand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old September 17th, 2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
Update time!!!

First thing is first. Back from my original list, about a month ago I fixed my fuel pressure regulator. Pulled it apart and found that the adjustment pin was just old and difficult to turn. So I adjusted it while it was off. Went to re install the Injector pod when the worst happened.... Was screwing in the return line when the cast iron threads snapped. Didn't notice till I started the truck and fuel started leaking.

So with that set back, I turned to MM to help me out. Just needed the factory injector pod housing since the aftermarket regulator was a separate piece. Well BA mustang was a cool dude and pull what I needed and sent it off to me. Once that came in, another cool Canadian dude helped me install it back in. Which that was a night mare of its own. Thats a whole new story, so I'll leave that be. All in all, fuel pressure was restored and running at a good setting.

second thing to be done was a CB radio! Yup, dad got me one for my 21st birthday. Galaxy DX 979 with sideband and a 4ft solid mount flex antenna. Not much to say here other than I love it lol

and now the biggest update.... Finally got some tires. $1300 later, Im now rolling on Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 315/75/16.

holy shit what a world of a difference from my old bald tires. Those were 285/75/16 cooper discoverer STT. Over all the truck gained about 2.5 inches in height and looks a hell of a lot better. (will have a comparison of the new tires with the old side by side later. Currently they are strapped in the bed and Im lazy)

thats it for now. all thats really left is continuing small repairs. woot!

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
All these cameras and they can't see a pissed off Indian guy running around for 15 minutes whipping a propane tank in his hand...
post #23 of 51 Old September 30th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Cruising the backroads

like, Didn't know you got a cheborlet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
You only got one nom nom. One nom or two nom nom. Only one nom.
GO GO POWER RANGER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 51 Old September 30th, 2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
Damn where have you've been lol.

Spanks though!

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #25 of 51 Old April 29th, 2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
so itss been forever since Ive posted in here but I think its about time ssince the engine is about to get some work done finally!

so as an update picture, this is its most recent state.

anyways, the engine is about to get a small overhaul! Heres the goal!

Eldelebrock Intake
Eldelebrock 4bbl 650 CFM carburetor
MSD Distributer with MSD ignition system
Inline electric fuel pump
CompCam thumpr cam w/ springs, rods, rockers

all that should be happening with in the month. should hopefully wake the engine up a good amount.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #26 of 51 Old April 30th, 2015, 12:25 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Definitely should wake the engine up, edelbrock has some great stuff & same goes for MSD! How do you like those tires?

Your Ford is built to eat asphalt and clear its pipes with compacts - Summit Racing
post #27 of 51 Old April 30th, 2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
they are great. Good for average off road (dont know about heavy ass mud). Quiet, grippy for what they are and even decent in rain.

and yeah even with out the cam, it should help a lot. The stock TBI and ignition system on those engines are absolute garbage. So just giving it more fuel and better spark timing will really help. Then the cam Im getting should give me a little more torque. Its not a crazy cam but it sounds damn good.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #28 of 51 Old May 30th, 2015, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
just to post a slight update since i dont keep up with this at all.

Just replaced the belt, tensioner pulley and recharged the AC.

I always forget homw much of a pain it is to get the serpentine belt around the fan an in the right position. didnt take long but it sure got me sweating. The AC was also interesting. Since the compressor was changed from r14 to r134a, the lines were all changed and apparently the PO put on two high side service caps. So I had to find the real low line, and switch the fitting caps. That meant blowing 40psi worth of Freon into the air lol. There was so much blowing out (insert penis joke here) that I almost couldnt get the fitting to screw on to it. But luckily I didnt loose it all to where the compressor wouldnt kick on at all. But got that all sorted out and I now have cold air again.

Still saving on the engine shit for now, but I have a good chunk of cash ready to fly away. I'll hopefully start buying in the next few weeks.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #29 of 51 Old March 29th, 2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
update? Yeah I think its time.

So what all has happened since then? Well after the last post, I drove the truck to Louisiana and back with 0 issues. I think I racked up 3,200 miles or something and averaged 10 mpg with my best being 11 and worst of 9. I believe I went exactly 200 miles give or take on each tank. So with that said, you can get an idea of how many times I stopped lol. I had a log of all the miles, where I stopped and how much fuel, but I cant seem to find it. I wish I could. the trip took me 22 hours driving. I stopped and slept for about an hour and a half. I left in about 2 in the morning an arrived at 2am the next day.

Anyways, heres some random pictures. No official pics of the truck out there but yeah..

Crossing over one of the Basin bridges heading to Lafayette.

same bridge but it was when I was heading out.

yes I slept in the truck lol. Was actually kinda cozy.

On the way back into Tennessee there was a long straight, down hill stretch and decided to see if I could max the speedo. welp... I did

but then just after that picture, I noticed my oil pressure began to tank. (bottom left gauge). There was no more high speed runs after that lol

random gas station stop window shot

So yeah truck handled it great! Untill the day after I got back...

Went to go to the store with the truck. Came back out to start it and heard the infamous starter grind. Well at least it happened 2 miles from home. Called up my dad and had him pull me home.

Took off the starter and saw this piece wedge in between the bell housing dust cover and the flywheel.

bought a new starter, put that in (fuckers are heavy) and all was well.

after that, not much has happened with the truck. Just sat and looked pretty

occasionally hauling some stuff

So through out the summer, Ive done occasional maintenance stuff such as belt change, break lines replaced, new disks and pads as well as rebuilt the drums. kk Cool story. But next was the true test of the truck's abilities.

The date is January 22nd and I had planed a trip to Tennessee. Unfortunately, mother nature wanted to make that trip be as slow as possible. I departed ohio around 1pm and set south. Server snow was moving in and the worst was to hit in kentucky. About 65 miles from Lexington and the I71 / I75 interchange, the snow began to fall, and it fell hard. Ever mile progressively got worse. Eventualy I was going about 40 on the freeway avoiding snow patches while doing my best to stay in the narrow tracks where pavement could still be seen. I eventually pulled off to get fuel before I knew the worse would come. While filling up, I was interviewed by the local TV station as to why I was out. I literally told them because I was stupid, but wasnt going to let it stop me. No idea if I actually aired on TV or not but hey.

So I set back out and by now I have driven 20 miles in solid snow. There was no freeway. You made your own lane avoiding any massive snow drifts and clumps from vehicles. Several times the ass end would start to fish tail from no weight. I drove about 20 mph for about 2.5 hours before traffic started to stop around mile marker 65 on I75. I think I moved about 2 miles in that hour there. But I knew that as soon as that traffic stopped, I wasnt going anywhere for a while.

The whole time I was listening to the CB and found out that they had shut down the freeway due to many accidents. It was official that I was spending the night on the freeway. Good thing I got fuel!

20160122_164847_zpssnhts2df.mp4 Video by MachStyle | Photobucket

it was about 4pm when we stopped, and they did not get us moving till about 2am.

when 2am rolled around, they decided to take us down some back country road to bypass the freeway.

but go figure, that didnt last long. we made it 7 miles before a semi overturned, blocking the freeway. So there I sat from 3am till morning.

11am rolls around and finally I got word over the CB that the freeway had opened up back where they took us off. So I pulled a U turn and left all the truckers, to whom I made decent friends with at the time. I turned around and followed the roads in which we came in from. this is what I saw.

got to a gas station to fill up, and got on the freeway and continued south. All was smooth from there. The freeway was open and surprisingly empty.

so in that event, I left the truck running for heat for aprox 19 hours and burnt a half of tank of fuel. That day 22 inches of snow fell in about 5 hours with another 4 or 5 inches throughout the night. I was right in the worst of it.

At this point, I owe my truck a lot for what we've been through. So recently I started freshing her up some more. This actually goes back to original problems I had back when I first got the truck.

I finally got a new gauge cluster that looks a million times better than the old. Plus it had a working odometer! The guy I bought it from refurbished the gauges and could set the mileage to what ever I wanted. I bought the truck 2 years ago at 91K miles. So I figured I had around 104K now and had it set to that. Along side of getting a new gauge cluster, I replaced the HVAC control unit to something that works. I now know what the display says as the old one didnt work.

First lets admire the beautiful wiring job the previous owner left me again.

so now.. the new cluster next to the new one! Night and day difference!

So yay! New stuff!

Current plans. New vortec heads, Holly TBI, Cam, Intake. That is confirmed to happen this year. in the meantime... yay truck!

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #30 of 51 Old March 29th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Cruising the backroads

Vroom vroom.
Mach Stang! likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
You only got one nom nom. One nom or two nom nom. Only one nom.
GO GO POWER RANGER!
post #31 of 51 Old April 10th, 2016, 09:18 PM

Clean looking truck! Subbed.
Mach Stang! likes this.
post #32 of 51 Old April 11th, 2016, 08:44 AM
RIP Dennis

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ
I like it.

One question though. Why stick with the TBI? I would switch to a carb myself

Speak From Experience Not From What You Have Heard.
Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #33 of 51 Old April 13th, 2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
It's been a long road of back and forth on what to do. Still not 100% set, but the key reason for sticking with the TBI is so that I don't have to find a 83 - 87 obd1 computer system. If I get a carb, the old computer for the TBI won't know what to do and apparently it's hard to get them flashed right to run with the carb. If I get the 83 computer, I can run the carb, but there will be a few sensors that I will have to replace to matching years or delete if possible.

Basically it comes down to ease of working. I still prefer to just slap a 550 or 650 4 barrel on there and call it good

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #34 of 51 Old August 18th, 2016, 12:43 AM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Edgethis
We need an update. Whens the 383 with the 6-72 blower going in?

1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5 Build Thread
1968 Mustang fastback 351w/C4 Fastback Build
post #35 of 51 Old August 18th, 2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
well considering I just picked up a 383 today...

Looks like very soon!

engine is a 78 block, 383 stroker
bored .030 over with 3.75 stroke
speed pro hypereutectic pistons with new rings
.488/.510 lift cam
new chrome oil pan,new chrome timing chain cover
new melling oil pump
new 1.5 ratio roller rockers
arp main cap studs
aluminum edelbrock intake with edelbrock 750cfm carb
10.0:1 compression.

what I need to get for the install

HEI Distributor
plug wires
holly fuel pressure bypass valve (to run the factory fuel pump with the carb)
maybe a better radiator or electric fan for cooling
random shit that im sure will turn up.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #36 of 51 Old August 24th, 2016, 10:08 AM
You had one job!

That will be a nice upgrade!

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #37 of 51 Old August 24th, 2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
Only thing I'm kinda worried about is that cam. The duration is huge and from what I'm reading would require at 3000+ stall. Is that too much for just street use? I mean it's not a race truck. Or should I pull the cam and put something slightly more tame in there?

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #38 of 51 Old September 6th, 2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
small update:

finaly got a engine hoist and stand and got the motor out of the back of the truck. I need to get a new cam and torque converter (already have one picked out - needed something a little more tame for the street) Gotta buy a few more gaskets and bolts but other than that, everything is here and I should be able to start tearing down and building up in the next few weeks when I become free

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #39 of 51 Old September 7th, 2016, 02:48 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Nice build so far man. I'll follow along.

'99 SVT Cobra - Built 4.6l, HP Blower Cams, Novi 2000 (8-Rib), RPM T-56, SRA Swap
'88 5.0 GT Hatchback - H/C/I/E
'99 C5 Corvette FRC - H/C/I/E + Suspension
'05 F150 FX4 - Stock
'02 Mustang GT - I/E, 4.10s, Suspension SOLD
post #40 of 51 Old September 9th, 2016, 08:44 PM
You had one job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Stang! View Post
Only thing I'm kinda worried about is that cam. The duration is huge and from what I'm reading would require at 3000+ stall. Is that too much for just street use? I mean it's not a race truck. Or should I pull the cam and put something slightly more tame in there?
3k stall on the street is perfectly fine.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page