Mach Stang's - '88 Chevy K1500 build - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old May 20th, 2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
Mach Stang's - '88 Chevy K1500 build

So I've never really started a build thread due to the fact that my car is boring. I dont make nearly enough money to do the stuff I want. SO! Heres the new heap I picked up yesterday to make as a DD and tow rig.

1988 Chevy K1500
Aprox 98K miles
350 engine (rebuilt in 2009 - 5K miles since rebuild)
700r4 auto trans (rebuilt in 2009 - 5K since rebuild)
4" Rancho suspension lift with adjustable shocks (done in 2008)
Rust proofed frame
re painted 3 stage dark cherry metallic (2009)
various exterior mods
33" discoverer tires
TBI swaped from carburetor
O/R magnaflow exhaust.

Needs fixed!!

Roof lights - status - COMPLETED
Fog lights - status - COMPLETED
revers lights - status - COMPLETED
relay for high beams - status - COMPLETED
Battery - status - COMPLETED
odometer - status - NOT COMPLETED
Burnt out bulbs in gauge cluster - status - NOT COMPLETED
Tires - status - COMPLETED
Climate control panel - status - NOT COMPLETED
Various interior pieces - status - IN PROGRESS
TBI fuel pressure Gauge - status - COMPLETED
Windshield Wipers - status - COMPLETED
Passenger side window - status - COMPLETED

The issues in depth!!

Roof lights/fog lights/revers lights:

previous owner had a medical condition that impaired his vision and speech. before all lights worked. he went to install new switches and disconnected a lot of the lights. He then went to the hospital when he could not see properly. Ever since then he has been unable to do small work like this.

So I need to chase down where all these problems were and fix them. So far from what I see, the switches in the dash have power, but the lights are not functioning. some where in between is a cut

relay for high beams:

should be an easy fix. head lights were wired to have the low beams stay on when the high beams was turned on. Currently just the low beams work. PO said that its just a relay that needs replaced. Easy solution

Odometer:

as far as I know, it looks like the gear that controls the odometer and the trip meter has broken. I believe the cable that drives it fine because if the gear was not broken, then the trip meter should be able to spin and rest its self to 000. Right now that does not happen and the truck is currently stuck at 91,782.5 miles and 201.7 on the trip. So I need to tear the gauge cluster out and fix that gear if thats the issue.

Gauge cluster lights:

pretty self explanatory. left side of the cluster has no lights. Will replace bulbs when fixing odometer.

Climate control panel:

It works. I have AC, heat, defrost as well as fan speed and vent and floor controls. Only issue is that they used a digital display to tell you what is running and such. Well the display works, but everything lights up and does not change. need to look to finding a new unit and hope that that is the issue

Tires:

Yup, come winter I will need a new set. Currently sitting at about 30% and the right rear has a nail in it. But surprisingly it is holding air very well, just have to keep an eye on it.

TBI Fuel pressure gauge:

Installed was a fuel injected throttle body system. Only issue was the adjustment pin on the fuel pressure gauge broke off at some point, so the truck is running at a minimum of 19psi fuel pressure. Ideally it should run around 25psi. So I need to replace that gauge to hopefully get a little but better gas mileage. Right now the PO estimated about 10mpg.

Various Interior parts:

while the truck may look perfect on the out side, the inside shows its age. Glove box door broke its hing and needs new hinges. it closes, but falls off when opened

Driver side door handle broke off on the left side (uses a screw). temporally screwed it back in but will likely break off again

Trim parts are popping out on drivers door. could be glued back on buy will likely be replaces.

headliner is starting to sag in one spot. will be temporally glued.

Few dash pieces and other plastic spots on passenger door is broken. very minor. will replace if I see the parts

replace door pillar speakers as well as dash speakers. they work but sound like ass. Would like to also get a shallow sub woofer to squeeze behind the seat so that I get some form of bass. right now theres nothing. not even mids.

Windshield Wipers:

They just straight up dont work. Not sure if the motor is blown or if the switch is bad. I know the fuse is good but thats it. I do not know how to even get to the motors on this truck so for this issue, Im going to let a shop take care of it. plus I need it before it rains and so I dont have time to dick around with it. Should be done Thursday.

Passenger side window:

likely that the motor is just burnt out. Both switches do not work for it so Im just gonna buy a motor at car quest or something. they seem to be pretty cheap.

will add pictures of issues and plans later.

Future plans!!

Ideally I want this to be a DD and tow rig. Right now the truck produces (or should be producing) a healthy 210HP and 315ft lbs torque. Would like to add a small 2" tachometer and a proper water, oil, and fuel pressure gauge in the truck. Then I would like to do a basic engine build, mild cam and a better intake as well as some long tube headers. buddy of mine did a build similar and made 295hp and 386ft lbs torque as well as making 15mpg.

other things include general maintenance. the truck is really right where I would want any truck that I would get.

Mach Stang's 1988 K1500 Build Thread

Quote:
ITS A FUCKING GOPRO CABLE! NOT A FUCKING JDAM

-Rocco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgpony View Post
All these cameras and they can't see a pissed off Indian guy running around for 15 minutes whipping a propane tank in his hand...

Last edited by Mach Stang!; September 17th, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old May 20th, 2014, 02:28 PM
You had one job!

Nice truck, some of those interior pieces are hard to find used and severely over priced new.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #3 of 51 Old May 20th, 2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
thats the only thing I worry about. Like I found the climate control piece for like 180 used! I was like "fuck that, Ill try a junk yard first" lol. luckily though most of the stuff I should be able to find at a junk yard. only issue is finding color matching pieces.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
All these cameras and they can't see a pissed off Indian guy running around for 15 minutes whipping a propane tank in his hand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old May 20th, 2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
welp. went off to autozone to get the highbeam relay. Swapped it out and still no luck. just low beams. I didnt how ever check to see if they work off of one of the AUX switches in the cab. need to try that here later.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #5 of 51 Old May 20th, 2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
so it actually looks like I replaced the wrong relay lol. found the one I need to replace and right now Im having bad luck finding it in Autozone or advance. going to try o'rileys and car quest tomorrow. Yay electrical problems!

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #6 of 51 Old May 20th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Good luck man, I hate electrical problems! My friend has one of these (but a 95 I believe) and it seems to be an OK truck. Is your throttle really stiff? My buddy's is super stiff for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
If you have $40 in your wallet and your girlfriend has $5 in hers. How much money does your girlfriend have?

$45. She has $45.

post #7 of 51 Old May 21st, 2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
it is but thats because its a super short throw. Like the actual travel for the pedal is only like an inch or so. All my other vehicles travel for like 2 or 3". But why its stiff Im not sure. mine is like that but In a way I like it. took a little to get used to though

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #8 of 51 Old May 21st, 2014, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

Forget building what is under the hood. 5.3 or6.0 swap it. Way better mpg.
post #9 of 51 Old May 21st, 2014, 09:42 AM
Soggy Windshield

My buddy had a truck almost exactly like this one. Had weird cap/coil issues with condensation and what not. If it ever starts cutting out in the morning from a cold start, that's the problem.

2004 40th Edition Mustang V6
Custom stainless exhaust, True dual h-pipe, flowmaster 40's, 3.5" chrome tips. Reverse glow gauges, Retro knob. Hood pins, mach 1 grill delete, shorty antenna, 8000k 35W HID's. Fog's, 4.6 DOHC coming soon.
post #10 of 51 Old May 21st, 2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPz View Post
My buddy had a truck almost exactly like this one. Had weird cap/coil issues with condensation and what not. If it ever starts cutting out in the morning from a cold start, that's the problem.
Thanks for the tips I'll keep a can of WD40 I. The truck for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrito of Death View Post
Forget building what is under the hood. 5.3 or6.0 swap it. Way better mpg.
If preferred to keep the 350z bit that's just me lol. But who knows, nmaybe things will change

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #11 of 51 Old May 21st, 2014, 03:58 PM
Soggy Windshield

If you'd want to PM me a list of junkyard parts you're looking for I can look as well. We always get tons of those trucks in my area. I go at least 5-6 times a month. More often here lately.

2004 40th Edition Mustang V6
Custom stainless exhaust, True dual h-pipe, flowmaster 40's, 3.5" chrome tips. Reverse glow gauges, Retro knob. Hood pins, mach 1 grill delete, shorty antenna, 8000k 35W HID's. Fog's, 4.6 DOHC coming soon.
post #12 of 51 Old May 21st, 2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
I might do that. Nearest junk yard is like 30 miles from me so it would be helpfull. I think the one thing I do need (or would like) is the climate controll system. If you need a pic of the one I'm talking about, I can send you that.

I'm not in a hurry for one as mine works, but obviously the screen is half dead. So let me know if you find anything. Later on I might get you a list of things I may need

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #13 of 51 Old May 21st, 2014, 09:19 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I love the older Chevy trucks.
post #14 of 51 Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
welp yesturday I attempted to fix the wipers. Turns out theres a bushing in between the motor and the transmission. that bushing is bad because I can move each wiper without turning the motor. so I go to take the wiper arms off to remove the wiper cowl and fix it, but the damn passenger wiper is stuck on the shaft part and would not budge. It probably didnt help that the hood cowl prevented me from being able to get the wiper to point all the way up to pull off.

Now I almost took off the hood, but in the end I knew that the wiper was still stuck on there, so I just gave up after an hour of sweating all over the truck. Took it into the shop this morning and will hopefully have it back at the end of the day. I hate that I had to do that for a $4 part that I could have fixed my self. Fuckin wipers lol

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #15 of 51 Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
welp. fixed the windshield wipers. they got the arm off and installed the new bushings. I was out $83. oh well thats not to bad

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #16 of 51 Old June 4th, 2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
made some heavy and successful progress on the wiring today! ended up getting all the lights working once again!

started with the roof lights. found a mysterious red wire hanging from the lower power box and wondered what it was from. dug through the driver side door A pillar and found the wire running down. traced it to its end and it looks like it was knocked from its fuse. plugged it in and the lights worked! only issue was that it was on with the truck off. that spot it was plugged into had constant power. I then ran it to the gauge fuse in the fuse panel. sooo they are always on when the truck is on, but no big. Didn't fell like finding more wire to run it to the headlight switch.

next I began to tackle the rest of the stuff. Move the power wires that was connected to the battery to a better terminal (I they were poorly connected to the side terminal. moved it to the spare top terminal). I then replaced the fog light relay. I found using a tester that the remote switch wire was not sending power to the relay. So I checked the switch in the cab. That is not getting power, but all is plugged in. So here's where the fun came in...

The amound of wires running under the dash could probably stretch a mile or two down the road, and here it is all in one spot and of many different colors. I pulled, traced, and followed the wires from the switch only to finally find where they were cut. Wired it all back together to another fuse in the fuse box and suddenly, the switches had power! walked around front and saw the HID Fogs were lit! went to check the rear, but saw that the AUX reverse lights were still dead.

so off to this. ran the tester and saw that the lights was getting power, So I had to assume that it was a ground issue. And sure enough it was. on of the grounds became very rusted. cleaned it up and viola! it works! except one of the lights is burnt out. oh well no big. One is better than none!

Over all, 3 or so hours of bending like a snake under the dash was lead to good, happy results. I mean look at this mess!

but alas! It all works now. have some shitty night time pictures. at least you can see sorta how bright they are.

regular low beams (still waiting for high beam relay)

HID Off road lights (no head lights)

shit was so bright I almost blinded my self taking this

regular lights

parking lights

Shitty pics, I know. was stopped in the road and there was a car coming

few more semi good pics. No headlights, just the HIDs

Over all I love these HID's. the light is such a cool, smooth, blueish lighting and fucking lights up every thing. It will sine up and over telephone poles as well as light up street sings and reflectors many miles down the road. I could actually even spot deer in a field to my left about 50-100+ feet off the road. Im super happy I got those working as well as the other lights. so helpful.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #17 of 51 Old June 4th, 2014, 05:37 AM
More average than ever

I would put so many LED bars on that.
post #18 of 51 Old June 4th, 2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
I personally dont want to over do it, but I think eventually I'll ad a roll bar and some PIAA lights on that

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #19 of 51 Old June 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
well decided to do a little work today. Went to go replace the horribly dirty K&N filter since it was just beyond cleanable. Went and bought a new specter air filter. The K&N full kit was $127!!!! I was like "Fuck that!" and got this kit for 60 bucks. Decided to trash the factory air box since it was pretty pointless. it was open at the top and the fender intake only pulled air from the front of the engine bay. Besides, Cold air intakes are pointless. the Air gets heated up by the time it travels through the tub. Anyways, while I had the air filter off, I cleaned around the engine bay a little. Didn't spend too much time on it but it looks semi better.

heres the old air filter and air box before the cleaning (well you xant really see the air box, but yeah)

injectors are looking a little dated but it works. and props to the Original owner for that ghetto wrapped wire.

So now I begin the light cleaning. Not much help considering most of the stuff is rust that doesnt clean, but I was able to knocked out most of the dirt.

Before

After

New filter on.

next up was to change the oil and oil filter. Man I was expecting this to be easy but found it was a challenge given the location of the drain plug. Damn thing pointed right at the front drive shaft. So I knew as soon as that bolt came out, Id be faced with a huge mess.

So I improvised! Found a metal pipe in the garage that could hold a funnel and catch the oil to avoid a mess!

never seen oil this dirty. My guess is it had to be a 3 or 4 years old.

luckily the oil filter was easy and mostly mess free. So that was my adventure for the day.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
post #20 of 51 Old June 12th, 2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Certified Bwaloligisit

Garage
added the yakima bed racks that came with the truck. Will be selling those if anyone is interested.

Quote:

-Rocco
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page