Backhoe operators in here? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Backhoe operators in here?

My dad owns his own business, a pool building business, gunite pools to be exact.. And we started off in 2003 with a John Deere backhoe a 310sg 3 lever but got it converted to 4 lever by buying the kit from ford and the master kit from case...well as of last month we bought a brand new 2014 310k with all the goodies except AC..and its 3 lever as well, I drove the dump truck and hauled the backhoe to John Deere and they say that a 4 lever conversion will put unwanted stress on the backhoe and hoses. is this true? We never had trouble with our 10 year old backhoe and we worked it like a horse daily.
They say they'll put it on but it will void the warranty, not that we care cause we have money to fix it, but is this true on this new tractors?

"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

IMO, Why F with the warranty? I work for the state and we make sure that anything that would be covered under a warranty does. We end up renting stuff For Dirt Dirt cheap but the stuff we do buy we don't F with until the warranty is done, Then trade off for a new one, This way we always have low hour equipment. Keep the work horse for when the new one goes in for warranty work.

As for the 4 lever Vs 3 Lever No idea, I pretty much run skidders
post #3 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Manthusiast

Garage
If I were you, I wouldn't void the warranty. It is still useful as a 3 level so why risk having something break under warranty and being screwed?

1996 Laser Red Mustang GT-Totaled October 2,2012
2000 Dark Blue Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC
2002 Honda F4i Black/Red
2000 Yamaha YZF-600R "Thunder Kitty"
2015 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SE
Carolina Crew #53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 10:48 PM
The Boss is in

I dont know if anyone on here is a tractor mechanic..... lol. But seriously, why void the warranty? Thats just stupid, especially when something really expensive breaks and you are spending money you wouldn't have had to in order to fix it.
post #5 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
You just made a thread bragging that your dad just spent $310,000 on a tractor, then you say screw the warranty because "You guys dont care, because you got the money to fix it". Sounds like you already made up your mind lol. Why even ask?

I believe the 310k is the model. Like a Dozer can be a D5.

OP, I work construction as well and, although the 4 lever is much nicer, I wouldn't screw with it until after the warranty is up.
Now, that being said, if you can fix it if it needs fixing, and the amount of extra time and effort will effect your productivity of getting the job done, then screw the warranty and do it.
This is a business and time is money. If it cost more in time and productivity, then the 4 lever is worth it. If the difference is nominal, then just make due with the 3.

Just a question: why didn't you get a Bobcat? They have some freaking sweet ones now that have laser levels that practically do it all for you and you have a crap load of options with the accessories. Front end loaded, jack hammer, back hoe, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

BBK CAI, MAF & SHORTIES, MAC O/R H, FLOWS, STEEDA TRI AX, FRPP 3.73, MM CC PLATES & RLCA's, STEEDA BUMPSTEER & X2's, FRPP B SPRINGS & RUCA's, KONI STR.T DAMPERS, STIFFLERS MATRIX FLSFC's, COBRA STEERING RACK 17X9/10.5 SUMITOMO 275-315
post #6 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 11:17 PM
The Boss is in

I looked it up and edited my post. I thought it might have been the model number after I wrote that so I googled it. Defintiely that a $310,000 tractor
post #7 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04darkshadowgreygt View Post
I believe the 310k is the model. Like a Dozer can be a D5.

OP, I work construction as well and, although the 4 lever is much nicer, I wouldn't screw with it until after the warranty is up.
Now, that being said, if you can fix it if it needs fixing, and the amount of extra time and effort will effect your productivity of getting the job done, then screw the warranty and do it.
This is a business and time is money. If it cost more in time and productivity, then the 4 lever is worth it. If the difference is nominal, then just make due with the 3.

Just a question: why didn't you get a Bobcat? They have some freaking sweet ones now that have laser levels that practically do it all for you and you have a crap load of options with the accessories. Front end loaded, jack hammer, back hoe, etc.

A bob cat is 3-5 hours slower for us because you have to crawl in and out of the hole then load into the dump truck, with our backhoe we dig and load dirt into our dump truck while outside on the surface, and we dig 9-12ft deep. with our type of work,a bobcat is just inferior

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 cristian View Post
A bob cat is 3-5 hours slower for us because you have to crawl in and out of the hole then load into the dump truck, with our backhoe we dig and load dirt into our dump truck while outside on the surface, and we dig 9-12ft deep. with our type of work,a bobcat is just inferior
And with our pools you need an extenda-hoe, a heavy duty one too

"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
post #8 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I looked it up and edited my post. I thought it might have been the model number after I wrote that so I googled it. Defintiely that a $310,000 tractor

Haha! Yeah, for $310,000 that hoe better do more than just dig holes!

BBK CAI, MAF & SHORTIES, MAC O/R H, FLOWS, STEEDA TRI AX, FRPP 3.73, MM CC PLATES & RLCA's, STEEDA BUMPSTEER & X2's, FRPP B SPRINGS & RUCA's, KONI STR.T DAMPERS, STIFFLERS MATRIX FLSFC's, COBRA STEERING RACK 17X9/10.5 SUMITOMO 275-315
post #9 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Quote:
I dont know if anyone on here is a tractor mechanic..... lol. But seriously, why void the warranty? Thats just stupid, especially when something really expensive breaks and you are spending money you wouldn't have had to in order to fix it.
Well its not too expensive, especially when you build high dollar pools a week with 48% profit margin. Not saying I'm just gonna throw money away... but a 4 lever is years ahead of a 3 lever and a millennium ahead of a joystick operated backhoe... A 4 lever let's you move side to side while digging, extending, and retracting if needed, a 3 lever you have to slow down, a joystick.. Well those just suck...
But we said to hell with warranty we need the faster backhoe so we have more pools done on time, we have an extra tractor we were gonna retire but can use if needed too

post #10 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

I'd sell it and get a cat...and have even less levers
post #11 of 22 Old June 5th, 2014, 11:57 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:

When you realize all the things that you can do with a backhoe you start to realize they really are worth their cost.

And also to the OP I'm an operator and spend most of my time on excavators and a bit of time in backhoes. I like the joystick better actually just because it's the same as in the excavator where I spend all my time. Although I do know a lot of people who prefer the 4 stick.

That being said you should have just bought one that was 4 stick instead of messing with your warranty. Just my thoughts.

94 GT Vert

<a href="https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html"]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html">70mm Turbo Build</A>
post #12 of 22 Old June 6th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkausch View Post
When you realize all the things that you can do with a backhoe you start to realize they really are worth their cost.

And also to the OP I'm an operator and spend most of my time on excavators and a bit of time in backhoes. I like the joystick better actually just because it's the same as in the excavator where I spend all my time. Although I do know a lot of people who prefer the 4 stick.

That being said you should have just bought one that was 4 stick instead of messing with your warranty. Just my thoughts.

And that cost is not anywhere near 310,000. Lol
post #13 of 22 Old June 6th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkausch View Post

I know. We used to do our own dirt work. But now I can pay someone else to do it for cheaper than I could renting the equipment and just having one of my laborer's operate it. Crazy!

It was more of a pun.

post #14 of 22 Old June 6th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

What is the warranty? I know the John deere guys might not have the best field experience but would you not be cutting into your profits? Im sure that the Deere Guys know exactly what to do where as you guys might have to do some figuring out. IDK but as a business perspective would it not be easier to keep a low hour machine for reliability, by trading in every couple years?
post #15 of 22 Old June 6th, 2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelle15 View Post
What is the warranty? I know the John deere guys might not have the best field experience but would you not be cutting into your profits? Im sure that the Deere Guys know exactly what to do where as you guys might have to do some figuring out. IDK but as a business perspective would it not be easier to keep a low hour machine for reliability, by trading in every couple years?
Well we tried that trading in method and they wanted give us like less than 1/4 price to just sell it for double the price.
They wanted to give us 12k for a 75k tractor with 2k hours. A tractor with that many hours easily costs about 40k haha I wasn't about to lose my money, plus our equipment can have high hours and be reliable as long as you up keep them

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote:

The 310k is a model not the price, the price is around 78-83k

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottledgt View Post
I'd sell it and get a cat...and have even less levers
Haha our competitor has a cat backhoe they are smaller and cost the same.for our big one. Not enough pto power, not enough digging depth,

post #16 of 22 Old June 6th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

Weird. Our 416d works just fine. And has more hoe power than anything any case or Deere ive ran. Not sure where you get that its small either
post #17 of 22 Old June 6th, 2014, 08:06 PM
One Man Wolf Pack

Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT
I know nothing about backhoes but it begs the question, if the four stick is so much better than three, why not just buy one with the four stick to begin with?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #18 of 22 Old June 6th, 2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RedfireGT View Post
I know nothing about backhoes but it begs the question, if the four stick is so much better than three, why not just buy one with the four stick to begin with?
The thing is that here when we order ours, they say they cant make a 4 stick, that we have to order parts on our own to make it 4 stick, but if we convert it to 4 stick right away, it'll void warranty

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Weird. Our 416d works just fine. And has more hoe power than anything any case or Deere ive ran. Not sure where you get that its small either
the 416 had a little less pto power than our 310sg and less than our 310k
I guess its just brand loyalty, my dad has.always ran Deere products so I guess I'm biased. But I've seen some cats digging like crazy with nothing getting damaged, and I've seen some dig a small pool and bust hoses everywhere. I guess it also depends on the operator and how well the machine is kept. I know we degrease and pressure wash our machines every 6 months and change the fluids every 400hrs instead of 600 like the manuals say to. We baby our machines as far as maintenance, but work them hard on the job if need be

post #19 of 22 Old June 6th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast

I'm wrong. Ours is a 420. But either way. Its great. Since 01 haven't busted a hose yet. Bu give me 15 minutes on any of em,and I can do the same thing really
post #20 of 22 Old June 7th, 2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Quote:
I'm wrong. Ours is a 420. But either way. Its great. Since 01 haven't busted a hose yet. Bu give me 15 minutes on any of em,and I can do the same thing really
A 420 is great, they're the equivalent of a turbo 310sg. I wish I was like you, one time my dad was gone giving estimates and when he leaves he can count on me to work with the others 3 workers to get the job done, well I had to dig a ditch for the plumbing and it was on a 2 lever... It took me a whole day to.get used to it. I guess its also my fault for being so closed minded and only liking 4 lever though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/445474-backhoe-operators-here.html
Posted By For Type Date
Heartbeat | your hearbeats This thread Refback June 9th, 2014 12:10 PM