Dump truck/single/tandem axle guys get in here plz - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old June 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Dump truck/single/tandem axle guys get in here plz

So i'm debating with my dad, we want to.purchase another dump truck, we've found some good ones. One is a 92 Mack ch612 single axle 9spd manual with 129k miles
Another is a 95 Mack ch612 single axle with 125k miles but its an auto.
Now my dad has always used manual but i'm the one driving the truck now to the work site. We use it to haul.dirt from the pool hole and to haul the backhoe from home to the job site and back home at the end of the week. We also haul dirt from the job site to a dump site about 18-23 times once a week. But never haul dirt and the backhoe at the same time. Now my question is... Is the manual that much better or can an auto do the job an last? Because my dad swears on the manual being the best when I can get the auto for less money
Id like to hear your opinion or facts but prefer non biased opinions like my dad's who only has driven manual.

"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old June 9th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!
I would stay away from those early gen automatics. You cannot go wrong with a basic Eaton Fuller manual gearbox. That 9 speed for example is bullet proof. Your dad is right in this case.

There is a reason that automatic is less money.

post #3 of 11 Old June 9th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Administrator

get the manual

it'll be better if you decide to autocross it in the future

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old June 9th, 2014, 05:20 PM
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 cristian View Post
So i'm debating with my dad, we want to.purchase another dump truck, we've found some good ones. One is a 92 Mack ch612 single axle 9spd manual with 129k miles
Another is a 95 Mack ch612 single axle with 125k miles but its an auto.
Now my dad has always used manual but i'm the one driving the truck now to the work site. We use it to haul.dirt from the pool hole and to haul the backhoe from home to the job site and back home at the end of the week. We also haul dirt from the job site to a dump site about 18-23 times once a week. But never haul dirt and the backhoe at the same time. Now my question is... Is the manual that much better or can an auto do the job an last? Because my dad swears on the manual being the best when I can get the auto for less money
Id like to hear your opinion or facts but prefer non biased opinions like my dad's who only has driven manual.
It would help to have some specs on the trucks, because there's a lot more than one variety of transmission. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess based on application we're talking about an Eaton 9spd manual and an Allison, likely 3000/300 series transmission, probably 5 spd?

Manual is going to be more intuitive, and over the life of the vehicle, if driven well, much cheaper. Braking with heavy load will likely be easier with the manual, especially if jake brake equipped.

Automatic will perform fine, and will likely get up to speed quicker. Assuming it's a 5spd (based on application and year) it probably won't get the same cruising fuel economy. However on some jobsites the automatic makes life much easier in getting around. The one thing that can also put the automatic on even ground with the manual for braking is a retarder, but these are quite expensive if installed. A good cooling system is a must with the auto as well, especially if you're towing/hauling and definitely with a retarder. They can make LOTS of heat.

Overall I would likely pick the manual, especially if you can tell the clutch and shifter are in good condition. Allisons are nice, but they are a big headache when it comes to fixing them. The prices are absolutely outrageous as well. Manuals don't have much to them, and don't break very often. It's a clutch, fork, and TOB. There's not even synchros to worry about. An automatic has the transmission, converter, coolers, TCM and shifter, and that's not counting all the nonsense inside.

That said you don't see too many Mack CH series dump trucks, let alone single axle. Almost all I've seen are tandem, and some even had additional lift axles.
post #5 of 11 Old June 9th, 2014, 08:08 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
get the manual

2002 mustang gt - turbo'd and blown up
1980 mercury zephyr wagon - roller undergoing rust repair
1970 galaxie - 351W cruiser
1978 F150 - 4x4 400M with a few bolt ons
1999 PSD - stock
post #6 of 11 Old June 9th, 2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
It would help to have some specs on the trucks, because there's a lot more than one variety of transmission. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess based on application we're talking about an Eaton 9spd manual and an Allison, likely 3000/300 series transmission, probably 5 spd?

Manual is going to be more intuitive, and over the life of the vehicle, if driven well, much cheaper. Braking with heavy load will likely be easier with the manual, especially if jake brake equipped.

Automatic will perform fine, and will likely get up to speed quicker. Assuming it's a 5spd (based on application and year) it probably won't get the same cruising fuel economy. However on some jobsites the automatic makes life much easier in getting around. The one thing that can also put the automatic on even ground with the manual for braking is a retarder, but these are quite expensive if installed. A good cooling system is a must with the auto as well, especially if you're towing/hauling and definitely with a retarder. They can make LOTS of heat.

Overall I would likely pick the manual, especially if you can tell the clutch and shifter are in good condition. Allisons are nice, but they are a big headache when it comes to fixing them. The prices are absolutely outrageous as well. Manuals don't have much to them, and don't break very often. It's a clutch, fork, and TOB. There's not even synchros to worry about. An automatic has the transmission, converter, coolers, TCM and shifter, and that's not counting all the nonsense inside.

That said you don't see too many Mack CH series dump trucks, let alone single axle. Almost all I've seen are tandem, and some even had additional lift axles.
Over here that's all that everyone has haha
And I guess we'll just shell out the cash for a new manual dump truck. I'm just always trying to save

"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
post #7 of 11 Old June 10th, 2014, 11:52 AM

Go with the manual both of my dumps are stick and I think they are the better choice.
post #8 of 11 Old June 10th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Anandavenkatakrishnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
get the manual

I laughed out loud....again

[/CENTER]
2.3L Roush Supercharger/20" Staggered Niche Milan Wheels/H&R Coil Overs
Kooks Longtubes/Catted X/Magnaflow Competition Catback
post #9 of 11 Old June 10th, 2014, 10:09 PM
MM Fanatic

Never driven an automatic dump truck but I like the control that comes with the manual. My vote is for the manual one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

94 GT Vert

<a href="https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html"]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html">70mm Turbo Build</A>
post #10 of 11 Old June 10th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgpony View Post

I laughed out loud....again
You're*
post #11 of 11 Old June 11th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Anandavenkatakrishnan

I didn't make the meme lol

[/CENTER]
2.3L Roush Supercharger/20" Staggered Niche Milan Wheels/H&R Coil Overs
Kooks Longtubes/Catted X/Magnaflow Competition Catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page