'00 GT Build (Monica) - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old June 24th, 2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Talking '00 GT Build (Monica)

This is my project thread. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Hey everyone!

My name's Swims and I picked up my 2000 GT May of 2013. I tend to talk a lot and will most likely take a lot of pictures, just a heads up Also, this will probably be quite a slow build; I'm going into my senior year at college and spend most of my time there or at work. I also am quite poor. But I shall still venture forth! I wanted to start this thread in order to provide myself motivation and document my, hopefully successful, journey into forced induction.

So like I said May 2013 I went and picked up Monica.

She had:

Bullit wheels
5% and an eyebrow
Chin lip
Throttle body spacer (he took it off before I bought it so it's sitting in my trunk now)
Black headlights
Short throw shifter (not sure what brand, but a POS)
Shorty antenna
CAI
LED third brake light
Bassani x pipe
Cat delete
Dynomax mufflers
Mach Sound System
Drilled and slotted rotors

The guy I bought it from only had it for 8 months; he had bought it after his deployment but they had a baby on the way so it had to go. The owner before him did all the mods and there's a folder full of receipts of the work done (one of my favorite things to find in a glove box ). Eventually, I will document them. Although I haven't been able to track down short throw shifter, CAI, etc. receipts.

This was also the first manual car I've ever had (or driven).

A few pics from the ad:

I'm embarrassed to admit that all I did was put a new radio in, but I was working on getting a winter car. I'm still paying off my truck, but have been able to put a very small amount of money aside for Monica (better than nothing right?).

Some more recent pics:

My plans for this car you ask? Well I DD it throughout summer so nothing too insane (but you never know ), but after reading thread after thread after thread I see that forced induction is the way to go.

(Side note: I would like to thank everyone on this forum for providing such a wealth of information. It has been so incredibly helpful!)

Right now, I'm thinking supercharger. Most likely a Vortech. I am budget-minded in the sense that I will not spend my money pointlessly. However, I realize you get what you pay for and I'm going to do it right the first time.

Currently, I am thinking of building the platform for the s/c so that when I can afford to do it (hopefully this winter, but more likely early spring) the power can get to the ground, it can breathe, etc.

I have managed to save a little over $600. I'm thinking tb and plenum, and perhaps lower control arms and subframe connectors and a few other things (tuner?). Or perhaps there is a better route to get ready for a supercharger.

Now, if any of you brave souls have made it this far I have a humble request: should I continue saving and just go straight for a supercharger or piece together a platform for a future supercharger?

I realize there are threads about first mods (which I have read religiously) and the topic is much debated, but I would sincerely appreciate your input. I understand there is a search tool (which I use constantly) so I am not ignorant and just asking out of the blue. I think the reason I have waited so long to start modding is because I just can't make up my mind on what to do first, and what is the best, when setting up for a supercharger. Glorious reps will be bestowed to those that venture advice.

End Goal: Streetable ~400 rwhp (until I can go forged)

Thought about nitrous, but have settled on supercharger.

Did I ask a dumb question? Should I do something differently? Did I say something stupid? Do you prefer 2% or skim milk? Let me know

Last edited by Swims; July 13th, 2015 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old June 24th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

Nice looking car!
You can get a V3 and keep the larger pulley so you are around 350hp with a safe dyno tune.
Once you save enough for the forged internals you can get a smaller pulley and up the boost.
You'll also need some fuel upgrades at your goal.
If forced induction is your goal go straight for it and then make decisions on your other purchases, like suspension and whatnot.
Good luck with the build!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

BBK CAI, MAF & SHORTIES, MAC O/R H, FLOWS, STEEDA TRI AX, FRPP 3.73, MM CC PLATES & RLCA's, STEEDA BUMPSTEER & X2's, FRPP B SPRINGS & RUCA's, KONI STR.T DAMPERS, STIFFLERS MATRIX FLSFC's, COBRA STEERING RACK 17X9/10.5 SUMITOMO 275-315
post #3 of 40 Old June 24th, 2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04darkshadowgreygt View Post
Nice looking car!
You can get a V3 and keep the larger pulley so you are around 350hp with a safe dyno tune.
Once you save enough for the forged internals you can get a smaller pulley and up the boost.
You'll also need some fuel upgrades at your goal.
If forced induction is your goal go straight for it and then make decisions on your other purchases, like suspension and whatnot.
Good luck with the build!

Thanks man! I really appreciate the advice! Any secrets for hunting down a V3? Lol. Besides the usual (Ebay, Craigslist, classifieds here, SVTPerformance) and some luck lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old June 24th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swims View Post
Thanks man! I really appreciate the advice! Any secrets for hunting down a V3? Lol. Besides the usual (Ebay, Craigslist, classifieds here, SVTPerformance) and some luck lol.

Patience, watch the forums everyday and PayPal ready as they don't usually last long. Especially at the right price and good condition.

BBK CAI, MAF & SHORTIES, MAC O/R H, FLOWS, STEEDA TRI AX, FRPP 3.73, MM CC PLATES & RLCA's, STEEDA BUMPSTEER & X2's, FRPP B SPRINGS & RUCA's, KONI STR.T DAMPERS, STIFFLERS MATRIX FLSFC's, COBRA STEERING RACK 17X9/10.5 SUMITOMO 275-315
post #5 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Thank you sir! The V3 is self contained, correct?
post #6 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you sir! The V3 is self contained, correct?

Yes it is. Which is good and bad.
Good because if your motor goes you don't get any debri in the blower from a tapped line.
Bad because you have to change the lubricant in the head unit, which some people have issues with... Just in the past day or so someone stripped the bolt.
Just don't forget to change it!

post #7 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Yes it is. Which is good and bad.
Good because if your motor goes you don't get any debri in the blower from a tapped line.
Bad because you have to change the lubricant in the head unit, which some people have issues with... Just in the past day or so someone stripped the bolt.
Just don't forget to change it!

Thanks for all the info man, you've been so helpful! I know tapping the oil pan isn't the hardest thing in the world, but not having to do that with the V3 is just more motivation to buy one lol. In your opinion, should I set up an intercooler or wait until I'm looking for more boost? I was planning on intercooling, but since it's a DD and doesn't get a large amount of abuse (and I'm trying to have good head room for stock internals until forged) is it necessary? I know non-intercooled will increase my IATs, but would it be bad to wait a bit?
post #8 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 03:01 PM
aloha ke akua

Monica Lewinsky

21 & Chasing Tail At College
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
I know better than that, pimp daddy. You got a new hot one weekly.
post #9 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
if you start with low boost being non intercooled should be OK. when you crank the boost up, intercool it. I second going straight for the goal, as well as keeping an eye on the forums for parts.
post #10 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
if you start with low boost being non intercooled should be OK. when you crank the boost up, intercool it. I second going straight for the goal, as well as keeping an eye on the forums for parts.
Okay, that's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure. Do you think the V3 is worth the extra money when compared to a V1 or V2? Also, thanks for the help!
post #11 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I'm about to start a convo I really don't want to get into, but a turbo is the better route to me.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS SVT_WANNABE
MILITARY CREW:E4:ARMY

My Build Thread
Looking to buy/sell/trade Mustang parts?
Join the other 20,500 Facebook members here!
post #12 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred Snake View Post
I'm about to start a convo I really don't want to get into, but a turbo is the better route to me.
I appreciate the input! I have always thought going turbo required more fab work though.
post #13 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
I appreciate the input! I have always thought going turbo required more fab work though.
No. No cutting.................
This is where research comes in.

Turbo kits are cheaper than supercharger kits.
On3performance has a great kit. But I would recommend upgrading the turbo to their nicer one.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS SVT_WANNABE
MILITARY CREW:E4:ARMY

My Build Thread
Looking to buy/sell/trade Mustang parts?
Join the other 20,500 Facebook members here!
post #14 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:

Possibly. The on3 kit is pretty cheap but you'll need to get upgraded hardware and fuel parts. There are a few builds here that you can read up on. It's a lot of tubing and required a new k member.
The v3 is pretty simple without an inter cooler. Just make sure the head is lined up correctly or you'll eat belts or slippage. Not cool.

post #15 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Good looking car!!! I have a v2 vortech myself that i just put on this spring and some words of advice, get a intercooler, right now i do not have one and i regret it,This winter if I can afford one i will be getting a intercooler. after a few boost pulls my car feels like a fat pig because my car cuts timeing due to hot intake air temps, I have considered the on3 turbo myself but centri blowers are nice and easy to install for a first build.
post #16 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred Snake View Post
No. No cutting.................
This is where research comes in.

Turbo kits are cheaper than supercharger kits.
On3performance has a great kit. But I would recommend upgrading the turbo to their nicer one.
I've looked at their kits before, but didn't want to get a new k member. Although at this point I'm still open to anything (going to take some time to save some more money). It just seems that for my purposes, at the present, a non-ic supercharger would be ideal and then add an intercooler later. But like I said, I'm open to anything.

By the way, I read your build thread and your car is beautiful!

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Possibly. The on3 kit is pretty cheap but you'll need to get upgraded hardware and fuel parts. There are a few builds here that you can read up on. It's a lot of tubing and required a new k member.
The v3 is pretty simple without an inter cooler. Just make sure the head is lined up correctly or you'll eat belts or slippage. Not cool.

Thanks for the info! I've read a few turbo builds, but the s/c builds appeal to me more. Currently rereading 02SonicGT's build because it's pretty much exactly what I want to do lol.
post #17 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 06:21 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Also i wish i had a V3 sometimes but then i read a few threads like this https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...olts-help.html but i do still have a minor oil leak from my feed line that is a bitch... I would just get whatever you can get the best deal on weather it be a procharger vortech ect. just look for the best deal .02
post #18 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor123 View Post
Good looking car!!! I have a v2 vortech myself that i just put on this spring and some words of advice, get a intercooler, right now i do not have one and i regret it,This winter if I can afford one i will be getting a intercooler. after a few boost pulls my car feels like a fat pig because my car cuts timeing due to hot intake air temps, I have considered the on3 turbo myself but centri blowers are nice and easy to install for a first build.
Thanks man! I just sub'd to your build thread and am going to read through it now since I'm at work with nothing to do lol. And thanks for the advice! I definitely plan on getting one, but it might be later in the build (just depends on a lot of things). The relative ease of install appeals to me. In your personal experience, how difficult was it to tap the oil pan? I have been entertaining getting a V1 or V2, but that's the only thing I'm slightly apprehensive about. Judging from other threads it's not too bad, just wondering what you thought.

Sorry for the long winded response lol.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

I also just wanted to say thanks for all of the input! I've always observed how friendly and helpful the MM community is, and I'm very grateful for your time!
post #19 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 07:06 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
My build thread is pretty bad lol I did not document much of anything. MM is a verry helpfull place, I would not of been able to get my car where it is without mm. The oil pan was shitty to do, its not hard it just sucked doing because i was on my back hammering the punch. If i had to tap the oil pan again, i would invest in a quality set of punches, i bought cheap punches and thats why i think it was so shitty for me

Last edited by condor123; June 25th, 2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
post #20 of 40 Old June 25th, 2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor123 View Post
My build thread is pretty bad lol I did not document much of anything. MM is a verry helpfull place, I would not of been able to get my car where it is without mm. The oil pan was shitty to do, its not hard it just sucked doing because i was on my back hammering the punch. If i had to tap the oil pan again, i would invest in a quality set of punches, i bought cheap punches and thats why i think it was so shitty for me
I thought it was good! I felt bad that you had one thing after another to deal with lol. That balljoint failure sucks! Thanks for the tip! I'm slowly starting to piece together a list of parts.

Btw, did you get your meth injection problems sorted out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page