Reccommend me a free resume builder - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Reccommend me a free resume builder

Looking to change careers so I need a resume. Is there a free resume builder that is quick and easy with no BS gimmicks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:13 AM
Pawsitively sexy

Your fingers and microsoft word.

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

post #3 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:18 AM
DSMs are cool...

Yeah word even has templates

1973 Chevelle SS - 454...4300lbs hunting for 12's (13.1)
1993 Eagle Talon TSI: 5spd AWD Turbo. Fixing for DD fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:00 AM

I used Live Career. Made an account, then after I printed it I canceled the account. But then I recently updated my resume and just used a Word document. Doesn't need to be a perfect template, I've seen people score careers with really basic resume formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
fuck a willing possum
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
lol seriously.. who the fuck bowls sober and pays for it?
post #5 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:10 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fox2102 Send a message via MSN to Fox2102
If you can afford to hire someone to build it professionally. While I didn't go this route I understand it is a great option. I have spent hours upon hours building my resume.
post #6 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
The Aviator

The best way to build a resume is to keep it updated as you progress.

If you don't have one now, sit down, and spend a few hours on it. How much time you spend on it can change your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #7 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
I smell like beef

spell check

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall [email protected] TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq
post #8 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:59 AM
DSMs are cool...

If you don't like any templates that word offers, im sure there are plenty more to download online. In middle school and high school, they made us go on a site for wisconsin students called wiscareers. It has a portfolio editer that we would hate because it was so lame, but as I moved to highschool and college, I love the thing because you just enter your info and bam a resume is built for you

1973 Chevelle SS - 454...4300lbs hunting for 12's (13.1)
1993 Eagle Talon TSI: 5spd AWD Turbo. Fixing for DD fun
post #9 of 22 Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
The Aviator

Its really not all that hard to build a resume - don't rely on a cool looking template. A resume is basically a list of your education, experience, and achievements.

Quote:
You're going to get on a giant boat full of girls in bikinis without a girl of your own to keep you from doing whatever you want and people are telling you no?
post #10 of 22 Old September 24th, 2014, 09:53 PM
MM Fanatic

The format is not important ( unless you are applying to be a professional resume builder...in which case, you wouldn't be posting this question)....focus on the content and selling yourself.

Hey... knock a self a pro, Slick! That gray matter backlot perform us DOWN, I take TCB-in', man! Hey, you know what they say: See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em... leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em! COL' got to be! Y'know? Sheeeet.
post #11 of 22 Old September 24th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

A guy I knew who got out of the navy before me had his professionally written. I copied the format and it's been working well. For some places, format and style doesn't matter because it's just a computer that sees it. But they do eventually matter. You have to tailor your resume for the specific job.....therefore, do not submit your master resume. A good website to learn key words to include for the job posted is tagcrowd.com. since most companies use computers to scan and reduce the amount of applicants, using buzz words helps you get an interview. That's the whole point of a resume.

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #12 of 22 Old September 25th, 2014, 01:02 AM
MM Fanatic

Personally, I think format is a huge part of a professional looking resume. If you're applying for anything you would consider a career, you want your format to be on point and organized. If the employer spends more than a few seconds trying to find something on a resume, there is a good chance they aren't going to even continue looking through it.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
post #13 of 22 Old September 25th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Cum On Me Bro

Here's a link to the template I used. Mine has molded away from this a bit these days, but its a good start.

Nice and clean, good white balance, room for plenty of info for entry-mid level. I've used this basic format with great success. (I've eliminated objective, deleted second address section, merged Certs into education, activities is now organizations, no hobbies section, other skills is now "technical skills")

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Make sure everything lines up and is formatted consistently. In your experience use a combination of quantitative and qualitative achievements/duties. Don't repeat verbiage.

post #14 of 22 Old September 25th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fox2102 Send a message via MSN to Fox2102
Also don't get sucked into this 1 page resume thing. I have a 2 page resume and it has never been an issue what so ever.
post #15 of 22 Old September 25th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Mine is 1 and a half pages. But 1 page is fine

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #16 of 22 Old September 25th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Looking to change careers so I need a resume. Is there a free resume builder that is quick and easy with no BS gimmicks?
NO! Those words should never go together, ever!

The best "no BS gimmicks" resume builder you're going to find involves your fingers, a keyboard, a computer with microsoft word, and a little bit of your time. The whole point of your resume is to stand out from everyone else applying for the job. How's it going to look when you submit the same templated resume as the other 700 applicants? Make it unique and stand out. Keep the resume focused on the job you are applying for. If you use a lot of generalized lingo, it'll probably be overlooked in the scanning phase.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #17 of 22 Old September 26th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

As everyone else said, don't cheap out on doing your resume, it matters in the end. Do some Google searches for resume tip writing. Beyond.com offers a nice service that automatically reviews your resume and gives you a grade on it, plus they offer services and help. If you went to a college of any sort, e-mail them and they'll help you as well. I redesigned mine based off of what my college had listed. You can probably google that information and it'll come up under some random colleges information so you can look at what they suggest.

2000 PR GT/SFE COUPE|JLT CAI|ACCUFAB 70MM TB|PP PLENUM|MAGNAFLOW CATTED TRU-X|MAGNAFLOW PERFORMANCE EXHAUST

2010 Lincoln MKZ
post #18 of 22 Old September 26th, 2014, 09:55 AM
The Boss is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpointslow View Post
Your fingers and microsoft word.
Yup. Its best to do it yourself since you know everything about yourself, nd how your resume is constructed will tell potential employers a lot about you.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froush View Post
A guy I knew who got out of the navy before me had his professionally written. I copied the format and it's been working well. For some places, format and style doesn't matter because it's just a computer that sees it. But they do eventually matter. You have to tailor your resume for the specific job.....therefore, do not submit your master resume. A good website to learn key words to include for the job posted is tagcrowd.com. since most companies use computers to scan and reduce the amount of applicants, using buzz words helps you get an interview. That's the whole point of a resume.
Agreed. And to add to add to this, there is also a ton of key words you should not use. Those are just an important.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

I disagree on the 1 page thing. 1 page is ideal if you have limited experience. And by limited I mean even someone graduating from college with a 4 year degree and some work experience can still easily fit all of their stuff on a resume in one page. I guarantee you that if there is a bunch of applicants for the typical entry level professional job, the hiring manager is not going to read past the first page. If your important information is not front and center, it's headed to the trash. Things to not include on a resume to shorten it to one page would be address and hobbies. You do not need to put your address on a resume. They're going to assume you live somewhere anyway, and aren't living in a cardboard box. Address is not important. Hobbies are also not important either. They may ask you during the interview, but the fact that you like fly fishing and building model cars is not going to get you an interview, your past work experience and/Or education will get you the interview. Trimming the fat from a resume is just as important as creating one. There's no need to include a bunch of unnecessary stuff because it makes it look like you're trying to fill space.

Even high school. Unless you just graduated from high school and that's all you have to list for education, then don't include high school. Even if you are still in college, the hiring manager doesn't give a shit about your GPA or what you took in high school, or even where you went to high school. Especially if you graduated college already, there is no need to include your high school on a resume and it just wastes space. If you graduated from college you obviously graduated from high school, they don't need to know when and where since it doesn't matter.

Obviously if you are applying for a position of high caliber and multi page resume would be in order. But then again you're probably not going to be 1 of 200 applicants for a position like that either, and probably wouldn't be asking for advice on a car forum on how to build a resume.

Keep is to one page, make you education and work experience front and center. List your specialties and things like that. Avoid key words like Perfectionist, and shit like that. You can do a lot of reading online about how to formulate a good resume. Read those, and use one of their example templates, but type it in word, and don't feel you have to follow the template to a T

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Sorry that's hard to read. I typed it on my phone lol.
post #19 of 22 Old September 26th, 2014, 10:57 AM
The Aviator

My resume is about 2 & 1/4 pages long. And its about to get longer.

Reason being - I have a lot of corporate 'achievements' worth mentioning: project management, application design, team building, stuff etc. that employers like to see.

I think I'm going to update my resume right now and list my recent accomplishments.

Quote:
post #20 of 22 Old September 26th, 2014, 03:39 PM
The Boss is in

If you have things like that then it's okay. A lot of people have their resumes spill over into two pages because they include useless information like their high school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page