Question for the mechanics/techs of MM - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old October 6th, 2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

Question for the mechanics/techs of MM

So I picked up an application at the Toyota dealer the other day. Guy I talked to didn't seem concerned at all that I had no professional experience in automotive, so I have the idea I'll be changing a lot of oil.

The application has the question I hate most on all applications: "What pay do you expect? $____ per______" I always hate this question because I don't want to put too high and have them not hire me, but I don't want to put too low and make less than I could have.

Well upon doing research, I found out about the flat rate pay (if the job says it takes 2 hours and you're making $10 a flat rate hour you make $20 on the job regardless of whether or not it takes you half an hour or 4 hours) so now I'm even more confused as to what to put down.

Basically, what do the mechanics and techs of MM think would be appropriate to put down?

EDIT: Not sure how much it matters, but I'd like to note that this isn't what I intend on doing as a career, at least not at the moment. It's just another job to try to make ends meet AND fund my hobby lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old October 6th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Zip's half naked helper

I get paid $28 an hour, commission style. So if the book says 4.3 hours, that's what I get. Even if it takes me 2.

Keep in mind, I'm a fully certified Ford Senior Master Tech, so I'd start off with like $15 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley
I have an amazing mullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordang View Post
If Marc's car was a woman, she would be in short skirt and a G string and he would tell her to bend over whenever people walked by.
post #3 of 23 Old October 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
If you are going to be doing basic oil changes I don't think those guys are paid flat rate (quick lube type stuff).

Just write negotiable and talk about it in the next interview.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old October 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Rent Asunder!

Not a tech but for questions like that, I usually just put "open" or "negotiable." I haven't filed out a job application since I was 18 though so I don't know if that's still an acceptable answer or not.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #5 of 23 Old October 6th, 2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

Understood, but what would you expect a beginner with no certifications to start at?

Tree'd. Hadn't thought about putting open. Probably will if I can't find a better answer lol. Thanks.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #6 of 23 Old October 6th, 2014, 10:00 PM
King Trashmouth

I was making around $10 and change, as an auto body tech, no certifications. No book time or anything as it was body work at an independent shop. That was a couple years ago.

I had two friends that were Wyotech and UTI grads, respectively, and both ended up making $7.50 at the lowest rungs of the dealerships.
post #7 of 23 Old October 6th, 2014, 11:48 PM
MM Fanatic

im the oil change, tire, and brake job guy at the ford dealer here and i get $15 an hour. im taking classes to get certified at the moment.

2002 mustang gt - turbo'd and blown up
1980 mercury zephyr wagon - roller undergoing rust repair
1970 galaxie - 351W cruiser
1978 F150 - 4x4 400M with a few bolt ons
1999 PSD - stock
post #8 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 02:13 AM
DSMs are cool...

Holy balls...I got payed 8 to do tires and oil at a crap hole local shop..granted I quite and the other guy didn't get a raise until 2 years later...then quit a year after lol. I would put 10 or negotiable

1973 Chevelle SS - 454...4300lbs hunting for 12's (13.1)
1993 Eagle Talon TSI: 5spd AWD Turbo. Fixing for DD fun
post #9 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 02:20 AM
MM Official Sammich Maker

I think the lube people at our dealership make $12.50 an hour and they help us out with brakes and easy things.

We also train them for simple recalls

KASE Racing
72 Chevelle 500hp [email protected] on motor
74 Comet 500+hp and spray [email protected] on motor
99 Mustang GT bolt on's and 93 tune Sold
1995 RZS TT 6 speed Supra

post #10 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Turbo > blower

I agree with RDY. put will negotiate. then id shoot for 12.50 to 15 an hour.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #11 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I'm making 19.21 as a lube guy still in my first year... Although I'm working on trash trucks

14' GT Premuim
post #12 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 03:35 AM
SlowFiveOh

12-14$/h would be ideal IMO

2013 5.0 / Roush TVS 82mm / VMP Twin 67mm TB / ID1000's /JPC Longtubes / Kooks AB's / 1 piece aluminum DS / BMR Suspension + Strange struts/shocks
Instagram ~ @slowfiveoh
post #13 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
impecunious

Okay so when you guys say like 10-15 are you talking flat rate or regular hourly?

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #14 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

If your changing oil you should be hourly...and $15 an hour would be pretty high for an oil changer in my area but I see your from Cincinnati and that's a much different place than the small town I'm from
post #15 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
impecunious

I don't disagree, that does seem high, which is why I'm wondering if they're talking hourly or flat rate. if I could fall anywhere in the 10-15 hourly I'd be ecstatic.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #16 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 09:12 AM
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon444 View Post
Although I'm working on trash trucks
Oh god. That smell.
post #17 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

All this talk about 10 an hour and I'm over here turning down any offer that comes to less than $35 an hour. Some that come out to more. Lol. But yeah, I would right open or negotiable on there. That won't be a deal breaker there and you won't denied for putting something too high to start with

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #18 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 11:37 AM
The Boss is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ View Post
If you are going to be doing basic oil changes I don't think those guys are paid flat rate (quick lube type stuff).

Just write negotiable and talk about it in the next interview.
They do not. They get paid hourly. Lube techs do not make commission. And be glad they don't, b e cause you'd lose your ass changing oil for commission. They make 10 bucks an hour, ish.

As for that question, just put a reasonable amount. They don't look at it too hard anyway. I put 10 an hour I think for my intern position, and when I got hired they offered me more than that. Normally they have it pretty set what they are going to pay. I suppose some companies would, But most won't pay you less simply because you put on your application that you are willing to take less. However, don't cut yourself short, but also be reasonable. Some guy came in a nd filled out an application where I work. He was applying for a job on the floor as a general machine operator and I was the only one in the office, so I took his application from him and placed it on the bosses desk. Well, that question is like 3/4 of the way down the page on the first page and it caught my eye as I was setting it down. The guy put $28 an hour on there. I about shit a brick. Needless to say, he never got a call. That question is just to see if you're in the ball park. If you put something ridiculous like 28 bucks an hour for a $10 an hour job, they'll know you have too high of expectations and won't even call you. If you put 12 bucks and hour for that same job, they'll call you If they're interested and during the interview tell you it pays 10 an hour.

Don't stress that question too much. And yes, if you have no certifications, you WILL be changing oil. They cannot legally let you actually work on cars without being certified. Its a federal law. And no offense, but if you have minimal experience be glad you aren't. Like Marc said, you get paid 4 hours if it takes you 2. You also get paid 4 hours if it takes you 8, and you won't have a job long. And with minimal experience, you'd lose your ass on commission. Good techs don't become good techs by getting thrown on the floor to be a tech working for commission without going through some training with experienced techs. And with no certifications, you'll be working your way from the bottom. And if you do want to be a tech someday, there is nothing wrong with working from the bottom. Because that's what you would be doing even if you decided to waste 30 grand on Wyotech

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
I was making around $10 and change, as an auto body tech, no certifications. No book time or anything as it was body work at an independent shop. That was a couple years ago.

I had two friends that were Wyotech and UTI grads, respectively, and both ended up making $7.50 at the lowest rungs of the dealerships.
Yup. That being why those tech schools are bull shit. Youll start out at the bottom regardless. Better to just start out at the bottom with no certificate from a bull shit tech school, and not be 30 grand in the hole for it.
post #19 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
impecunious

No offense taken, trust me. I'd rather make hourly atm. It's just less complicated. Plus I have no problems changing oil.

Quote:
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
post #20 of 23 Old October 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
The Boss is in

Good deal man. Being a Tech on commision is a double edged sword that takes a lot of practice to make good money at. However, if that's what you want to do, then work towards it. In 10 years there will be a huge shortage of techs. Not as many people are entering the profession, and in 1p years, a lot of them will be retired. Also, I changed oil for a summer awhile ago, it's not a bad job at all. I'd throw 10 bucks an hour on there and not stress it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page