Winter car storage - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Pawsitively sexy

Winter car storage

Well, I've never actually stored a car for more then a few weeks, so I was wondering what steps you guys take to prep your cars for the winter.

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 11:09 AM
impecunious

Pull it up to the back of the driveway.
Turn it off.
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
post #3 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Turbo > blower

fresh oil and coolant change, top off the gas tank, disconnect the battery and slap that bitch under a car cover. voila

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Pawsitively sexy

It'll be in the garage. I have a battery maintainer too. I'll do the coolant, oil, and gas though. Any special additives?

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

post #5 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpointslow View Post
It'll be in the garage. I have a battery maintainer too. I'll do the coolant, oil, and gas though. Any special additives?
I always add Stabil to the gas on the boats, mowers, tractor, car, etc. I've never changed coolant or topped off the gas.

I actually do the opposite with the gas, I run it almost completely out and here's why. On my mower I have 2 separate tanks. For the winter I run one completely out and the other almost empty (but not quite). Next summer I run that old tank out with new gas in the other tank. When I switch over to the new tank, there is a significant power increase from fresh gas. So I run mine almost all the way empty so I don't have a bunch of bad gas next spring.

Bottom line is you're going to get a bunch of different answers. Some say fill the gas to prevent corrosion. Some say to jack it up to prevent flat spots on the tires. Some say start it every 3-4 weeks and let it get up to operating temperature. Everyone has a different way they've been doing it for years.

post #6 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Turbo > blower

I fill the tanks to prevent corrosion, and to keep water from pooling in the bottom of the tank. you won't really cause any problems by running it dry though. if you do fill it a can of stabil is a good idea.

I don't put any stupid additives in the engine I just put in fresh fluids to prevent corrosion. I disconnect the battery and store it inside but if it's in a garage on a tender that's good too.

and I don't like letting the suspension hang. it's not made for that. a flat spot on the tire will go away after a couple miles of driving.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #7 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Send a message via Yahoo to T-Lee. 30
I have stored a few of my vehicles for a year or a year+ and it was always less than a 1/4 tank of gas in there and I would personally put fuel stabilizer in there, and change the oil before and afterwards. I would also spray a bit of bug spray in the wheel wells, a bit in the trunk and some in the engine bay around the sides to try to keep spiders and ants away. Disconnect the battery so you don't have that slow drain on it.

When pulling it out of storage drive it until all of that fuel is out and then put in a fresh tank with possible a fuel additive to clean the system and injectors bc the mileage may seem to suck for the 1st tank or two coming out of storage after awhile. And of course make sure the tire pressures are good before you start driving it and like mentioned above get the oil changed depending on how long it was stored. If you have a battery maintainer then you should be good to go on the battery just check things out with a voltmeter or multimeter running(13.5at least i think) and not running(at least12.5).

-03 GT V1S trim 5psi, 3xxhp/3xxtq
-06 TBSS LS3H,cam,f.exhaust 4xxrwhp/4xxrwtq
-03 Dakota SLT Quad cab 2wd stock

Iraq and Afghanistan War Vet . Convoys and convoy security. My Wife is also a Army and Afghanistan war vet.
post #8 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

A partially full gas tank will allow moister to build inside the gas tank. I always store my stuff full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

post #9 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
so I don't have a bunch of bad gas next spring.
Id quit eating Taco Bell over the winter then if I were you
post #10 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
A partially full gas tank will allow moister to build inside the gas tank. I always store my stuff full.
I was always taught/told that also but they would never allow us to store our vehicles in those yards with more than 1/4 tank of fuel in them. There were a lot of rides being stored under those rules stateside and in Germany in the long term storage yards.

Iraq and Afghanistan War Vet . Convoys and convoy security. My Wife is also a Army and Afghanistan war vet.
post #11 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Turbo > blower

they were probably worried about people stealing gas, leaks, and other hazmat issues. they don't care much about your car, just trying to keep the insurance companies happy so they make money.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #12 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Cletus Emmett Wheelwelker

Garage
This is what I do every year.

Fill tank
Put in fuel stabilizer and let car run for a couple minutes to circulate it
Wash car and let it completely dry
Make sure tires are fully inflated
Lay down plastic sheets under car (if moisture gets in your garage)
Park tires on carpet squares or something similar
Pull battery and store inside
Place baking soda inside cabin and trunk to absorb odors
Stuff paper towel/rags/socks in tailpipes to prevent rodents from nesting
Put cover on

Optional step is to tape off the wheel wells with plastic to prevent rodents from getting inside the car.
post #13 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
they were probably worried about people stealing gas, leaks, and other hazmat issues. they don't care much about your car, just trying to keep the insurance companies happy so they make money.
Good point.

post #14 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 02:32 PM
MM Fanatic

i got a full tank of e85 that i still need to add stabilizer to.

2002 mustang gt - turbo'd and blown up
1980 mercury zephyr wagon - roller undergoing rust repair
1970 galaxie - 351W cruiser
1978 F150 - 4x4 400M with a few bolt ons
1999 PSD - stock
post #15 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Turbo > blower

does fuel stabilizer work the same for e85? I may be wrong but i've heard that e85 is much more unstable and breaks down to water and something crazy

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

after a quick google it looks like the stuff absorbs moisture. I wouldn't leave that stuff in the tank.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #16 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 02:39 PM
MM Fanatic

I wouldn't change the oil before storage, but definitely after. Other than that, a full tank is ideal to prevent moisture, along with a bottle of stabil. Pouring some HEET in when you take it out of storage isn't a bad idea.

While the oil may break down over time, it won't break down over the course of the winter enough to be useless while you drive it home from your storage location. Then it'll be nice and warm and easy to change too.

Fresh coolant is never a bad thing, especially if you live where it gets crazy cold like here in Minnesota, but if the coolant is good with a tester and less than two years old, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #17 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Turbo > blower

the thing with the coolant, that it breaks down over time and will cause the aluminum to corrode. If im gonna leave it sitting i want some fresh stuff in there.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #18 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
the thing with the coolant, that it breaks down over time and will cause the aluminum to corrode. If im gonna leave it sitting i want some fresh stuff in there.
Please go into some detail on this because it sounds like hear say passed from forum to forum as a fact. Do you have any actual information to back up this claim?

I've had the same coolant in my Jeep since I bought it (4 years ago) w/out any problems. I also checked the antifreeze bottle and I don't see a shelf life. If it would break down over time, there should be a shelf life on the bottle.

post #19 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 04:04 PM
SlowFiveOh

I park it in the garage, remove battery cables. Done.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
Please go into some detail on this because it sounds like hear say passed from forum to forum as a fact. Do you have any actual information to back up this claim?

I've had the same coolant in my Jeep since I bought it (4 years ago) w/out any problems. I also checked the antifreeze bottle and I don't see a shelf life. If it would break down over time, there should be a shelf life on the bottle.
It can become acidic over time. You could do a PH level test to get an idea.

Buddies delorean had a coolant leak under the intake manifold, coolant sat in the valley there for god knows how long and it ate the aluminum block. Little pin holes everywhere

2013 5.0 / Roush TVS 82mm / VMP Twin 67mm TB / ID1000's /JPC Longtubes / Kooks AB's / 1 piece aluminum DS / BMR Suspension + Strange struts/shocks
Instagram ~ @slowfiveoh
post #20 of 58 Old October 13th, 2014, 07:15 PM

I use Stabil and a full tank of fuel. I jack the car up and put it on stands so I don't get flat spots on the tires. I also pull the battery and bring it inside. My garage isn't heated all the time though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page