Has life caused my loss of interest in my car? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
I smell like beef

Has life caused my loss of interest in my car?

I've had my gt since 2005. There are millions like it but this one I built myself. I love the car but have had absolutely no time for it. Last november coming home from the track I made the comment to my wife that I will soon break the 20,000 mile mark. I was sitting at like 75 miles away from it. Here it is a year later and I managed a whole 59 miles of driving. 1 year, endless (to me) unrecoverable dollars sunk into a car and I drive a whole 59 miles.

We have a 10 month old so that has cut into my already limited time to enjoy the car. Not to mention the help situation at work sucks and working 6 1/2 days a week doesn't help. Cram in there "family time" and that just about does it. I shield it from inclement weather and busy parking lots to preserve its condition but to the point I don't use it for what it's meant for. My steed sits in the garage as we speak with a dead battery and I don't even care.

I know if I sell it I'll take a hickey and I will prolly later regret it.

Does anyone else experience fluctuations in their interest of their stang?

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall [email protected] TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 05:54 PM
aloha ke akua

I'd definitely keep it if you aren't really hurting for money. My car isn't even comparable to yours, but I definitely lost interest in it and cars altogether. Sometimes the other things in life make you forget about things you once loved and spent a lot of time doing. I think it's completely normal and just happens to come at different, particular times of life that we have no control over. Just get that thing out of the garage and drive it on the first sunny day you see! There's nothing wrong with taking the pony to work every now and then (assuming you don't have to drive a company vehicle).

21 & Chasing Tail At College
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
I know better than that, pimp daddy. You got a new hot one weekly.
post #3 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 06:01 PM
╚⊙ ⊙╝

Mine has moved less than 1000km in the last 2 years. It broke on me in late May and hasnt moved since. Well on its own anyway, I trailered it into storage. I cant be bothered to go look at it or fix it right now and I dont know why. I think about driving it all the time but lack the motivation to actually do anything. And then I have my roller that has sat for over a year in the same spot since the day I bought it, part of me wants to fix that up over winter.

2000 V6 - Turbo
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
1994 GT - Parting Out
1998 GT - Parting Out

1995 GT - SOLD

Insta :@Southfour6[/CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
I smell like beef

It snowed today so I imagine I am done till spring.

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall [email protected] TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq
post #5 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 06:12 PM
SleeperStang

Mine sat for 3 years because i lost interest in it. Found this site, started modding it again and love driving it now. I think with all the work you have done with it, you would regret selling it.

Laser Red Crew #6
276/296 on a pi swap and OPS1 cams

Mods in Garage
post #6 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Drive it! These cars aren't meant to be hard parked. I would lose interest too if I drove it 60 miles a year. Don't try and baby it. It's not a classic or anything. If you bang it up just fix it. Take precautions but don't take them to the extreme. But drive it so you can appreciate it.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #7 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
It is true that driving it does help. I loathe the payment on my car but when I drive it after it sits for a week I remember why I have it.
post #8 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Hans Sprungfeld

Interest in it doesn't really change. I'm always dreaming about what it will be like.

The passion for it and the actual time, that can certainly drop over time. After so many defeats it becomes difficult. There's so much time taken up by work, work around the house, the gf, other cars, there's just so very little left over at the end of the day. Couple that with the cold miserable weather and an unheated garage and motivation drops to near zero.
post #9 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 06:37 PM
MM Fanatic

Over the 2 and a half years since my son has been born, I've found myself realizing more and more that my car can't be my toy anymore. Right now, the only way I look at my car is transportation from point A to point B. It doesn't mean I'm not attached to it anymore, it just means that life happened and funds and focus are needed elsewhere. Today while driving the wife's jetta on a 3 hour trip, I had an itch to build it once I finally graduate next year and get that engineering job. Then the money side of it hit me and I wouldn't be able sleep knowing I spent over 10k to build a car that's knocking on 10 years old.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
post #10 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Zip's half naked helper

While I won't say I lost interest, I will say my plans have changed for it since January. It wasn't supposed to get driven this much. But it has.

My advise is drive it at least once a week to work, weather permitting. You'll find that spark again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narleycarley
I have an amazing mullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordang View Post
If Marc's car was a woman, she would be in short skirt and a G string and he would tell her to bend over whenever people walked by.
post #11 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:03 PM
PSN alphadong11

I don't even have a stang anymore. I would probably have to win the lottery to get back into modding when I have all the free time and money in the world. They shut KCIR drag strip down and with that it kinda killed the spirit around here. The people that could afford it just went to some decent power luxury cars and seems like the thrill is gone. At least around here.

Priories are staring me in the face and going paycheck to paycheck while trying to knock a mountain of debt down by throwing pebbles at it.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #12 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM
11.5:1 or GTFO

Only time I lose interest is when it is doing what it is right now; snowing. Because I can't do a damn thing in it. I lost interest in my old 2v, which I had bought a ton of stuff for to build it. But like I said, lost interest and decided to trade it. I got another Mustang though, so it doesn't really matter. If I were to of gotten a truck, or something of that sort then I would have regretted it.

Don't sell it. Drive it.

03 Mustang GT- Traded
2011 Premium Kona Blue 5.0: On3 Twin 60s
2006 Blue Granite Silverado 1500: Leveled, Fuels, 33s

Instagram: treysonm
post #13 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:08 PM
MM Fanatic

i did the turbo build on mine last winter and only put 400 miles on it during the summer. after busting ass all winter building it, then having constant boost leaks, clearance issues, and a blown plug it sat in the garage untouched most of the summer. im just now getting interested in it again. i just needed a break from the damn thing.

2002 mustang gt - turbo'd and blown up
1980 mercury zephyr wagon - roller undergoing rust repair
1970 galaxie - 351W cruiser
1978 F150 - 4x4 400M with a few bolt ons
1999 PSD - stock
post #14 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Feb '14 ROTM

Life can make you lose interest. I had a heartbreaking split with my ex awhile back. Didn't mod the car for 9 months. Shit happens, but youll eventually come back to it. DONT SELL IT.

504/433
post #15 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidowStang View Post
Life can make you lose interest. I had a heartbreaking split with my ex awhile back. Didn't mod the car for 9 months. Shit happens, but youll eventually come back to it. DONT SELL IT.
Weird, every time I have girl problems I turn to my car to cheer me up. After the last one that didn't work out, I decided to do a 7675 turbo build on my 2v

03 Mustang GT- Traded

post #16 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Feb '14 ROTM

What is it going to take for you to get an engine swap (forged internals)? Haha.

504/433
post #17 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:29 PM
'Murica

Garage
I have found it's not only life but everything in general as well. For example, when the economy is good and people are making more money they spend more on non essential stuff like modding. Not saying anyone here isn't financially stable, but there are many factors that to into spending extra time and money on a car.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #18 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidowStang View Post
What is it going to take for you to get an engine swap (forged internals)? Haha.
Well, the 5bro took over

But I never finished the build, bought a ton of stuff then sold it to trade my car for a 5.0. But that was a forged internal build, well was going to be. Teksid block, DSS pistons, rods, crank, MHS cams, stock heads.

03 Mustang GT- Traded

post #19 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Anna

I think that's completely normal. My car sat for nearly 5 years just last year I pulled it out fixed a bunch of problems now I can't put it away. I'd wait and hold onto it. Wait till your kid is older and then take him/her for rides.
post #20 of 74 Old November 16th, 2014, 07:54 PM

I find that my interest in my various hobbies always seem to fluctuate. Some time I'll be super into working on the car, then I'll be into skiing, then I'll be into RC, then shooting, etc. Other times I'll go months without touching or even caring about any of those hobbies. For example, I haven't shot any of my guns in the past 2-3 months and currently don't have much desire.

I always just give it time and I will eventually pick it up again. That's why I don't sell any of my old hobby stuff that I'm not currently using. I know I'll get back into it before too long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page