So been a week since some updates... really just some painting with a little bit of plumbing that I will describe at the bottom
Touching up some spackling around the trim of the staircase and other locations
If you notice, in order to get a nice smooth finish, I pulled all of the quarter round in order to smooth out the walls.
Behind the radiator on the first floor in the foyer, the trim was pushing off the wall and crapola got stuck behind it. When I pulled it, the plaster wall behind the trim literally crumbled, so I patched it (sloppy job, but it'll be hidden behind the trim) and painted. Note: I pulled the radiator, I will show how later.
Here's a sneak preview of it completely done
Upstairs done painted
Ok, so as far as removing the old steam radiators. You NEED this wrench, I just call it a pipe wrench, but there is actually a different name for it I think.
Anyway, nut (or whatever) screws on the valve, so in the picture above, think of the way to turn it (lefty loosy righty tighty) as it you were staring head on at the valve. Too loosen above, you would attach the wrench as it is above and lift up. To tighten, you would push down. As below
Keep in mind, depending on how old the house is, and if the valves have been replaced or not, you may be in for the torquing of your life. I knew they had been removed somewhat in the last 20 years, because the floors are decently redone with at least one layer of sanding done and it was done under the radiators leading me to believe the seal had been broken at least once before.
Radiator in foyer
Here is the valve probably new, from the foyer radiator.
Radiator removed from the wall so I could repair it.
Last but not least, the finish molding that goes around the top of the trim on the bottom of all of the walls.
Literally 1 single wall in the house has the original (on the left in the picture below) and the rest was replaced with this inverted quarter round (forgot the name, but in the picture on the right.) I will be replacing it all with the original, which I know for a fact is going to run me a pretty penny ($1.63 per foot) but I'm willing to pay the extra to bring the house back to the original as close as possible.
Still debating whether to replace this 1.5' of the original so it all matches or preserving this last of it for the house itself and being able to tell the story... not sure what I want to do.