Teen girl will be ordered to have chemo - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Teen girl will be ordered to have chemo

What do you guys think? On one hand I think you should, Or her mother should have the final say, but her mother is fucking nuts. She's brainwashed her daughter into her hippie ideology that she's getting poisoned. What the fuck is wrong with people? She has over an 80% survival rate if she takes it, and they said she will die without it. Yet her mother fully supports her decision not to take it and even helped her skip appointments. What is wrong with people these days? Well, she will have it now anyway. Until some liberal lawyer takes on the case pro bono and gets it overthrown.
Connecticut Teen With Curable Cancer Must Continue Chemo: Court - NBC News

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

I saw that on YB. That's fucked off.

I tell the truth. Deal with it.
post #3 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
What do you guys think? On one hand I think you should, Or her mother should have the final say, but her mother is fucking nuts. She's brainwashed her daughter into her hippie ideology that she's getting poisoned. What the fuck is wrong with people? She has over an 80% survival rate if she takes it, and they said she will die without it. Yet her mother fully supports her decision not to take it and even helped her skip appointments. What is wrong with people these days? Well, she will have it now anyway. Until some liberal lawyer takes on the case pro bono and gets it overthrown.
Connecticut Teen With Curable Cancer Must Continue Chemo: Court - NBC News

What do you guys think?
I view this the same way I do gay marriage and abortions... though I think it's wrong and immoral, I don't feel it's my right to tell them otherwise. If her and her mother don't want her to get chemo, fuck 'em. Let 'em rot and save the treatment for someone who wants it. I haven't read the article yet but I'm guessing they don't have health insurance either. Pissing away those tax dollars to cover treatment for someone who doesn't want it to begin with. I say fuck'em, let them go off and die alone and miserable. I don't like any court forcing someone to do something against their will when their will doesn't harm anyone else.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:10 PM
impecunious

I think it should be a choice regardless, but no, they're not "hippies" for thinking chemo is poisoning them, because it essentially is. My dad developed MDS (which has developed it's way into luekemia) from chemo, which complicated and got in the way of his multiple myeloma treatment, which overall is what is ultimately killing him.

In her case, I think it's dumb not to since it's her only hope, but I don't think anyone should force her to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
post #5 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

I don't think it mentions whether or not they have insurance. I kind of agree with what you said though Rdy. If they don't want it, then that's their choice. But then they're the same kind of people that would sue the state when she did die for not doing more.
post #6 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

Chemo kills cells in the body, and relies on the body to grow new, healthy cells. It's straight up communism to tell someone they HAVE to put something in their body that does this to it.

I tell the truth. Deal with it.
post #7 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:13 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Sounds like the girl has some mental issues. I don't see a problem with the state stepping in if that is the case. If she is mentally competent, she should be able to skip the treatments if she wants. Mom sounds like an idiot.
post #8 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Rent Asunder!

I hate to hear that about your dad, Royal.

My little cousin, Dean (8 years old), was diagnosed with ALL the day after Christmas. I took off work tomorrow to get some tests run to see if I'm a match for blood and marrow donor. If so, I will gladly go through the procedure if it will save him. Some people have family values, others don't.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
post #9 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Yeah I agree she should be able to choose. But they sound nuts and not in their right minds anyway. I wonder if that plays into it at all.
post #10 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
I don't think it mentions whether or not they have insurance. I kind of agree with what you said though Rdy. If they don't want it, then that's their choice. But then they're the same kind of people that would sue the state when she did die for not doing more.
She signs a waiver that waives her right to treatment, that is also signed by the doctor, with a power of attorney. Done!

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
post #11 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
I think it should be a choice regardless, but no, they're not "hippies" for thinking chemo is poisoning them, because it essentially is. My dad developed MDS (which has developed it's way into luekemia) from chemo, which complicated and got in the way of his multiple myeloma treatment, which overall is what is ultimately killing him.

In her case, I think it's dumb not to since it's her only hope, but I don't think anyone should force her to.
My buddy past away from cancer a little over a year ago. The chemo that extended his life also killed him by causing kidney failure. My wife had Breast Cancer at 34 years old. I am so thankful she didn't have to do chemo. She did have major surgery, that was bad enough.
post #12 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Administrator

when i was getting chemo at 17, i was ready to give up at times, but they wouldn't let me discontinue treatment being a minor. the hospital told my parents they had the legal right to decide whether or not to let me discontinue treatment since they were my legal guardians, but when i turned 18 i would then have the right.

my opinion is the government needs to stay out of it. chemo sucks, but dying of cancer probably does too. let the girl and her mother decide what they want to do. it'd be an interesting debate as to whether the minor or their guardian should make the final decision though

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #13 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:23 PM

I agree with BWAL if both parent and child are of sound mind. It is necessary for the government to step in for some situations, trust me. All you would have to do is got into a few homes with me and you will see many parents don't care at all about in there children or have severe mental issues. You know when you look at that young child and based upon their parents you know they don't have a shot at life. I wish I could scoop up kids like that and help them.
post #14 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
I agree with BWAL if both parent and child are of sound mind. It is necessary for the government to step in for some situations, trust me. All you would have to do is got into a few homes with me and you will see many parents don't care at all about in there children or have severe mental issues. You know when you look at that young child and based upon their parents you know they don't have a shot at life. I wish I could scoop up kids like that and help them.
I agree with your idea of an end result but disagree with the means to an end. I hate the thought of the government having any say in it whatsoever. I probably sound like a dick for this but accidents of birth happen. It sucks for the kids raised in such conditions but... it's survival of the fittest. Get with the program, get with the times, or die off. That's life.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
post #15 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:37 PM
impecunious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
I hate to hear that about your dad, Royal.

My little cousin, Dean (8 years old), was diagnosed with ALL the day after Christmas. I took off work tomorrow to get some tests run to see if I'm a match for blood and marrow donor. If so, I will gladly go through the procedure if it will save him. Some people have family values, others don't.
Good on you, man. I can't tell you how many family members were all ready to donate bone marrow for my dad, until they realized they'd have to go through the system. Then they wanted nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
post #16 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:39 PM

The only problem RDY is that the cycle continues on and the cost to taxpayers continues from generation to generation. I would actually love to see a goverment program that removes children from parents who don't take care of them and abuse them. These kids could be cared for by the government until they are adults. There's a lot of potential in these kids. I guess I have a skewed view on the situation because I see the shithole conditions and abuse of these kids first hand and then come home to my girls and treat them like gold. At minimum I would like to knock one of the buzzards out.

I have become more of a realist like you though. It's not insensative to think like that, there is no problem focusing on caring for your friends and family and not really caring about the rest. If I wasn't exposed I can honestly say I wouldn't care and over the years have started to feel more that way.
post #17 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
The Boss is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
I agree with your idea of an end result but disagree with the means to an end. I hate the thought of the government having any say in it whatsoever. I probably sound like a dick for this but accidents of birth happen. It sucks for the kids raised in such conditions but... it's survival of the fittest. Get with the program, get with the times, or die off. That's life.
When you have kids you won't have such a tough view like that. Parents really do have more to do with the ultimate attitude of the kid than you think. Yes it's true some can overcome years of abusive or bad parenting, but some never even had a fighting chance. I don't expect you to be able to look at it from a parents view, but I promise you that you will see it at least a little bit different when you have kids of your own. I too also believe you get out of life what you put into it. But some kids really do start off MUCH worse than any of us can imagine. I know exactly what Corey means by what he's saying.
post #18 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
The only problem RDY is that the cycle continues on and the cost to taxpayers continues from generation to generation. I would actually love to see a goverment program that removes children from parents who don't take care of them and abuse them. These kids could be cared for by the government until they are adults. There's a lot of potential in these kids. I guess I have a skewed view on the situation because I see the shithole conditions and abuse of these kids first hand and then come home to my girls and treat them like gold. At minimum I would like to knock one of the buzzards out.

I have become more of a realist like you though. It's not insensative to think like that, there is no problem focusing on caring for your friends and family and not really caring about the rest. If I wasn't exposed I can honestly say I wouldn't care and over the years have started to feel more that way.
I get where you're coming from and do agree with you to an extent. If there's a way to help those people, I think it should be done but the government is not the answer. If there can be an approach that doesn't involve the government, other than maybe tax incentives to charities and foster families who do it of their own free will, then I'm cool with it. Don't throw my tax dollars at it though.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
Good on you, man. I can't tell you how many family members were all ready to donate bone marrow for my dad, until they realized they'd have to go through the system. Then they wanted nothing to do with it.
Oh trust me... I've read up on the procedure. It's going to fucking suck, no doubt about it. I can't stand seeing him in that condition though, especially when he just lost his dad 2 years ago to cancer. His confidence in healing is shot because he lost his dad to the same thing. If the consequence of me going through that mess will ease his suffering and give him a better chance, I'm all for it.

Quote:
When you have kids you won't have such a tough view like that. Parents really do have more to do with the ultimate attitude of the kid than you think. Yes it's true some can overcome years of abusive or bad parenting, but some never even had a fighting chance. I don't expect you to be able to look at it from a parents view, but I promise you that you will see it at least a little bit different when you have kids of your own. I too also believe you get out of life what you put into it. But some kids really do start off MUCH worse than any of us can imagine. I know exactly what Corey means by what he's saying.
Not having kids. If I did, something would be wrong.

Just because I'm not a parent doesn't mean I haven't seen it. I'm agreeing with you guys that the kids should get help but disagree in using the government to do it. Some people never get a chance, that's true. I do feel bad for them. However, I don't feel it's my call, or the government's call, to FORCE them to do otherwise. That should not be the role of government.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
post #19 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:52 PM

Yeah that would be a good idea, maybe a network of long term foster care or private donations. I don't dwell on the stuff but when I see it I just can't imagine letting my kids even sit on some of the couches in these houses let alone live there. But a realist attitude saves a lot of problems for a person. Death is death. We all die. When my friend had cancer he had a great attitude to the end. He knew he was dying and took it like a man. The last time I saw him he actually apologized for being a bad host.

It would just suck not to even have a chance from the get go because your parents are scumbags. I love hearing about kids who come out of that environment and flourish.
post #20 of 34 Old January 8th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Yeah that would be a good idea, maybe a network of long term foster care or private donations. I don't dwell on the stuff but when I see it I just can't imagine letting my kids even sit on some of the couches in these houses let alone live there. But a realist attitude saves a lot of problems for a person. Death is death. We all die. When my friend had cancer he had a great attitude to the end. He knew he was dying and took it like a man. The last time I saw him he actually apologized for being a bad host.

It would just suck not to even have a chance from the get go because your parents are scumbags. I love hearing about kids who come out of that environment and flourish.
I would have no issues donating money to charity and foster families directly to handle it. I just don't trust the government with it.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page