Clueless College Kids Slow Budget Fox Build - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old February 14th, 2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Clueless College Kids Slow Budget Fox Build

It's a slow Saturday morning and I've been slowly buying parts for my foxbody so I thought I'd start a build thread. First I'd like to give a huge thanks to everybody who has helped me in the past and future, answering my noob questions. This car has been and will continue to be a good learning experience for me. I grew up wrenching with my dad but always on his cars. This is the first time I've been in complete control of what gets done to a car, and I've learned a lot. And now for some history.

I bought my 93 LX my senior year of high school. I'd been driving my dad's old 1959 Buick throughout high school while saving up for my own car. I didn't know what I wanted other than the fact I wanted a V8 and preferable a manual. My dad and I would find cars on craigslist and talk about them but I never followed through with anything. When I was getting closer to my senior year my dad was really pushing for me to buy a newer fuel efficient small car since I would be driving a little ways to college. I agreed with him, but deep down inside I knew that wasn't going to happen lol. Looking back, I really shouldn't have bought my Fox and should have waited until after school for a toy, but I'm young and needed that V8 so I disregarded most advice from dad regarding a car.

I worked at a lumber store in High School and one of my coworkers knew I was looking for a car and he would occasionally find something and tell me about it. The summer after my junior year, he told me his best friend had a modified mustang that he was thinking about selling. I asked what year and he said it was a 93. I'll pass. I hated the look of foxbodies. I forgot about the car for a few months until I came across a Black LX on craigslist that was in the same town as my coworkers friend. The description of the car matched exactly what my coworker told me. The car had a V8 and was also a 5 speed. I told my coworker about the ad and he told me that was the car. He said his friend was driving down that weekend and I could look at it if I wanted. I agreed.

That weekend his friend stopped by my house and took me for a ride. I was hooked. Even though I didn't like the looks of the car, it put me back in the seat and I knew there was potential with the car. I bought it the next weekend. Dad wasn't happy but I was lol

The first week I had it insured me a buddy went for a ride during lunch break at school. I got all excited and tried to show him how fast it was while leaving the parking lot. Instead of going fast, I powerslid the car out of the parking lot and smacked the curb, bent the axle and limped it home. I was pissed at myself for already tearing it up. I was so mad. But I ordered a new axle and fixed it on the drive way in the rain. It had a real loud whine after that so I decided I'd either completely rebuild the rear end or put a new one in eventually.

In the mean, time I drove it through the rest of high school and then to college. I DD'd it my first year of college and over the summer decided I needed to get something else to DD because gas was killing me and the Fox wasn't very DD friendly. It had its fair share of problems and I wanted something more turn key. I found a cheap DD on CL and parked the Fox. It sat in front of my parents house for almost a year until I decided that I either need to sell it or do something with it. My dad has been pushing me really hard to sell it, but I didn't really want to. The looks were growing on me and I was beginning to find out that a Fox is a pretty good platform to go fast and do it relativity cheap. This appealed to me so I began to start hunting CL for parts.

Being a college student my budget is tight so I'm always on CL looking for good deals. I've been collecting parts for the car for a while now, and have done a few things to it since I've owned it. My goal for the car right now is just the normal weekend warrior type deal. I don't really have a specific 1/4 mile time or HP number I'm aiming for. All I really want is to continually get a little faster with it. For now. Realistically I'd like to be mid 12's with it by next year, but I'm just playing it one day at a time. I've worked on cars but never done a full "build", so I decided this was a good car to build.

Mods already done when I bought it:

Rebuilt 302 bored .030 over
Converted to Carb - 650 DP holley
1.5" carb spacer
Performer 302 intake
Under drive pulleys
shorty hooker headers
TF stage 1 cam
~10.2:1 compression
hurst short throw shifter
o/r h pipe (unknown brand)
Flowmasters of some sort (hate)
3.73 gears

Things I've done since ownership:

SVE tubular upper and lower rear control arms
Battle boxes
Torque boxes welded
rebuilt 8.8 with 3.73, 31 spline axles and carrier
New distributor with vacuum advance, finally! That really helped MPG

Parts currently on the shelf:

GT40P heads
- Will be rebuilding and plan on minor port work
4 cylinder springs
new factory hood

Parts I'm still looking for:

Manual steering rack
4.10 gears
Holley rebuild kit
Straight passenger fender
Some other small things

I'm also planning on a power steering and A/C delete because the A/C has never worked and I don't need it. DD has A/C. Power steering is about shot and the whole system needs replaced.

The car is a huge project but I'm ok with that. Parts are plenty-full and there is always someone here to answer my noob questions. The car is rough and originally I wanted to do a type of restomod but now I'm thinking about gutting it for weight reduction and just having fun. The car is rust free as far as I can tell but it's rough, too rough to justify a restoration. Some asshole crushed in my passenger front fender in high school, and my hood came up on me going down the highway. Paint is bad and the GT ground effects are about to fall off. It's really a piece but I've put so much money into that it's not worth me selling it. And it's my first my car. All I hear coming out of the older guys mouths is that they wished they would have kept their first cars and I want to do that. And I'd probably just buy another fox someday to build so why not just start with this one?

Hopefully this summer I will be able to pull the motor and get the heads installed and do an engine bay cleaning as it needs it really bad. Also plan on resealing the whole engine as it leaks everywhere. Then install 4.10 gears and put my new hood on. Those are the things on the list for now, and I'm sure it will grow as time goes on.

Now some pictures of my old tired fox

The day I bought it

Replacing the bent axle

Fixing valley oil leak

How she sits now

Hopefully I can get somethings done to it this summer and get down to the strip and get some time slips!

I'll be updating as it progresses at an inconstant rate. I either have money or I have time. Seems like I never get both, but my internship this summer has consistent hours and they don't work weekends which should give me some time. We shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t6gt View Post
Dont even know what you're talking about. But Aladdin was always the Disney character I trusted the most, so go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old February 14th, 2015, 07:31 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
I used to be the same way about the looks of the fox bodys. Now i like them. Nice looking car, looking foward to seein what you do with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
post #3 of 49 Old February 15th, 2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
I used to be the same way about the looks of the fox bodys. Now i like them. Nice looking car, looking foward to seein what you do with it
Yeah, I think they are an acquired taste for many people.

And now you're lying saying that it's a nice looking car lol. It's rough in those pictures and all of thems are pretty old. It has been getting pretty dilapidated here recently just because of the lack of attention given to it. But thanks anyways.

I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it too, because nothing seems to go as planned, as is life haha

Quote:
Dont even know what you're talking about. But Aladdin was always the Disney character I trusted the most, so go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old February 15th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Are you going to use gt40p headers with those heads or just use different spark plug wires? Are you also going to replace the valve springs as well since the ones that come on the p heads are very weak?

Should put out a good bit of HP once you're all done with it. Everything I've read about the GT40 and P heads say you gain anywhere from 20-40hp just by using them over stock heads.

Last edited by BA Mustang; February 15th, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
post #5 of 49 Old February 15th, 2015, 09:30 PM
Her name is Tiffany.

I just saw your Pitt state shirt! I'm originally from Joplin. Small world.

AirRaid Cai, Comp Mutha Thumprs, Mac o/r Prochamber, Mac Boom Tubes, Bama Tunes
post #6 of 49 Old February 16th, 2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
Are you going to use gt40p headers with those heads or just use different spark plug wires? Are you also going to replace the valve springs as well since the ones that come on the p heads are very weak?

Should put out a good bit of HP once you're all done with it. Everything I've read about the GT40 and P heads say you gain anywhere from 20-40hp just by using them over stock heads.
I was hoping to use my hooker headers but after looking at them closely the plugs will be too close to work with. So I'll be getting the ford racing headers.

Heads will be rebuilt including valve job and new springs. If I find the time, I plan on some minor port work. I've done a fair amount of research on P head porting and my try my hand at it. There are gains even with minor work.

I'm not big in the numbers game, but I'm hoping for around 300 at the crank. I really just want a mid 12 second car. Nothing crazy. It'll never see a dyno and I plan to just tune it on the strip. I have a thread about the heads I'm rebuilding I'll link it when I get to computer.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandcampbell44 View Post
I just saw your Pitt state shirt! I'm originally from Joplin. Small world.
Cool! Small world it is!

Quote:
post #7 of 49 Old February 16th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Bandit View Post
I was hoping to use my hooker headers but after looking at them closely the plugs will be too close to work with. So I'll be getting the ford racing headers.

Heads will be rebuilt including valve job and new springs. If I find the time, I plan on some minor port work. I've done a fair amount of research on P head porting and my try my hand at it. There are gains even with minor work.

I'm not big in the numbers game, but I'm hoping for around 300 at the crank. I really just want a mid 12 second car. Nothing crazy. It'll never see a dyno and I plan to just tune it on the strip. I have a thread about the heads I'm rebuilding I'll link it when I get to computer.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Cool! Small world it is!
From what I've read you might be able to use your headers and just get plug wires with the 90 degree boot.
post #8 of 49 Old February 16th, 2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
From what I've read you might be able to use your headers and just get plug wires with the 90 degree boot.
You can get away with that with some headers but these hookers are too tight around some of the plugs, even for 90 degree boots.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Thread about head rebuild https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...d-do-them.html

Quote:
post #9 of 49 Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Finally got to start on the P heads. Went to Harbor Freight yesterday and picked up enough supplies to get me started. I got the heads disassembled and the valves and rockers cleaned up. Valves cleaned up surprisingly well but the exhaust valves' seats look pretty pitted. May have to get new ones. Anyhow, here's some pictures

Supplies (I don't know why it's upside down...)

Cleaning rockers in the solvent tank

Hopefully I'll be able to spend some time each evening in the shop working on them. I've been going back and forth on whether or not I'm going to do some minor porting and I decided I would so I got cartridge rolls to start on it. I'm also going to polish the exhaust runners and the combustion chambers just because. Hopefully those small things will make the most of these heads.

Before I do any of that though, I want to have the heads cleaned. Need to find a local shop that'll do that for me.

Quote:
post #10 of 49 Old February 24th, 2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Yup. Going to get some new exhaust valves. Spending money at every corner. Need to stop doing this...

Quote:
post #11 of 49 Old February 25th, 2015, 02:11 PM
You had one job!

Make sure before you spend all that money you get them magnafluxed to be sure they're even worth the work.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
post #12 of 49 Old February 26th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Regular

Looks like a fun foxbody build
post #13 of 49 Old February 28th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 02MustangV6e9
Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Bandit View Post
Yeah, I think they are an acquired taste for many people.

And now you're lying saying that it's a nice looking car lol. It's rough in those pictures and all of thems are pretty old. It has been getting pretty dilapidated here recently just because of the lack of attention given to it. But thanks anyways.

I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it too, because nothing seems to go as planned, as is life haha

I'm in the same boat, always hated the Foxes, then one day, I decided that I did not hate them, and I love them. Still on the fence about Notchbacks and Convertibles.

I'm also in the same boat. I'm not in college, but finally landed a job that's going to yield me a little bit of money, so I'm no longer struggling constantly. I am also moving into a house with a garage this summer, so I think I'm going to try to pick up a 5.0 fox for under $2k and turn it into a bit of a weekend warrior. I drive an '05 Explorer for a DD, so that's more or less reliable. I'm excited. Definitely going to be following this thread. Probably going to have some questions down the road as well.

Also in the same train of thought with no real HP or time goals. I honestly have no desire to go to a track and tear down it, but I can't promise that wont change with a fun car. But my goals during my build is to have a car that's more fun to drive next weekend than it was last weekend.

Good luck with this, I am excited to see how it turns out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpedo26 View Post
id give it a try, even two headed chicks need lovin
post #14 of 49 Old February 28th, 2015, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Make sure before you spend all that money you get them magnafluxed to be sure they're even worth the work.
If I could find a place to do it...

I've had no luck around here finding a machine shop. The only place that will do a valve job that's anywhere near me is O'Reillys, and I'm not so sure I trust them. I think I'm going to just end up hand lapping them and being done with the valves. I really don't want to spend much on the valves when this motor is just temporary to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedwhite View Post
Looks like a fun foxbody build
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02MustangV6e9 View Post
I'm in the same boat, always hated the Foxes, then one day, I decided that I did not hate them, and I love them. Still on the fence about Notchbacks and Convertibles.

I'm also in the same boat. I'm not in college, but finally landed a job that's going to yield me a little bit of money, so I'm no longer struggling constantly. I am also moving into a house with a garage this summer, so I think I'm going to try to pick up a 5.0 fox for under $2k and turn it into a bit of a weekend warrior. I drive an '05 Explorer for a DD, so that's more or less reliable. I'm excited. Definitely going to be following this thread. Probably going to have some questions down the road as well.

Also in the same train of thought with no real HP or time goals. I honestly have no desire to go to a track and tear down it, but I can't promise that wont change with a fun car. But my goals during my build is to have a car that's more fun to drive next weekend than it was last weekend.

Good luck with this, I am excited to see how it turns out for you.
Thanks dude. I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out as well. Hopefully it all works out.

Quote:
post #15 of 49 Old April 12th, 2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

I finally got something done on the fox today. Got my new clutch cable and fire wall adjuster installed and it is much much better. My old cable was binding very badly which made the clutch extremely heavy. So much easier to bang gears at WOT now .

And some bad news about my P head progress, or lack there of. I finally had some free time from work and home work and got them all cleaned up and was about to begin porting when i realized that I had a 1/"4 sanding arbor and an 1/8" Chuck dremel. Needless to say, I was really disappointed to get it all set up just to realize my tools weren't the right ones. Fortunately I have a friend who has a die grinder that I can use that has a 1/4 chuck. So hopefully i will be able to get started porting them soon. Figures crossed.

Quote:
post #16 of 49 Old April 12th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Who you callin' Pinhead?

Dude... I just read through your thread and pics. I can't help but notice many similarities between you, me, and our builds here.
  • Both of us are doing our first builds
    Both of our builds are on a budget
    Both of us are attending college (I'm attending Johnson County Community College)
    Both of us are in Kansas (I'm in Lawrence)
    Both of our cars are black and the bodies don't look the best (I have a 94 SN95)
    Both of us have the same Snap-On tool boxes
    Both of us constantly go on Craigslist for deals on parts
    Both of us are building weekend warriors

It is a small world indeed. Check out my build as well. 1994 Mustang Budget 302 Build.

Last edited by BrettNorton; April 13th, 2015 at 12:33 AM.
post #17 of 49 Old April 12th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Regular

Looking forward to the progress on this.

post #18 of 49 Old April 12th, 2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettNorton View Post
Dude... I just read through your thread and pics. I can't help but notice many similarities between you, me, and our builds here.
  • Both of us are doing our first builds
    Both of our builds are on a budget
    Both of us are attending college (I'm attending Johnson County Community College)
    Both of us are in Kansas (I'm in Lawrence)
    Both of our cars are black and the bodies don't look the best (I have a 94 SN95)
    Both of us have the same Snap-On tool boxes
    Both of us constantly go on Craigslist for deals on parts
    Both of us are building weekend warriors

It is a small world indeed. Check out my build as well. 1994 Mustang Budget 302 Build.
Very small world! I'm 2 hours south of you in Pittsburg. That's interesting, all the similarities haha. What are you going to school for? What year are you? And actually, that snap-on tool box is my schools lol. I haven't purchased a box yet due to the lack of space to keep it. I only have a few small carry tool boxes with basic tools. Once I get my own place I'll get a box and start filling it. As close as you are to me, we should meet up sometime. Maybe to could drive down to Mo-Kan sometime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyedcoupe View Post
Looking forward to the progress on this.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to driving it when it's done!

Quote:
post #19 of 49 Old April 12th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Who you callin' Pinhead?

I wish I could meet with ya some time. School and work are keeping me too damn busy to go anywhere outside of the Kansas City area. I'm going for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I'm only in my first year at JCCC. I'll eventually transfer to KU after I get all of my gen-eds out of the way at JCCC. Lots of math classes I have to take.

What kind of degree or certification are you going for at Pitt State?

Last edited by BrettNorton; April 12th, 2015 at 08:12 PM.
post #20 of 49 Old April 12th, 2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Why not have a Fox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettNorton View Post
I wish I could meet with ya some time. School and work are keeping me too damn busy to go anywhere outside of the Kansas City area. I'm going for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I'm only in my first year at JCCC. I'll eventually transfer to KU after I get all of my gen-eds out of the way at JCCC. Lots of math classes I have to take.

What kind of degree or certification are you going for at Pitt State?
Cool! I'm a Mechanical Engineering student too lol. Have you looked into finishing your degree here at Pittstate? My degree is technically Automotive Technology with emphasis on Mechanical engineering. So basically I'm ME that focuses on automotive designs. Its really cool. And the Pittstate automotive program is AMAZING at helping students get internships and jobs. And that's an understatement. Basically, you have to try to not get a job after you graduate. There are sooo many opportunities that are offered here that you can't graduate with out at least one job offer. I'm only a sophomore but I have an internship for this summer and an 8 month engineering internship with Ford in Detroit lined up a year in advance. They really set you up for success here. And I'm not being paid to say any of this lol. And Pittstate is cheaper than KU

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page