Moving to GA most likely - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Devotee

Moving to GA most likely

Well...my family and I are mostly likely packing up and moving from the horrible communist nazi state of MD to GA where the cost of living is half what it is here. I will miss the rain tax and paying $1800 to rent a small 3 bedroom house...NOT

I have a good job offer and am taking the weekend to decide. We will be somewhere outside of Ft. Gordon most likely, probably looking to move towards Evans, GA. I was just wondering if anyone is from the area or anything and could give me some insight about the area. I've done the research and it seems like the cost of living is half what it is here outside of Baltimore. The weather and inspection laws are also more mustang friendly.

Thoughts?

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:10 PM
PSN alphadong11

Is your mouth purty?

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #3 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Administrator

what's a rain tax?

i'm a few miles out from atlanta, but i there was a member on here a few years ago from evans and he said it's a really great place to live. almost made me want to move there lol

not sure about inspections in that county, but the weather will definitely be an improvement over MD. cost of living will be nice too. it boggles my mind when i hear some people on here talk about prices of things where they live

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Drunk On Arrival...

Sure why not, the south is the best place on planet earth. I was raised about 30 minutes from the Georgia border in Tennessee, and I wouldn't dream about living anywhere else. 8 more months until my enlistment is up and I'm kissing Colorado's sorry ass goodbye...

My Junk...
post #5 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
what's a rain tax?

i'm a few miles out from atlanta, but i there was a member on here a few years ago from evans and he said it's a really great place to live. almost made me want to move there lol

not sure about inspections in that county, but the weather will definitely be an improvement over MD. cost of living will be nice too. it boggles my mind when i hear some people on here talk about prices of things where they live
A rain tax is where the gov't taxes you when it rains! It's brilliant actually on their part. They say run off from parking lots and roads are causing pollution in the Chesapeake Bay and they want to tax everyone to fix it. Where that money actually goes, is anybodies guess.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #6 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:24 PM
PSN alphadong11

If that catches on, I will personally jump into the lake and drown to get a tax named after "Matt's dead fuck you pay me tax" name.

Fucking rain tax? They came up with that as a more plausible reasoning to tax people? Fucking ridiculous. I think you could tax crack with less scrutiny.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #7 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Drunk On Arrival...

Also Kennesaw is a nice place in North GA if you're not dead set on Evans. They have a city ordinance which requires the head of every household to own and maintain a firearm. If that don't do it for ya, I ain't sure what else will...

My Junk...
post #8 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Administrator

that rain tax shit is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver View Post
Also Kennesaw is a nice place in North GA if you're not dead set on Evans. They have a city ordinance which requires the head of every household to own and maintain a firearm. If that don't do it for ya, I ain't sure what else will...
yup, one of the lowest crime rates in the country too.

i'm right outside of kennesaw and can assure you that not only do they have one of the lowest crime rates, but also one of the lowest ugly bitch rates. that city is filled with good looking girls

nice cars too. hard not to spot atleast a bentley cruising through

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #9 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
nice cars too. hard not to spot atleast a bentley cruising through
Yep, I see this car every now and then in Marietta.

I also see the new corvettes at every other stoplight in Marietta.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #10 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Administrator

is that a huracan? i haven't seen that one, but there's a gallardo that i've seen going between hiram and PS quite a bit that's the same color

from my experience, the places around here that usually have the nicest cars are alpharetta, kennesaw, the upscale side of smyrna, rome, and obviously buckhead

oh and that speed shop that opened by pro sports on florence always has a white murcielago out front on nice days. think it might belong to the shop owner

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #11 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 07:59 PM
there's a tech section?

Send a message via AIM to xocolleenox
You are so lucky.
I cannot wait to not be here.

NUMBER 1 Official member of the "My Car Sucks And No One Likes It But Me" CLUB
post #12 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
is that a huracan? i haven't seen that one, but there's a gallardo that i've seen going between hiram and PS quite a bit that's the same color

from my experience, the places around here that usually have the nicest cars are alpharetta, kennesaw, the upscale side of smyrna, rome, and obviously buckhead

oh and that speed shop that opened by pro sports on florence always has a white murcielago out front on nice days. think it might belong to the shop owner
I believe it was a huracan.

OP, as long as you stay outside of 285, GA is a nice state to be in, but Atlanta is a zoo. I've been here for 15 years.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #13 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
You are so lucky.
I cannot wait to not be here.

Yeah I am pretty sure I am going to do it. It's going to be stressful moving out of state again(originally from PA) the land of no jobs, but I just can't see raising kids here. I don't know if I could ever even afford to buy a house here and I work two jobs and make pretty good money.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #14 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
Well...my family and I are mostly likely packing up and moving from the horrible communist nazi state of MD to GA where the cost of living is half what it is here. I will miss the rain tax and paying $1800 to rent a small 3 bedroom house...NOT

I have a good job offer and am taking the weekend to decide. We will be somewhere outside of Ft. Gordon most likely, probably looking to move towards Evans, GA. I was just wondering if anyone is from the area or anything and could give me some insight about the area. I've done the research and it seems like the cost of living is half what it is here outside of Baltimore. The weather and inspection laws are also more mustang friendly.

Thoughts?
This will be a great for you. I live in Evans. There's plenty of work in the area, and cost of living is cheap. I'm paying $800 for a 3 bedroom house.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #15 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
This will be a great for you. I live in Evans. There's plenty of work in the area, and cost of living is cheap. I'm paying $800 for a 3 bedroom house.
Nice, that sounds really good. I know you have suffered the pains of living in MD. lol

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #16 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 09:06 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

My brother in law is a sales manager at Jim Ellis Audi in Atlanta. He likes it there.
post #17 of 39 Old March 6th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Nice, that sounds really good. I know you have suffered the pains of living in MD. lol
Yep. I worked in the same field you're in and paying $1200 for a 1 bedroom apartment got really old.

You'll love the area though. There's lots of lakes around, House of Hook (Carolina Dragway) is only about 20 min away. There's lots of good food around here too. The Masters tournament draws in all kinds. There's no vehicle inspections nor emissions. A CCW is as easy as breathing, and the taxes are low. You're about 2 hours from Atlanta and 2.5 hours from the beach so you're not too far from everything.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
post #18 of 39 Old March 7th, 2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Devotee

Alright guys/gals, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go through with it. I just gotta get the details ironed out with moving expenses and find out when I can start. Also, gotta find time to drive down there and put a deposit/1st months rent on a place. It's going to be crazy for the next month or two.

Has anyone used the PODS for moving or would it be cheaper and easier to just to get a Budget/Uhaul truck? I'm moving a three bedroom house plus garage stuff. We will probably get rid of some furniture/unneeded things and make do for a bit but we still have alot of shit to move.

And while randomly google imaging stuff I came across this...lol

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #19 of 39 Old March 7th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Another plus in Georgia you can find old cars in good shape, muscle cars, trucks etc.
post #20 of 39 Old March 7th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Alright guys/gals, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go through with it. I just gotta get the details ironed out with moving expenses and find out when I can start. Also, gotta find time to drive down there and put a deposit/1st months rent on a place. It's going to be crazy for the next month or two.

Has anyone used the PODS for moving or would it be cheaper and easier to just to get a Budget/Uhaul truck? I'm moving a three bedroom house plus garage stuff. We will probably get rid of some furniture/unneeded things and make do for a bit but we still have alot of shit to move.

And while randomly google imaging stuff I came across this...lol

I'd avoid the pods. They are stupid expensive and can take several days to get to your destination. Had a buddy do that when he made a move with the Army. It took 8 days for his stuff to go just 300 miles away and one of his pods wasn't his. He'd gotten someone else's shit and lord knows where his shit was. It took anther month later before that got straightened out and he got his stuff. I've heard of other similar bad experiences. My advice, there's no safer place for your stuff than on your person... or as close as you can get it.

Hit me up when you plan to come down and look around.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page