Eaton 2v Build - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old March 13th, 2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Eaton 2v Build

Hey guys. Even though this first leg of my project is almost complete, I figured I'd still post up a build thread for anyone who's interested in reading and looking at it... Since there are a few really good Tork Tech write up's out there, I opted to make this less of a write up and more of a show and tell sort of thing. Anyways, hope you guys like the car, any questions or feedback is more than welcome!

I started work on my Torch Red 2002 GT back in August 2014 after I decided I wanted boost. But also decided I really didn't want to go the more traditional route of sticking a Vortech on my car. So after much thought I decided to call Tork Tech and order their Terminator GT kit. Which allows the M112 Eaton from the 2003-04 cobra's to be bolted to the 99-04 GT's. There were some major manufacturing delays with my kit, which I ordered in July 2014, but didn't recieve until November 2014. I stuck with the kit through all the headaches though in my quest to be different.. But on to the important stuff.

- MAC LT's
- MAC H pipe
- MAC Cat-back
- Tri-Ax SS
- Mcleod Clutch
- BBK lowering springs
- Tork Tech terminator kit
- DivisionX Stryker 340
- 39lb Bosch Injectors
- LFP dual pass HE
- Canton Intercooler Resevoir
- Billetflow 3.1 upper
- JLT RAI
- 2003 V6 hood.

Here's the car before I started tearing it down, it had 36k miles and simple bolt-ons when I purchased it back in April 2013. Since then I added a full MAC exhaust from longtubes to tips, and a McLeod SS clutch, shortly after those mods I decided I needed boost...

So early in 2014 I bought this.. came off of a 2003 cobra with 3x,xxx miles on it. I ditched the rod melting 2.76 and replaced it with a new 3.1 pulley from Billetflow and gave it an all black makeover.

This is what it transformed into after much TLC (pretty dusty from sitting, but you get the idea).

Teardown begins, started with the hard stuff. Such as mounting the heat exchanger and intercooler pump. I opted to weld custom brackets onto my heat exchanger to hold it in place.

Heat exchanger mounted and painted black, also painted the valve covers wrinkle blue while I was in a productive mood.

Got a hood from a local junkyard off of a 2003 V6 as the stock GT hood won't clear the snout on the new supercharger. Cost me a whopping 40 dollars and still needs paint.

Tork Tech Terminator kit finally arrives!

I immediately got to work the next morning after work.. Everything went smoothly as I mocked the kit up on the car. Tork Tech's kit is very nicely made and all the hardware is all top notch, quality has been no issue with their kit for me, the only gripe I had at this point was the bare metal pulley bridge. I really felt like for the price and amount of time I had to wait, they could have powder coated the pulley bridge to match the intake.

Installed NGK TR6 plugs, gapped at .030, I've never changed plugs on a 2v before and always heard horror stories of how terrible it was, but I took my time and used a torque wrench and anti-seize and it was smooth sailing.

Made a custom crossover based on another guys tork tech build with some copper fittings to replace Tork Tech's design. Turned out really nicely and looks 10x better.

Where I was at by this point. It was all coming together smoothly by this point and I was really happy with my creation so-far...

By this point I only had a few loose ends to tie together, such as the vacuum system, PCV breathers, and wait for my thermostat housing.

Took some of this slow down time to install my new MAC catback to replace my weld-in Dronemaster 40's I had previously which sounded ok with cats, but terrible without.

And after some more wrenching. The engine work was finally completed! Took me way longer than it should have. But hey it looks good to me! Only thing left at this point was a tune...

Sitting at Blankenship tuning in Shelbyville, KY.

Now this is where the headache really begins, The first time the car started for the tuner so he could put it on the dyno, the steering rack with 40k miles on it fails and splits a boot, putting power steering fluid all over my tuners shop. Weird occurance but it happens. So I buy a new rack and he installs it for me since I don't feel like towing the car back. Now the rack is fixed and again he goes to put the car on the dyno a second time, while he's warming the car up this time. The coolant crossover I made blows off and covers his shop and my clean engine bay with anti-freeze. So after going back to the drawing board and tweaking the crossover a bit. I put it back on the next week and let the car warm up, no disasters. Cool. time for a tune now, right?

Wrong. Tuesday he calls me that now the Alternator isn't charging the battery at all, 100% dead. So this Wednesday I drop off a new Alternator and this is where I stand with this whole project. Hopefully the headache is over and I will get to drive the car home sometime next week. Fingers crossed!

I will update with numbers as soon as/if they ever become available. Thanks for reading if you made it this far! and feedback is welcome.

2002 Mustang GT .... Tork Tech M112 w/ 3.1 pulley .... 416hp/427tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old March 13th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Regular

Garage
Dang! Sorry to hear about all the bad luck! ... I can't wait to see what it puts down. I have not followed anyone with the Tork Tech 2v setup so I am quite interested. Good luck with it!

Vortech v3, 3.33" Pulley, CX Racing FMIC, DIY Power Pipe, SAE Corrected: 404rwhp/397rwtq @10psi and 16* of timing
post #3 of 23 Old March 13th, 2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Thanks man! I'm hoping it makes right at 400hp and a bit more torque, it should make that easy with the pulley it has... but I'm happy with anything over N/A numbers at this point lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old March 14th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Best Buy Autotech

Nice!! really considered this route when i first got my car but ended up sticking with the bottle now going turbo.!!! Always hear great things about TT's kits. You sir have a clean car to start out with as well!!! I'll be keeping an eye on this. Good luck and hope all the kinks get worked out

03 GT - Built motor - Going turbo
Prev stock motor: Nitrous [email protected]
Motor - [email protected]
RCSB 01 Silverado - Bolt ons - DD
post #5 of 23 Old March 15th, 2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Thanks man! A cammed/sprayed bolt-on car with slicks was actually my orignal plan for the car. I just wasn't happy with the N/A power these 2v's put down without headwork. Plus my car is more street oriented anyway. So I think the Tork Tech was a better idea. Though honestly for the money I've spent on this setup, I kinda wish I'd spent a bit more and just put a Coyote in the car.... If I could go back and do it all over again, I definitely would have found a 5.0 to drop in instead of screwing with the 2v. But i'm this far now, so screw it lol... My next phase for this build will be a forged teksid shortblock with some ported factory heads, maybe a set of blower cams, and a ported eaton with a 2.76 pulley. Though I eventually want to make the jump to a Whipple or VMP TVS...

post #6 of 23 Old March 17th, 2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Well good news. New alternator is on and the car is charging the battery fine... Now Of course to the bad news. The fuel pump is dropping major pressure and hardly outputting more than a stock pump. So we're gonna pull the tank and see what the problem is exactly...
post #7 of 23 Old March 17th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Regular

Looks good how much for the kit and would a lightning supercharger work
post #8 of 23 Old March 18th, 2015, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Rob View Post
Looks good how much for the kit and would a lightning supercharger work
The Terminator kit is $2500. The Terminator kit only comes with the parts necessary to mount and drive the supercharger. Which includes the manifold, pulley bridge, crank pulley, and intercooler and the plumbing for it. Everything else you supply. I've got about $4500 total in parts including the kit. But if you shop around it could be done for much less. I bought more of my parts new than used. They also sell another kit which is more complete and comes with a magnuson blower and it starts around $4800 iirc..

No you cannot use a lightning blower. As far as I know the bolt pattern is a tad different, it also doesn't have anywhere to bolt the intercooler to the bottom like the cobra m112, and you would definitely have clearance issues since the plenum sits over the top of the blower and also breaks to the driver side instead of the passenger side like the cobra M112. Eatons are so cheap used though it wouldn't be hard to find a complete supercharger setup on Ebay or another used parts supplier. I got mine on Ebay for 450.00 and it came with the blower, plenum, and TB, plus all the nic-nacs like the boost valve, egr etc etc.

Last edited by Torched02gt; March 18th, 2015 at 07:09 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old March 18th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Regular

Damn that thing is giving you a headache. We are close if you wanna trade out and start over

06 GT bolt ons.

2006 Ford Mustang GT (Auto)
Mods: Airraid Race CAI, 93 Tune, Pypes OR/X
1/8 Mile: 8.02 at 85mph
post #10 of 23 Old March 18th, 2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

No thanks and headache is an understatement... lol. Only thing I'd be interested in would be a 11-14 5.0. I'd still rather have a new edge with a 5.0 than an s197. It's really tempting to just sell my kit and put the money towards a 5.0 still, but I want to at least drive the car how it is before I do anything crazy with it..

post #11 of 23 Old April 10th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Regular

Garage
Back from the tuner yet? Has the hood been painted yet?
post #12 of 23 Old April 21st, 2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Okay! big updates. Sorry I didn't update this more frequently, went through alot more headache. My Stryker fuel pump ended up not working out, 200 bucks later the car now has a full Walbro fuel setup with basket and all. My tuner just called me today and told me to come get the car, he said it pulls strong and it ended up making 414 hp and 425 tq on 10lbs. And no lol, the hood is still painted white. I'll be changing that soon as I can though.
5rand0n7 likes this.

post #13 of 23 Old April 24th, 2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Finally have the car back! It's a completely different animal now. I'm so than happy with the power the car has and the way the eaton delivers it. I included a pic of my dyno graph, car actually made 427 peak torque. I'm more than pleased with the numbers, was more than I expected out of this setup. Going to get the new rack aligned tomorrow morning, and then start working on a new hood arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	146729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	146737  
5rand0n7 likes this.

post #14 of 23 Old April 27th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

How comfortable did the tuner feel about 10lbs? Hope your rods hold up, I hear that's the first to go on these motors. At least the cranks have seen 700.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS SVT_WANNABE
MILITARY CREW:E4:ARMY

My Build Thread
Looking to buy/sell/trade Mustang parts?
Join the other 20,500 Facebook members here!
post #15 of 23 Old April 30th, 2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred Snake View Post
How comfortable did the tuner feel about 10lbs? Hope your rods hold up, I hear that's the first to go on these motors. At least the cranks have seen 700.
The rods are the weakpoint, yes. The general consensus seems to be 450hp is the limit on them. My tuner wouldn't have tuned it there if he didn't think it was safe though. I did ask him about it though just to be sure when he told me what it made. The car only has 40k miles on it, and I never have time to take it to the track. So it'll be fine I'm sure. My plans are to get a teksid block with TFS heads on the the stand sooner than later though.

post #16 of 23 Old May 4th, 2015, 04:38 AM
New time's coming soon!!!

Garage
Lee's a good tuner. He tuned my car last year around this time. My only gripe was he didn't really let you know what was going on with the car and what he was doing. Other than that the tune was solid. I actually had a appointment for a retune the 25th but I canceled and decided to get started tuning myself. He wanted $350 for a retune that just included upping the boost and swapping the 42s out for 60s.

My Build Thread : https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-gt-build.html

D1SC 12-13psi 391rwhp 411rwtq
post #17 of 23 Old May 4th, 2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Yeah I've never heard anything but good about Lee from everyone I know. I've put alot of miles on my car already and it definitely runs strong. So all-in-all I am pretty happy with my experience personally.

post #18 of 23 Old May 4th, 2015, 01:19 PM
New time's coming soon!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torched02gt View Post
Yeah I've never heard anything but good about Lee from everyone I know. I've put alot of miles on my car already and it definitely runs strong. So all-in-all I am pretty happy with my experience personally.
That's all that matters then, I was more than happy also just wish he would of told me what was going on . Are your from ky?

My Build Thread : https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-gt-build.html

D1SC 12-13psi 391rwhp 411rwtq
post #19 of 23 Old May 4th, 2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Eaton Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
That's all that matters then, I was more than happy also just wish he would of told me what was going on . Are your from ky?
Yep. Louisville

post #20 of 23 Old May 5th, 2015, 01:24 AM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Post some vids!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page