Twin turbo billet rod stroker 4V build for my '01 GT - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old April 7th, 2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Twin turbo billet rod stroker 4V build for my '01 GT

Figured I'm finally making enough progress to create a thread, just to keep track of everything. It's not going to fly by like some builds out there. I don't make enough money to rush it.

I'll do a quick run down on the vehicle in question. I've owned this car since 2010, and have been all over the place with what I want to do with it. At first I was going to leave it "basically" stock. The normal stuff, exhaust and such. Already had 3.73 gears installed. In 2011, the TR-3650 took a poop. I purchased the built T56 out of C MY 4D's Cobra. At that point, having the trans and clutch setup for gobs of power, I figured I should at least do a bolt on power adder setup. I found a Vortech V1 S-trim kit locally and snatched it up. Right away, I started going back and forth with myself, annoyed that the On3 single turbo guys were making a safe 400-420 rwhp with gobs of torque, upwards of 500 rwtq. Never installed the Vortech, and knew I had to eventually ponder the turbo route.

Never did anything too major with the car from there on aside from a new exhaust setup, a couple suspension tidbits, new PI manifold. I was constantly battling myself between which power adder to use, whether to go 2V, 3V, or 4V. In the end, the CFM per dollar of factory 4V heads has won my vote this go-around. I love the ol' 2V engines however, so I've since bought another GT. Can't decide, buy 'em all.

Back on track. The foundation is a Teksid block. I originally was going to do B heads, a factory forged crank, stock stroke, and normal forged H-beam rods. Again, battled myself there. I knew I would want massive power out of this build, along with the best possible compromise with street manners. So, along came tumble port '01 C Heads, Mach 1 intake, a Kellogg stroker crank, Oliver billet rods, order is in for custom JE pistons, etc. The additional 17 cubic inches, and increased mid range curve of the C heads, should make me a happy camper.

Pulled this Teksid a while ago, only bought it to have as a spare, but it ended up being in very good shape, even considering the very high mileage on it. Every bore came out at 3.551 or 3.552 on the micrometer with the torque plate on.

YN Silver '01 GT - Main money pit
Black '01 GT - Racecar
'92 E36 BMW 325i - $500 daily driver
'86 Camaro - Sitting in a shed torn apart
'13 Kawasaki ZX-6R - Sold, too fast, want a Harley
'11 E92 BMW 328i xDrive Coupe 6MT - Daily luxury

Last edited by Kevin C; November 22nd, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 5th, 2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Pistons arrived. The wrist pins are like solid chunks of badassness.

Black '01 GT - Racecar

Last edited by Kevin C; November 22nd, 2015 at 01:55 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old June 6th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

Are you doing any work to the heads? I've heard mixed reviews on the 99-01 heads with lots of boost. I've contemplated swapping to newer production heads when I up the boost. That being said at 14#'s my car makes about what every other ported eaton cobra makes.

Everything looks spot on. What cc Pistons? Might have missed it.

00 GT, 4v and Heaton Swap, T56 Mag Build thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...aton-swap.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old June 6th, 2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
They're -10.6, advertised at 9.5:1 static. I'm still deciding on what I'm going to do for kill mode. E85, a VP fuel of some sort, or water/meth.

The '01 heads should be more than fine. I'm considering having Fox Lake do some porting on them, so I'll see what they think about thread inserts. I'm convinced that spark plug blow outs are a result of people just not having the correct "feel" for snugging up the plugs, and this resulting in excessive thread wear. I can't see 8 psi of boost and 400 rwhp, or 38 psi of boost and 1,200+ rwhp making a difference towards blowing it out. However, it is something I've pondered, and we'll see what the experts think. If an engine is going to spit out a plug, it won't make a difference if it has 4 threads or 9.

As far as the build, everything is at the machine shop and will be getting balanced and assembled very soon here. I've been slacking with buying parts, but I have the main studs, main cap side bolts on the way. I just need the rod and main bearings. Been trying to make a deal on a newer BMW 328i xDrive as my new daily driver, so that has consumed a good amount of my spare time.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #5 of 11 Old June 11th, 2015, 02:37 AM
Enthusiast

I was referring to the design of the intake ports and how they act with high boost levels.
I think the spark plugs are really a mut point. There are a lot of 4.6's that have no issues. I to think its more to do with install and neglect then an extremely poor design, which don't get me wrong is terrible, but it is not an overly large issue.

00 GT, 4v and Heaton Swap, T56 Mag Build thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...aton-swap.html

post #6 of 11 Old June 11th, 2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Ah, sorry for the confusion. Didn't realize you were referring to actual performance. I see it this way - the B heads off to the side of the block, C heads, rods, crank, etc, I was going to use them, as-is aside from stainless valves and springs. So, this is a massive upgrade. I think the early C heads will treat me extremely well if ported a bit. Should exceed stock '03 flow numbers with relative ease.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #7 of 11 Old June 26th, 2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Progress is slow, but steady. I finally bought King HP main and rod bearings, so the short block parts list is essentially complete. I've just been very busy, both time and money-wise. Not a ton to spare of either. Two days before my last post I bought a new daily driver that I won't be tempted to modify. A loaded up E92 BMW 328i xDrive. Went for it for the all wheel drive. Tired of almost dying in even 1/4" of slush in the Mustangs. I specifically stayed away from a 335i, or the next model year 3 series which switched over to the turbo 4 cylinder. I'd want to do a tune, intake, and exhaust so badly. Then romp on it. Then need a clutch, with the power gains possible on the factory turbocharged engines. Then need a trans. Then need a bigger turbo.

Had to track one down with a man pedal.

Black '01 GT - Racecar

Last edited by Kevin C; November 22nd, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old September 28th, 2015, 04:13 AM

Im wanting to do this this exact build but maybe with a navi block lol how far have u gotten on it now ?
post #9 of 11 Old September 28th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
Progress is slow, but steady. I finally bought King HP main and rod bearings, so the short block parts list is essentially complete. I've just been very busy, both time and money-wise. Not a ton to spare of either. Two days before my last post I bought a new daily driver that I won't be tempted to modify. A loaded up E92 BMW 328i xDrive. Went for it for the all wheel drive. Tired of almost dying in even 1/4" of slush in the Mustangs. I specifically stayed away from a 335i, or the next model year 3 series which switched over to the turbo 4 cylinder. I'd want to do a tune, intake, and exhaust so badly. Then romp on it. Then need a clutch, with the power gains possible on the factory turbocharged engines. Then need a trans. Then need a bigger turbo. Etc.

Had to track one down with a man pedal. As I was in the finance room, behind closed doors, signing the paperwork, a guy walked in after driving down from Massachusetts to buy that car, due to the 6-speed. There was a lot of cursing when he found out it was gone a few minutes prior.

In the mean time, I also bought a Vortech V1 S-trim for my other GT. It's fairly high mileage, has an automatic, stock 3.27s. Just full exhaust, intake, tune. So, it needs a little more pep to it without exceeding 5-6 psi. In shipping now. Need to buy an intercooler, bracket, injectors, oil lines, maf, some other odds and ends. Can't wait until two other whirley-do's are on the way, the exhaust-driven kind with a 62mm compressor inducer.

Annnnnndddd shipped!

I'll be sure to post updates and pictures once everything is balanced and assembled. Then it's onto valve train parts.
That shift knob looked familiar haha. I just got a 335i. These cars are deams to DD compared to the mustang. Mustang is still more fun though.

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #10 of 11 Old September 28th, 2015, 05:29 PM

I am extremely jealous. Good luck with your build.
post #11 of 11 Old October 9th, 2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgst View Post
That shift knob looked familiar haha. I just got a 335i. These cars are deams to DD compared to the mustang. Mustang is still more fun though.
Oh yeah. Sometimes I do wish I had opted for the power of a 335i since it was in my price range, but I had to be civil. Like mentioned, I'd have dumped a lot of money into it and made it fairly unreliable in comparison to a bone stock 328i. I test drove a 335is M Sport that was a little out of my price range, wanted almost 40k used, but let me tell you, that 7-speed DCT, holy crap. Every bit as enjoyable as a manual. I do also have an old E36 325i sedan with a 5-speed that I could head stud, gasket, and single turbo. Have a reliable 350-400 rwhp on an old beater. Now that car is super fun as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigh4575 View Post
I am extremely jealous. Good luck with your build.
Never be jealous of someone who is blowing money. I've been taking a break from it lately. I finally found myself a decent girlfriend back in August, and she has changed my outlook a lot. She loves all the cars, especially the two Mustangs, and can't wait for this build to eventually be done, but it just had to be put under control. There were just so many thousands of dollars going out that it's a little out of hand. I tossed 5k into an online high yield savings account that I won't touch, and I'll let that snowball, to regain some stability. If I had gone for the turbos, all hot and cold side equipment, custom cams, all the other valvetrain stuff this year, I'd be broke with credit cards maxed out.

Little by little, I'll continue eventually.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page