Radar Detectors - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
AR Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: AR
Posts: 1,216
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Radar Detectors

I am in the market for one and wanted people's input on what they use or have used and if they would recommend it or not. My boss had a Valentine V1 and said it worked good, but he use's the iRadar now with no complaints. I don't mind spending the money on a good unit just don't want to purchase one I will regret.
AR Stang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 04:32 PM
MM Fanatic
 
Woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 4,562
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
I am in the market for one and wanted people's input on what they use or have used and if they would recommend it or not. My boss had a Valentine V1 and said it worked good, but he use's the iRadar now with no complaints. I don't mind spending the money on a good unit just don't want to purchase one I will regret.
Useless.

If you're going to speed, speed. Nothing gives you away faster than slamming on your brakes once that detector lights up.

I generally keep my car within 5 over and I've yet to get a ticket. Don't be a douche about it, don't weave in and out of traffic, stay out of the left lane unless passing, and don't speed in neighborhoods or on city streets. If it's raining/snowing/foggy, drive the speed limit or lower, and watch for plain black impalas and chargers. We have a bunch of unmarked explorers up here too, but the extra LED's around the license plate give them away as well as the illegal super dark tint.

I wouldn't waste my money on a radar detector. How fast do you really want to go anyway? Do the math on any given distance. Say you're doing 75mph on a 150 mile trip. If the speed limit is 70, that saves you less than two minutes. Doing 80 saves you 10 minutes over doing 70, but that's not that much time. If you're going a much shorter distance, say 15 miles, you're going to spend 13 minutes at 70, 12 at 75, and 11 minutes at 80... Not enough difference to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Woodman is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 58
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Slam your brakes on? So what. Did the cop lock on yet? Does he know how fast? My radar detector has saved me so many times I can't even count.

If you get hit with laser, you'll be notified, but it's too late at that point since it is instant.

My only gripe now - at times the radar detector is useless on the highway because new cars are shooting short range radar for accident avoidance/adaptive cruise control.

"Is that a cop???" "ohhh just a new Yukon".
ZacUSNYR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Made in U.S.A.
 
Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,435
                     
iTrader: 12 reviews
Escort/Passport 9500ix over the V1 all day long. We have both the 9500ix and Valentine V1. I use the Passport 9500ix in my truck but the Valentine V1 has ended up in the drawer because of false alerts. Valentine needs to release a new radar detector this decade...
Nasty is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 06:16 PM
.
 
Mach1dmb!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,918
             
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Useless.

If you're going to speed, speed. Nothing gives you away faster than slamming on your brakes once that detector lights up.

I generally keep my car within 5 over and I've yet to get a ticket. Don't be a douche about it, don't weave in and out of traffic, stay out of the left lane unless passing, and don't speed in neighborhoods or on city streets. If it's raining/snowing/foggy, drive the speed limit or lower, and watch for plain black impalas and chargers. We have a bunch of unmarked explorers up here too, but the extra LED's around the license plate give them away as well as the illegal super dark tint.

I wouldn't waste my money on a radar detector. How fast do you really want to go anyway? Do the math on any given distance. Say you're doing 75mph on a 150 mile trip. If the speed limit is 70, that saves you less than two minutes. Doing 80 saves you 10 minutes over doing 70, but that's not that much time. If you're going a much shorter distance, say 15 miles, you're going to spend 13 minutes at 70, 12 at 75, and 11 minutes at 80... Not enough difference to worry about.
Speeding is not about getting somewhere faster, its about having fun with your car. But yea, radar detectors don't work on winding roads, and a lot of cops only use RADAR after a visual observation of speeding, so its too late to slow down when your detector goes off. I get people all the time with them, and I will give them a summons when I would normally give them a break, just because they failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
fuck a willing possum
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
lol seriously.. who the fuck bowls sober and pays for it?
Mach1dmb! is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 08:20 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
 
boattlebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: palmyra ny
Posts: 8,813
   
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
I use a belatronics. Ill get false flags from strong securoty systems, but other then that its a nice budget "beginer level" radar detector. I like it. I keep mine in highway mode, it gives me more false flags, but it helps me determin when cops are around. Its saved my ass more then once. But the cops up here drive around with them on all the time so i normaly get a decent reaction time depending on how fast im goin, i can normaly get within the 5 over area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
boattlebot is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 08:28 PM
'Murica
 
jdmpwr07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,545
             
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
I have a valentine one hardwired. Here's my input. A radar detector is only as good as you know how and what it does and it's limitations.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
jdmpwr07 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 08:42 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
 
boattlebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: palmyra ny
Posts: 8,813
   
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmpwr07 View Post
I have a valentine one hardwired. Here's my input. A radar detector is only as good as you know how and what it does and it's limitations.
How did you hard wire it? Id love to do that to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
boattlebot is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 08:45 PM
'Murica
 
jdmpwr07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,545
             
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
How did you hard wire it? Id love to do that to mine.
Fuse tap. I had the same in the Mustang from the footwell. You want to find one that's off when car is off and on once you turn on the car.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
jdmpwr07 is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 09:02 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
 
boattlebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: palmyra ny
Posts: 8,813
   
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmpwr07 View Post
Fuse tap. I had the same in the Mustang from the footwell. You want to find one that's off when car is off and on once you turn on the car.
So you just spliced the power wire into the fuse box? the power wire i have is the cig lighter one and i dont know if i should cut it to hard wire it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
boattlebot is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
foxfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,462
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
You don't need a radar reading to get a speeding conviction, just saying.
foxfive is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 09:34 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
 
boattlebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: palmyra ny
Posts: 8,813
   
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
You don't need a radar reading to get a speeding conviction, just saying.
How do you normaly confirm speeding then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
boattlebot is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 09:46 PM
MM Fanatic
 
Woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 4,562
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
How do you normaly confirm speeding then?
Many states take the "calibrated eyeball" approach. Officer says you're going x, you're going x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Woodman is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 09:54 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
 
boattlebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: palmyra ny
Posts: 8,813
   
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Many states take the "calibrated eyeball" approach. Officer says you're going x, you're going x.
Figured. I dont like that tho, its real easy for a cop that dosent like you to screw you over that way. But i doubt its not changing anytime soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
boattlebot is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 10:09 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
foxfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,462
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Anybody who has driven can estimate speed. Case and point the millions of speeding vehicle complaints from citizens with no formal speed enforcement training. If a car is doing 65 in a 40 you can tell. You don't have to allege a certain speed. There is a basic rule speed, or speed too fast for the current conditions, disorderly conduct, reckless driving, negligent driving.......there is more then one way to skin a cat. If we are going to dismiss an officers eye estimation of speed then let's ignore all the speeding vehicle complaints made by citizens, that would save me a whole bunch of work.

Patrol vehicle speedos are calibrated so you can pace vehicles going in the same direction, hell they use airplanes to measure distance and how long it takes you to travel from point A to B to generate a speed. You can measure skid marks in a crash to get a speed etc.

In the end you can be convicted of speeding without the backup of a radar unit. If an officer is before a Judge a lot and has a high level of credibility it's going to be a done deal.
foxfive is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 10:39 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
 
boattlebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: palmyra ny
Posts: 8,813
   
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
Anybody who has driven can estimate speed. Case and point the millions of speeding vehicle complaints from citizens with no formal speed enforcement training. If a car is doing 65 in a 40 you can tell. You don't have to allege a certain speed. There is a basic rule speed, or speed too fast for the current conditions, disorderly conduct, reckless driving, negligent driving.......there is more then one way to skin a cat. If we are going to dismiss an officers eye estimation of speed then let's ignore all the speeding vehicle complaints made by citizens, that would save me a whole bunch of work.

Patrol vehicle speedos are calibrated so you can pace vehicles going in the same direction, hell they use airplanes to measure distance and how long it takes you to travel from point A to B to generate a speed. You can measure skid marks in a crash to get a speed etc.

In the end you can be convicted of speeding without the backup of a radar unit. If an officer is before a Judge a lot and has a high level of credibility it's going to be a done deal.
I underatand that, and im not saying its wrong, im just saying a cop can screw you if he dont like you. Also note, im not saying you would do that. (Read as please dont give me any tickets i finaly have a clean license)
But also ive been fu ked over by cops that didnt like me, so due to me experiances ill always lean towrds not totaly trusting officers accounting of incedents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
boattlebot is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
foxfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,462
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
I don't write a lot of speeding tickets unless it is something stupid. I will use speed to stop but I'm looking for drugs, DUI, Suspended Operators, Warrants etc. I give out a bunch of warnings, I wasn't always that way as a new officer though. It takes some time to develop discretion on the road.
Nasty, Greywolf and boattlebot like this.
foxfive is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 10:53 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
 
boattlebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: palmyra ny
Posts: 8,813
   
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Cops back in pa loved to pull me for exhuast. Then do a whole search of the car. Validate my insurence. Run my license. And generaly put me through the wringer. I never inderstood it. Its also funny becuase that car was the quitest car ive ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
boattlebot is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 11:12 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
foxfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,462
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
There are 4 ways we take stuff from cars in my area. 1. Consent Search. 2. Plain View. 3. Inventory Record(Towing From Public Way). 4. Search Warrant. I know I have had to let drugs drive away in vehicles many times because I just didn't have enough to go on.
foxfive is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old May 20th, 2015, 11:20 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
 
boattlebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: palmyra ny
Posts: 8,813
   
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
There are 4 ways we take stuff from cars in my area. 1. Consent Search. 2. Plain View. 3. Inventory Record(Towing From Public Way). 4. Search Warrant. I know I have had to let drugs drive away in vehicles many times because I just didn't have enough to go on.
I never had anythin in plain view, my cars been searched twice for the towing one once for a warrent, and 1 becuase cop was a dick and sited probable cuase. I got him yelled at by a judge on that one tho and that made me happy.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

All of that by only 2 difrent officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
boattlebot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome