Tools - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Tools

Just wondering what tools everyone uses/has.

I need a drill for around the house stuff and started looking at craftsman tools and saw a combo for an impact driver and drill for 150$.
I don't expect much for the impact driver but would be nice to speed up working on my car.
I will need a drill for my panhard bar install and was wondering if this combo is worth my money.

Here is what i'm considering.
Sears.com

2000 GT
Mods: BBK CAI, Typhoon Intake Manifold, PP throttle body/Plenum, Underdrive pulleys, Weight reduction, 3.73, J&M UCA, MM LCA, MGW shifter, Pypes M80, UPR O/R X Pipe, BBK spring isloators, MM pinion snuubber,AC delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:37 PM
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Garage
For a drill and impact I have snapon. I love them. But it also retails over a grand. (It was a combo) I have alot of crapsmen stuff. Thiers hand tools rarely let me down, and the silver sockets put up with so much abuse I'm surprised I haven't broken more then 2. (They have withstood being used on my snap on air impact at full blast) but I can't speak to well for their electric stuff. But I do know their air chucks that have a gauge built in, suck cock. I've had 2 brake out the box and I got one use out of the 3rd before I bit the bullet and bought a blue point (snapon made in china) digital air Chuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
boattlebot knows what's up
post #3 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:28 PM
impecunious

I use Craftsman and will continue to until they go out of business or snap on brings their prices into this universe.

I feel like that deal is pretty good though OP because I was at sears the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw that impact driver alone for 100 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
I use Craftsman and will continue to until they go out of business or snap on brings their prices into this universe.

I feel like that deal is pretty good though OP because I was at sears the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw that impact driver alone for 100 bucks.
Yeah I was looking at a hammer drill that was 120$ then looked online and saw this. Don't have any power tools at the moment and don't have money or room for air tools.
Anyone else have an opinion?

2000 GT
Mods: BBK CAI, Typhoon Intake Manifold, PP throttle body/Plenum, Underdrive pulleys, Weight reduction, 3.73, J&M UCA, MM LCA, MGW shifter, Pypes M80, UPR O/R X Pipe, BBK spring isloators, MM pinion snuubber,AC delete
post #5 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:00 PM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

Don't buy craftsman Chinese junk, especially the electronics, like the impact you're talking about.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Oh, and I have a toolbox full of craftsman stuff....real craftsman, and not the junk they sell since K mart bought them and outsourced them to China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

post #6 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
Don't buy craftsman Chinese junk, especially the electronics, like the impact you're talking about.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Oh, and I have a toolbox full of craftsman stuff....real craftsman, and not the junk they sell since K mart bought them and outsourced them to China.
Are there any budget power tools that you would recommend then?

2000 GT
post #7 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:47 PM
PSN alphadong11

Rigid seems pretty solid.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #8 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:12 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

For cordless tools, Milwaukee and DeWalt are top notch.

This would be a great kit in the $150 range.
DEWALT 20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit (2-Tool)-DCK240C2 - The Home Depot

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #9 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:31 PM
Turbo Maniac

Harbor freight is tough to beat for tools that see only occasional use. Make sure to get a 20% off coupon available from multiple sources.

Coast 302 Stroker & Stuff

707 HP 651 TQ 13 PSI
post #10 of 23 Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:41 PM
MM Fanatic

I have a rigid 18v li-ion impact/ drill combo that I bought for that exact purpose. Light/medium carpentry stuff around the house. Less than $200 bucks and comes with the drill, impact, charger, and 2 batteries. All with a lifetime warranty. Including the batteries. It's a 1/4" impact so it's small and I put a 3/8ths adapter on it and was able break all but 3 of my lugs loose on my wheels and it wasnt a 100% fresh battery. Those 3 were most likely over tightened as my torque wrench was sent back to the manufacturer. It doesn't have the power that a 1/2" snap on gun or Milwaukee gun will have, but it gets the job done.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/b5hobsons4/2006%20Mustang%20GT/10da490b-40e7-4152-a493-50c169a655b1_zpsed967b1f.jpg
Mac Long Tubes | O/R Prochamber | Bassani Race Axlebacks | Hurst | Bama 93 | 4.10's | K Springs | Koni's
post #11 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 12:06 AM
DSMs are cool...

Milwaukee is a good power tool company..not just sayin' it because i'm from nearby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post

This. I can't fucking stand craftsman. It is such a joke. My dad has a few old craftsman tools but it would be nice if he didn't loose 95% of the good old ones. I use their 256 or something piece tool set and hate every minute of it. I don't mind the sockets, but I have like 4 broken ones from the set and had to buy a different ratchet because I can't stand how those shitty ones are. Had to warranty a less than 1 yr old torque wrench too..oh and broke their snap ring pliers..

That said, I wouldn't buy anything electric from them.

oh and fuck their tool boxes..More flimsy than 69 looking at LS stuffed engine bays.

1973 Chevelle SS - 454...4300lbs hunting for 12's (13.1)
1993 Eagle Talon TSI: 5spd AWD Turbo. Fixing for DD fun
post #12 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 12:01 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
My tools are mostly a mix of craftman and harbor freight.
The harbor freight stuff typically isn't any worse than craftsman and if you break it, there is a lifetime warranty.

For power tools I wouldn't buy harbor freight though. The impact I use is air, but it is an Ingersol-Rand. Nice piece.
Maybe look into makita or hitachi for battery impact/drill?

Turbo Build Thread
post #13 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 12:59 PM
impecunious

To be fair I haven't bought any new craftsman tools since the whole kmart thing. Has their quality actually gone down or is everyone just assuming they're Chinese junk now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I wish I was Royal96
Modular Parts For Sale
No, I'm not doing an sbf swap.
post #14 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Turbo > blower

my craftsman ratchet set is still going strong after several years of abuse. but that's really all the tools I personally own.

We have nothing but Snap-on tools at work and I trust them very well
boattlebot likes this.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #15 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 01:15 PM
MM Fanatic

My craftsman tools have never let me down. I use them every weekend and my "chrome impact sockets" have never let me down either. Hell I've broken less craftsman tools (1) than a friend of mine who only uses snapon.

94 GT Vert

<a href="https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html"]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html">70mm Turbo Build</A>
post #16 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Regular

The ridgid looks solid may pick it up. Do you guys think I would be able to drill through my cars frame for the panhard bar installation with it?

2000 GT
post #17 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal96 View Post
To be fair I haven't bought any new craftsman tools since the whole kmart thing. Has their quality actually gone down or is everyone just assuming they're Chinese junk now?
They really are that bad. I have broken multiple sockets from them that they were purchased in the past year. My dad's old set he left before he died is still going strong though. I have had better luck with duralast stuff than craftsman now and the duralast stuff sucks too.

I should add my friend bought a 1/2" drive ratchet and it broke first use. He exchanged it and in less than a week it broke too. The stuff is just not worth the effort unless you have a sears within a couple minute drive.
post #18 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Turbo > blower

When did the whole K mart thing go down? I bought my kit in 2012 and I've NEVER broken a socket. I abuse the fuck out of them too. Hammer on them, use a 3 foot cheater bar, the works

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #19 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
When did the whole K mart thing go down? I bought my kit in 2012 and I've NEVER broken a socket. I abuse the fuck out of them too. Hammer on them, use a 3 foot cheater bar, the works
I wanna say they merged in the early to mid 2000s but I never had an issue with hand tools from them until about two years ago.
post #20 of 23 Old July 4th, 2015, 05:21 PM
PSN alphadong11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftinGT View Post
The ridgid looks solid may pick it up. Do you guys think I would be able to drill through my cars frame for the panhard bar installation with it?
Yup. Do not use drill bits with the impact though. Unless you want broken drill bits.

Get some high quality bits and use a drop of oil where you are drilling.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page