Shotgun- 1 Drone- 0 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Pawsitively sexy

Shotgun- 1 Drone- 0

Ky. man shoots drone down, faces two felony charges

If it turns out that the drone was hovering over that guys property then I think he had every right to shoot that thing down.

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 04:35 AM
Zip's Supervisor

Send a message via AIM to Rhythm Stick Send a message via MSN to Rhythm Stick
272 feet seems a little high to take it down with a shotgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I has the sex with your dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1dmb! View Post
I can't imagine trying to run a man over in a car wash, but this is Burton were talking about.

post #3 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Pawsitively sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm Stick View Post
272 feet seems a little high to take it down with a shotgun.
Especially when you consider it was #8 birdshot. At 272 feet? LOL

2012 CTS-V

Not stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 09:10 AM

As an avid drone pilot, this isn't really surprising. There is a HUGE grey area on if people own the airspace above their property. Even if the drone was hovering 10' off the ground, he's not on anyone's property because people don't own airspace above their property. For people in the RC community, this is a large area that has failed to be addressed by the government for a long time.

That said, if i had a drone flying over my property I would let it go. If I had a drone loitering around my property and flying at 10' looking around, I would also shoot it down. In this particular story, the good news for whoever isn't lying is that it's a Phantom from DJI. The DJI software will log the flight paths (including altitude) and that information can be shown. It's a simple matter of plugging the flight controller into the computer, pulling that information, and you can see if the drone was 10' in the air or 250' in the air. Obviously the article doesn't get that information, but something tells me if the guy is being charge the police have pulled that information and it was up in the air. It's not hard to claim you used #8 birdshot and actually use something bigger.

post #5 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 10:27 AM
Administrator

i don't know, i'm kind of torn on this. the first article i read about this the other day said the drone pilots were hired by the neighbors to take photos of their property, and might have flown over merideths's property on accident. the article posted here only says it was first seen over the neighbor's house and "the neighbor confirms that"

this article also says "the drone pilot decided to stop his vehicle and get an electronic eyeful" there was no mention of that in the article i read a few days ago, and merideth only casually mentioned after the fact that his daughter was tanning at that time and he didn't know if that's what they were trying film or not.

sounds like either his story is changing, or one of the news sources is trying to push an opinion or something

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #6 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 12:34 PM
PSN alphadong11

There was another article that said his 16yo daughter was laying out by the pool. It's like the movie Porky's but in the Skynet era.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Kentucky man shoots down drone spying on 16-year-old daughter

But then in an interview with link to the source interview, it never comes up.

Kentucky man shoots down drone hovering over his backyard | Ars Technica
BWAL likes this.

Quote:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #7 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 12:37 PM
Administrator

reminds me of this lol

Fox News Analyst: First American To Shoot Down A Domestic Spy Drone 'Will Become A Folk Hero' - Business Insider

'65 Fastback
'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

post #8 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 12:46 PM
Rent Asunder!

hmm... I'm sure you could find a way to hack a drone, right? That's probably what I'd do. Hack it, take control of it myself, and then calmly fly it right back to the owner's house. lol

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #9 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 01:50 PM
Turbo > blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
hmm... I'm sure you could find a way to hack a drone, right? That's probably what I'd do. Hack it, take control of it myself, and then calmly fly it right into a pond. lol
ftfy
RDY4WAR likes this.

Turbo build thread

sig by xocolleenox
Convertible Crew #27
post #10 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 01:54 PM
Made in U.S.A.

Saw this, interested in how it turns out. I've thought about using drones for aerial photos of job sites and houses. Taking a photo of a building or house, I wouldn't want to be right over the house. I would end up being over someone else's property to get a good vantage point beyond just having an aerial view.
post #11 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 05:31 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
Saw this, interested in how it turns out. I've thought about using drones for aerial photos of job sites and houses. Taking a photo of a building or house, I wouldn't want to be right over the house. I would end up being over someone else's property to get a good vantage point beyond just having an aerial view.
It's a pretty cut and dry case actually. City law forbids discharging a firearm within city limits. Doesn't matter that he shot at a drone, or if it were a 30 point buck. He broke the law for shooting his gun inside city limits. Not sure if that is punishable by fine, jail time, etc.

The real thing is how the judge reads it. Was the drone trespassing and a potential safety/security threat? If it was filming his daughter, I'd side more with the homeowner. If it was legitimately filming another house for real estate purposes (which I doubt, don't really see that helping the heavily staged real estate pictures much) then sadly I have to side with the drone owner. Granted, he shouldn't be flying it over other's property.

We'll have to see what was on the recording and what the flight log says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #12 of 41 Old August 1st, 2015, 07:53 PM
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
If it was legitimately filming another house for real estate purposes (which I doubt, don't really see that helping the heavily staged real estate pictures much) then sadly I have to side with the drone owner. Granted, he shouldn't be flying it over other's property.
Drones are used quite often in real estate photos. Obviously not for a $100,000 house but you know what I mean. I guess I'd have to see the house to give an opinion on if it was being used for that purpose but even then nothing says they weren't. Hopefully law enforcement can see all of the captured data with nothing deleted, etc.
post #13 of 41 Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
hmm... I'm sure you could find a way to hack a drone, right? That's probably what I'd do. Hack it, take control of it myself, and then calmly fly it right back to the owner's house. lol
I'm sorry, that's not what you would do. That might be what you would claim to do on the internet, but you wouldn't because you don't know how. Nothing personal in that statement. I just get a good laugh when people online act as a "smart tough guy" when in reality they don't know anything about the topic at hand.

Back 20 years ago you could simply try to find the control frequency, send out a stronger signal, and hijack the controls. On modern RC planes/quads you have to set up the Tx and Rx before flight and bind them together. This sets up a "handshake" that has 2 encryptions to prevent someone else from controlling. Not only is it encrypted, the signal also hops to different frequencies if the one it's on becomes too noisy. Bottom line, you're not hijacking controls on a modern RC quad without major electronic know how, programming, and equipment.

What you could do if you happened to know the frequency of their video Tx on the quad (again, knowing this w/out actually having the quad is going to be tough) is transmit your own signal on that same frequency. This would cause them to pick up your video signal and lose the one on the quads (more likely it would just come across as static from the 2 signals interfering). This works because the video signals aren't encrypted and anyone can hop on them. But on a Phantom like the quad in question, if the pilot lost video they just flip the return to home and it flies way up in the air and automatically returns home.

post #14 of 41 Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:47 AM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
I'm sorry, that's not what you would do. That might be what you would claim to do on the internet, but you wouldn't because you don't know how. Nothing personal in that statement. I just get a good laugh when people online act as a "smart tough guy" when in reality they don't know anything about the topic at hand.

Back 20 years ago you could simply try to find the control frequency, send out a stronger signal, and hijack the controls. On modern RC planes/quads you have to set up the Tx and Rx before flight and bind them together. This sets up a "handshake" that has 2 encryptions to prevent someone else from controlling. Not only is it encrypted, the signal also hops to different frequencies if the one it's on becomes too noisy. Bottom line, you're not hijacking controls on a modern RC quad without major electronic know how, programming, and equipment.

What you could do if you happened to know the frequency of their video Tx on the quad (again, knowing this w/out actually having the quad is going to be tough) is transmit your own signal on that same frequency. This would cause them to pick up your video signal and lose the one on the quads (more likely it would just come across as static from the 2 signals interfering). This works because the video signals aren't encrypted and anyone can hop on them. But on a Phantom like the quad in question, if the pilot lost video they just flip the return to home and it flies way up in the air and automatically returns home.
It's a joke, not a dick. Don't take it so hard. I thought it was obvious I was joking but evidently not obvious enough for those who have a little sand in their hooch. Pretty much everybody here knows I'd be the one to fire the first shot at it.
foxfive likes this.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #15 of 41 Old August 3rd, 2015, 10:43 AM
ayyy lmao

Yaaaaay Louisville! This whole thing has been a soup sandwich since it started. The dude came out saying that it was hovering like 10 feet over his backyard and was looking into his windows and then the drone pilot came out with the GPS and showed it being above 200 feet.

Honestly, I think it's just a clear cut case of this dude being a second amendment warrior and overreacting. Especially beings that it happened in Hillview. I used to live near there not too long ago and there are some interesting individuals out there.

Instagram - Cookiewhistle

post #16 of 41 Old August 3rd, 2015, 02:15 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

I'm completely torn on this matter as well. Drones are good and well if just flying around, but I feel like the ability to abuse them is so high that it instills fear into people when it comes to their privacy. If I were in my backyard by the pool enjoying a drink, I wouldn't be happy if a drone was just hovering above me with a camera. Since I'm a dude and this is highly unlikely, I'm sure a woman would feel even more violated if this happened to them. I feel people have a reasonable right to privacy when they are on their private land and drone flyers should respect this. In the same token, drones being shot down in neighborhoods is dangerous as "what comes up must come down". Reminds me of people getting hit by stray bullets on July 4th or New Years.

I'm curious, would you face the same chargers if you were to shoot down the drone with a pellet gun or other form of non-lethal tactics such as a sling shot? I know these drones aren't cheap so the cost of destroying one is high.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #17 of 41 Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:33 PM
PSN alphadong11

nets. net guns everywere. will set it up like they do a missle defense system.

Quote:
post #18 of 41 Old August 3rd, 2015, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

I am with the drone owner unless he wasn't hovering 200ft off the ground or was taking video of some girl tanning regardless of her age. The guy who discharged his firearm needs to be reminded that its against the law. Maybe a fine or a little bit of prison time (idk what the penalties are) but if you can't shoot at a aircraft such as a helicopter, then you certainly should not be allowed to shoot at a drone.
post #19 of 41 Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:43 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

If the dude is being creepy with the drone I would shoot it down. I guess it would be a judgement call. I didn't read the whole post but what are the felony charges? I though airspace violations were FAA related. The FAA hates drones. I would think a drone being shot at in airspace would almost be impossible to prosecute. You may have discharging a firearm in a residential area or something like that but I don't see much else.

These drones are getting a little out of hand in my opinion and need better regulations. Either that or require a special license to have a camera attached. I can see sex offenders using these things. Either that or build an interceptor drone and get into a dogfight lol.
post #20 of 41 Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:57 PM
PSN alphadong11

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfive View Post
If the dude is being creepy with the drone I would shoot it down. I guess it would be a judgement call. I didn't read the whole post but what are the felony charges? I though airspace violations were FAA related. The FAA hates drones. I would think a drone being shot at in airspace would almost be impossible to prosecute. You may have discharging a firearm in a residential area or something like that but I don't see much else.

These drones are getting a little out of hand in my opinion and need better regulations. Either that or require a special license to have a camera attached. I can see sex offenders using these things. Either that or build an interceptor drone and get into a dogfight lol.
Way ahead of you chief

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Splash 1 COCK SUCKAHHHHHHHHH!

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Proximity based pre routed GPS routes with facial recognition (cell phone cameras already have this) and add a laser. Flynet skynet

I can say anything right now and it will look like he likes my comment....

Foxfive bobs for dill pickles wearing womens panties.
foxfive likes this.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page